Thread: Hello Everyone! Quick Noob Question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hello Everyone! Quick Noob Question.

Hi guys/gals, I'm pretty new to PL and I had a question about items. I'm a lvl20 int mage and i was wondering are there any items that I should have by now(armor, weapons, whatever) or any items that a mage at lvl20 would want to have? I have been mostly using items that have been dropped or given as quest items and a couple items I've purchased from merchants. Is this the best way to go or should I be doing something else?

Guardian of Alterra King Richie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Go to the balefort town and find the wyldwood in there you will find a castle go in there and farm the goblin king he will drop "pink" items that you should have that will be probably the best items you can get at this time

Pink items = Legendary items !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Richie is correct, but did not really say how to go about farming the Goblin King. I will elaborate on this. I recommend you do not farm the Goblin King alone if you are only level 20. Bring a few friends along to help you unless you plan to spend a ton on potions. Also note that when facing the Goblin King, he has these "suicidal bombers" in his room who literally carry bombs and explode on impact. You will need to either get a bear to "Stomp" them away or, in your case, "Firestorm" them away.
    TheNooob- lvl 50 Paladin

I have other characters, but none are worth mentioning...yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another slightly noob question... coming from a level 50
    As a 50 who goes on no more than an hour a day, how does one go about making a profit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about later in the game, is it better to use good dropped items rather then buy them? And to hijack my own thread, what determines the items price? I know certain pinks or others item aren't as valuable as others, how would I, as someone who pretty much just started, go about selling or trading items without getting ripped off or cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vafie View Post
    As a 50 who goes on no more than an hour a day, how does one go about making a profit?
    You farm the rares and sell em! only real way to make big money.

Quote Originally Posted by MICRO.LE View Post
    What about later in the game, is it better to use good dropped items rather then buy them? And to hijack my own thread, what determines the items price? I know certain pinks or others item aren't as valuable as others, how would I, as someone who pretty much just started, go about selling or trading items without getting ripped off or cheated?
    later in the game, the dropped items are the BEST, bought items from NPCs are very, very bad. An items price, really, only depends on the rarity and supply and demand. If you have items you think may be worth something, simply go to the room in balefort castle towne and search up the item. There, you should get a decent price on the items worth.
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8743/cerealsigpicfinal.png
    Signature Credits: Rebel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MICRO.LE View Post
    If this truly is your first time through, then just enjoy it & learn on your own. The game is designed for you to succeed (i.e. no death penalty) & there are some fun surprises waiting for you that it would be wrong to spoil. There are no points for running perfect & believe me your first time through the ao3 gauntlet will be epic & worth the wait. It's even better with a bunch of fellow noobs, trying to put things they've only heard of into action. Lol, was that a growl? Did you see what killed me?

You are supposed to get slaughtered, regroup, replan & overcome. When it works right & your group is cool, this game play element really delivers.

My advice: try everything out yoursef for the best gear. Use performance as the critera because some stats can be misleading. Don't buy anything your first time through; the joy of a usable drop that makes you better is a rare treasure. Enjoy that while you can since even if it goes to 55 soon, if you play for three months, you will send most of your time capped & looking for gears you missed will give you something to do.

I've seen this sentiment expressed more eloquently elsewhere on threads like this & I think it's the consensus: just play it out. It's a good game & there's no need to skip phases by knowing too much too soon. Each phase is fun, enjoy it.
    Xymorg --- Xymian --- Xymli

A E O
    Proud owner of 20 charm points! /arcane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vafie View Post
    I have permanent ADD, so I find myself on for only a few minutes sometimes...so I hit the bonus areas in Dark Forest and Glumdoll Cemetery heavily. I can do them in a minute or so in full Keepers and can make 500-1000 gold in a single run. Mind you, this isn't much, but every little bit helps. Plus, I've had luck selling various colored gem staves on CS for up to 2500. Haven't managed to bag the big one yet, but I did snag a Dreamer's Elven Helmet out of there, which sold for a nice chunk. Drop rates in both areas are rather low.

If I have a few more minutes, I actually farm the bonus area in Skeller Crunch for gold and drops that are guaranteed to liquidate for 100+ GP each. Only the dark wands seem to be even remotely in demand on CS, so this is more of a quick area to pound through in 3-4 minutes for 2500-3000. I've also been known to create instances in both Macroc Homestead and Still Farm and rush the bosses there for drops. Juices usually sell for a little bit, and they drop sort of frequently. If it looks cool, someone will probably buy it for 500 GP on CS just because.

Lastly, I like to raid Plasma Pyramid for gold and sort of decent pinks (overfarmed, anyone?)...this is still tricky for me, as I'm just a bit too squishy to run this in full Keepers. I have to switch to a Laser Wand/Gurgox Eye so I don't get the death, which slows me down a lot. You can snag 7K or so out of here...but a better bet is to start AO1 and just run it from beginning to end. Quick trash, good liquidating and 13K gold in 10-12 minutes if you're an enchantress wearing Keepers. It's boring, though...so just running Keepers proper is a lot more fun (AO3-2). I have 600+ deaths for a reason, though...

ADD, like I said.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 01-26-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Yep, tons of ways to get in little snippets of play. That's why I love this game. If you can, try to make friends your level and playing in areas your level. Then you can join them when you have a little time and try to drop items you can wear. That saves TONS of gold plus it's great fun to play with friends.

Star light, star bright...