Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Addiction-My story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Default Video Game Addiction-My story

About a year ago, my life was going well, I was playing soccer, acing tests, and having fun with friends and family. I enjoyed video games as well like AL, FIFA, NHL, clash of clans, etc. One day, I was gaming for almost 7 hours on a rainy day. School was out, and I had taken a break from soccer. My wrists started hurting immediately during one of my games. I thought it was just soreness, until I woke up next morning. And the next morning. So I went to doctor, and I had Tendinitis. I was scared, because I thought I would have to get surgery. The doctor told me not to play video games, but for some reason, I couldn't control myself. I would still log on, even with my wrist brace. My mom had found out, and she took away my games for a while. I was glad my parents were there, because most parents nowadays just let their kids still play. I felt really sad and angry, which proved that I had an addiction. Luckily, school started the next day, and I told my friends what had happened. Suprisingly, my case wasn't even bad. One of my friends had so bad of an addiction, he played during class. Another one used 35 GB of data, just playing a game. I looked at myself and I said "Dude, what could happen if you don't stop your addiction?" So I made a list of things to help me
    • Play sports or go outside-I already do this, but I included longer workouts, which left less time for gaming.
    • Don't play more then 1-2 hours on a school day- Thank God my grades never dipped, because I would've disappointed myself a lot. Do your homework. It will leave you better off. Since I don't play grinding games anymore, clash of clans only takes up 20 minutes of my day
    • Spend more family time-What a lot of people do during an addiction, is that they start replacing family time or other important things, just for the game. Don't take a day off of work just for a new expansion. It's not going anywhere.

The point is, don't let any game, or any THING, lead you to addiction. My case is much luckier than others, but still use this one to remind you.
    Last edited by obee; 11-02-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Turn your addiction into a job. Then get paid to be an addict. Eventually work crushes your soul and you hate the one thing you loved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    Turn your addiction into a job. Then get paid to be an addict. Eventually work crushes your soul and you hate the one thing you loved.
    Yes indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obee View Post
    About a year ago, my life was going well, I was playing soccer, acing tests, and having fun with friends and family. I enjoyed video games as well like AL, FIFA, NHL, clash of clans, etc. One day, I was gaming for almost 7 hours on a rainy day. School was out, and I had taken a break from soccer. My wrists started hurting immediately during one of my games. I thought it was just soreness, until I woke up next morning. And the next morning. So I went to doctor, and I had Tendinitis. I was scared, because I thought I would have to get surgery. The doctor told me not to play video games, but for some reason, I couldn't control myself. I would still log on, even with my wrist brace. My mom had found out, and she took away my games for a while. I felt really sad and angry, which proved that I had an addiction. Luckily, school started the next day, and I told my friends what had happened. Suprisingly, my case wasn't even bad. One of my friends had so bad of an addiction, he played during class. Another one used 35 GB of data, just playing a game. I looked at myself and I said "Dude, what could happen if you don't stop your addiction?" So I made a list of things to help me
    • Play sports or go outside-I already do this, but I included longer workouts, which left less time for gaming.
    • Don't play more then 1-2 hours on a school day- Thank God my grades never dipped, because I would've disappointed myself a lot. Do your homework. It will leave you better off.
    • Spend more family time-What a lot of people do during an addiction, is that they start replacing family time or other important things, just for the game. Don't take a day off of work just for a new expansion. It's not going anywhere.

The point is, don't let any game, or any THING, lead you to addiction. My case is much luckier than others, but still use this one to remind you.
    "About a year ago, my life was going well..." Well, what happened after? :O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Just play Wii sports.....

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

There's no such thing as addictions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    552 Posts

Solution: Time Management

I play longer that you do and still have time for my academics which I believe I am doing pretty well. I also have time for fitness and for social gatherings.
    duck dynasty falls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Repetitive strain injury is not a joke. I lost a university scholarship and a career because of it. That had nothing to do with computer games, but just plain overuse. If you are doing something repetitive with your hands, you need to take a 20 minute break every hour and do something else. Otherwise you can damage yourself for life in as little as 2 months from the first time you feel pain. Shaking it out and keeping going is not a solution.

As for video game addiction, I have to wonder where your parents were all this time. When I was a kid/teen, there was no way on earth I'd be allowed to sit in front of a computer or TV for hours on end.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stelo View Post
    "About a year ago, my life was going well..." Well, what happened after? :O
    lol im good now I don't play as much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Repetitive strain injury is not a joke. I lost a university scholarship and a career because of it. That had nothing to do with computer games, but just plain overuse. If you are doing something repetitive with your hands, you need to take a 20 minute break every hour and do something else. Otherwise you can damage yourself for life in as little as 2 months from the first time you feel pain. Shaking it out and keeping going is not a solution.

As for video game addiction, I have to wonder where your parents were all this time. When I was a kid/teen, there was no way on earth I'd be allowed to sit in front of a computer or TV for hours on end.
    During that little month span of summer, my parents were on a pretty long business trip, and I was at my aunt's house. So when they came back, they were pretty mad that I had gotten this

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I myself play in school days, I do my homework in class literally me and my friends get productive in the last hour. BUT, i dont over do it. The only injury I got from this was eye blurness, thru radioactiveness of devices. I myself have the best grade in class. Infact in all 4 sections I was 4th place. I never knew why, maybe its because when its time to learn, I take it seriously and neglect distractions. That means almost all of my teachers despise me because they cant answer my questions and cant defend what they stand for when me and them have a debate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gensin For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

And btw, Its not just videogames. I literally have 4 tabs atm, twitter, tumblr, facebook and another lady gaga website. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gensin View Post
    And btw, Its not just videogames. I literally have 4 tabs atm, twitter, tumblr, facebook and another lady gaga website. XD
    XDXD

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

And also, I find it funny that I never get sick or injured in playing or surfin the net. The device I used apprently just get blown or get broken.

5 laptops broken
    3 ipad broken
    2 phones broken
    3 more devices which are not broken but the charger apparently stopped working because I play on it while it charges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Im a Tiny bit addicted too, but thats fine, as long as i am not hurt by it. And, my grades and social life is not heavily impacted EITHER.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

You play this game, so you have to; must and is ready; for the stuff involve and things that came with playing game. Its simple if its causing you harm then just stop, if you dont then you choose to hurt yourself.
    Kronos Divine Guild Development PICS HERE -- PVP VIDS HERE AL Retiree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

We're all AL-coholics..

Joke aside, you should spend more time offline. The game is just humans' way of coping with long term goals. Short term goals are more manageable to us and more realistic.

Don't make the game a priority. Find some other hobbies. Pixels are certainly not the most life-fulfilling thing in the world.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

It's shameful the amount of games that kids today play. I lived outside and at friends houses when I wasn't in school. It's mind boggling what goes on at people's homes now that these kids play to the extent that they do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    It's shameful the amount of games that kids today play. I lived outside and at friends houses when I wasn't in school. It's mind boggling what goes on at people's homes now that these kids play to the extent that they do.
    I always went outside, but some of my friends spend all of their time on social media sites and stuff. It's crazy. I don't play grinding games anymore, so base MMOS like clash take up 20 minutes.
    Last edited by obee; 11-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.