Thread: I think I've figured out the disconnect issue....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default I think I've figured out the disconnect issue....

Since the Planar Tombs was released last week, I've been disconnected dozens of times. From Saturday to Monday, I was disconnected every time I tried to do a run through any of the tombs. Then yesterday I read a suggestion in this forum that stated possibly the sorcerer skill Time Shift was causing the issue. Sam posted that it was not true, but I figured anything is worth a try....

So yesterday, after two unsuccessful runs with a party consisting of a warrior, rogue, and 2 mages (including myself), I suggested to the other mage that we both stop using Time Shift and see if things are any better. And guess what.... we finished that run without a disconnect. On the previous 2 attempts, multiple players had been disconnected.

Now I do NOT think Time Shift alone is causing the issue. I've now done a ton of testing, and here is my opinion on the matter:

I'm not sure why, but it appears that the STS servers are having issues handling more extreme situations, perhaps due to a recent increase in the number of players playing AL? Or new servers? I can't say the exactly what has changed because I don't have that information, but here is what I am experiencing.... Any time the pulls become really large we start to experience some lag... Then if the intensity continues for some time, eventually disconnects result.

When running non-elite tombs like WT4, the pulls are indeed large, but they are over quick as those mobs die fast. So maybe some lag, but the disconnects don't occur nearly as often. But because Planar tombs is elite, the mobs don't die fast, so we tend to experience multiple AoE skills being used at the same time over and over again, which causes more bandwidth to be needed to keep up with all that's happening.

Time Shift is the longest and most intense of all the AoE skills, so that tends to cause the most stress on the server. Fireball also does, but its effect does not last nearly as long as Time Shift.

While this is certainly not a solution to the problem, nor will it eliminate all disconnects, you will most likely have better chances if you run without using Time Shift, or even Fireball for that matter. The problem is that without either of those 2 skills, a sorcerer doesn't provide much help to the party. So in my case, I keep using Fireball, but I eliminated Time Shift and I'm having better luck staying connected now. I'd also suggest not running with multiple sorcerers in the party.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Instead of time shift someone using Ethyl helps provide some crowd control...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Since the Planar Tombs was released last week, I've been disconnected dozens of times. From Saturday to Monday, I was disconnected every time I tried to do a run through any of the tombs. Then yesterday I read a suggestion in this forum that stated possibly the sorcerer skill Time Shift was causing the issue. Sam posted that it was not true, but I figured anything is worth a try....

So yesterday, after two unsuccessful runs with a party consisting of a warrior, rogue, and 2 mages (including myself), I suggested to the other mage that we both stop using Time Shift and see if things are any better. And guess what.... we finished that run without a disconnect. On the previous 2 attempts, multiple players had been disconnected.

Now I do NOT think Time Shift alone is causing the issue. I've now done a ton of testing, and here is my opinion on the matter:

I'm not sure why, but it appears that the STS servers are having issues handling more extreme situations, perhaps due to a recent increase in the number of players playing AL? Or new servers? I can't say the exactly what has changed because I don't have that information, but here is what I am experiencing.... Any time the pulls become really large we start to experience some lag... Then if the intensity continues for some time, eventually disconnects result.

When running non-elite tombs like WT4, the pulls are indeed large, but they are over quick as those mobs die fast. So maybe some lag, but the disconnects don't occur nearly as often. But because Planar tombs is elite, the mobs don't die fast, so we tend to experience multiple AoE skills being used at the same time over and over again, which causes more bandwidth to be needed to keep up with all that's happening.

Time Shift is the longest and most intense of all the AoE skills, so that tends to cause the most stress on the server. Fireball also does, but its effect does not last nearly as long as Time Shift.

While this is certainly not a solution to the problem, nor will it eliminate all disconnects, you will most likely have better chances if you run without using Time Shift, or even Fireball for that matter. The problem is that without either of those 2 skills, a sorcerer doesn't provide much help to the party. So in my case, I keep using Fireball, but I eliminated Time Shift and I'm having better luck staying connected now. I'd also suggest not running with multiple sorcerers in the party.

Nah bro your cat pulled out your Ethernet cable

Or wagon pig rolled over itName:  image.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  163.8 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

I think the Amazon launch had something to deal with this as well.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Yes, I noticed that when running with mages I dc'd a LOT more than if no mage in party. Like 100% rate of a dc happening with mage in party and runs/groups without mage which lasted for ages. Of course it couldn't be the "class" so it had to be something in their skills.

Ran with a mage last night and he unspecced clock however a few minutes into the run I disconnected.... we looked over his skills. Ice was the one which which seemed most similar to clock in that it both "roots" (well freezes) the target(s) and does DoT so he unspecced that as well.

With no clock and no ice in the spec, we ran for a very long time completing several runs and nobody else disconnected from our party at all that whole entire time. Similarly today when asking a mage to not use clock or ice, parties ran FAR more smoothly.

I strongly suggest devs run their tests in planar tombs 1, using a party with 3-4 mages using clock AND ice skills among their spec to amplify the issue and pinpoint whatever is causing this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

-- I think the codes that they used andoid,iOS,,PC. Like in creating website you need multiple codes for different browsers to run or to load nicely...:-) :-) :-) I' used PC recently.no DC occured..:-) I do 30 to 40 runs no DC.. but when I used android every 10 runs I DC 2 to 3 times ,...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerasa View Post
    -- I think the codes that they used andoid,iOS,,PC. Like in creating website you need multiple codes for different browsers to run or to load nicely...:-) :-) :-) I' used PC recently.no DC occured..:-) I do 30 to 40 runs no DC.. but when I used android every 10 runs I DC 2 to 3 times ,...
    I'm using chrome and still DC... I think OS is not the problem. IMO most likely the cause is Time Shift. But what good a sorc with no TS skill in PVE?
    [Newcomx, Newcomy, & Newcomz]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

The best way not to dc right now, it's not to log in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts

ive also noticed aside from time shift, warrior's windmill made me dc a couple of times. could it also be that whats causing the lag is DoTAoE skills?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah...i saw that every time i dcd...someone was activated time shift !....maybe thats the problem. :O
    IGN:Auso