Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Mage Build Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pure Mage Build Question

Hey gang. First thread on the Spacetime Forums, so go easy on me. I've been trolling for a few days, and I wanted to get your opinion on the real dirt between running a Pure Mage Enchantress with a wand and an eye/bracer/shield versus running her with a staff. It seems like there are benefits to both approaches, and maybe some information which I'm just not clear on. I hope you can clear this up for me.

My understanding so far is that an Enchantress run with a wand and a shield (let's call it a shield...I know it isn't a shield, but it's just easier) does less damage overall, but affords your character more armor and stat bonuses in general (from the extra piece of equipment). An Enchantress run with a staff, however, is said to be able to do more damage overall.

It seems like there are a couple of different ways look at this, though. Currently, I run a Level 37 Enchantress, and I use the wand/shield setup exclusively. I have a staff as well which I regularly upgrade at the Consignment Store (every 5 levels or so if I don't find something), and Yanis' EXTREMELY NICE list of stuff is very helpful with this. Maybe my wand is just really good compared to the staff, but I've only noticed a 2-3 point difference in spell damage across the board between the two when I actually look at the Skills page with the different equipments. I don't really feel like doing the math right now, but it seems like my overall adjusted DPS might actually be higher with a wand in some cases, based on the additional critical hit bonuses given by the extra piece of equipment (constant use of Blessing of Might at Level 5 notwithstanding) and the rather nominal difference in damage.

Have you guys run across this scenario? Generally, I buy equipment which affords me a high mana regeneration rate, and I've noticed that eq like that usually yields a bit less damage than eq that is obviously FOR DAMAGE. The for damage eq, though, typically has crud for stats. It shouldn't matter, though, because I usually buy the same type of wand and staff to be consistent. What am I not doing right? Are the numbers on the Skills tab maybe wrong? Or is there not that big a difference between the wand and staff set up. I know someone charted it out...is that available anywhere? Sorry to be a pain, but this is driving me nuts.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

You got a pretty good understanding in the benefits and downfalls .

Anyways, keep having both wands and staffs, theres on right weapon for every situation.

You were saying that you use wand for DPS, thats actually not good. DPS Means Damage per second for only the weapon. DPS does not increase your spell damage. So using a staff with lower DPS will actually increase your damage across the board.

Wand is pretty much just for extra armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, as a bird i usually use my cyber wing and void talon to fight mobs.. And then switch to Cyber blaster of void to fight the boss. 1h and shield for mobs and 2h for bosses. I love the defense that shields gives because my class gets a lot of aggro and i tend to die fast with a 2h handed weapon.. EVen with Cyber.. My talon/wing combo gives me 119 defense while a 2h weapon gives me 85 defense... Major difference
    One man's trash, can be another man's treasure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right...DPS on the stat page (which is just the weapon) versus overall character damage per second. Gotcha. So, a better question then would be...is there a stat that affects overall magic damage with skills? I notice that the different weapons do change the damage the skills do, but I can't seem to figure out what influences this. Is it just the weapon damage ranges? Or is it kind of arbitrary; like a secret stat that we can't see? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Unruly View Post
    My talon/wing combo gives me 119 defense while a 2h weapon gives me 85 defense... Major difference
    That IS a huge difference. I will continue to carry both around...though I can usually hang in Ao2 with just my wand and shield solo. No issues yet.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    Right...DPS on the stat page (which is just the weapon) versus overall character damage per second. Gotcha. So, a better question then would be...is there a stat that affects overall magic damage with skills? I notice that the different weapons do change the damage the skills do, but I can't seem to figure out what influences this. Is it just the weapon damage ranges? Or is it kind of arbitrary; like a secret stat that we can't see? Thanks!
    Int Boosts your Magic Spells Traumatically. I haven't taken any time to look at difference weapon damage makes on spells, but its enough to make me use staffs almost all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Level 35 Mamboza's Voodoo Fire Pin right now; it stacks up to just about every staff I've looked at against it. More AoE damage would be nice, but I bet I need to look for bigger eq. Best staff I've found so far is a Level 30 Brain-freeze Icebolt Staff, and THAT'S the one with the armor on it. Sounds like I've got it backwards...but I already leave piles of corpses everywhere I go, so I'm not too worried about it yet. Probably do more looking around when I get to Level 40.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

When you start at around lvl 45 go get a apep staff, it will really help you level through, trust me on this.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Keep in mind that the Brainfreeze staff is lvl 30, Your using a lvl 35 weapon. You can't accurately compare them very well because of the 5 level difference.

Good Level 35 staffs are zombie voodoo staff and voodoo master staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KK...lemme take a look at those and I'll post back and let you know what I find out. I think I've seen both at the Consignment Store. I'll check there now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the Skills tab reports back a 4-5 point damage reduction across the board on every one of my skills with the staff equipped (I got a Zombie's Voodoo Fire Staff). I think that's because there's no Int on the staff...but I should test it to make sure. I guess the best way to see if that's accurate is to test it in Ao1's boss area solo, which I'll try right now. I'll be back...or dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seth sucks, BTW.

So, I definitely do more damage overall with a staff...but it doesn't appear to be with my skills, unfortunately. I've read a bit here on the forums which suggest that a staff directly increases AoE Skill damage, and this doesn't seem to be the case. What does seem to be the case is that the staff punches through armor more efficiently, and I was regularly hitting 180 damage every 1.1 seconds with Blessing of Might on (and even 100+ without crits) versus 60-80 damage every second with a wand. That's a big difference! Skill damage appeared to be unaffected, both on smaller monsters and bosses. The "AoE Mage Blender" effect was about the same with both set ups. Death was a lot more apparent with the staff (I didn't even attempt Seth with the staff, since I have to spam pots during most of that fight when I'm soloing him); I figure that this is because of the reduced armor.

I can absolutely see the merit in both set ups, though, and I appreciate you guys helping me with this. Please let me know if this sounds right to you guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer using a wand and a shield, although it cause lesser damage. Using a staff if I didnt spam my pot in time I will be dead, then gotta start over. Gotta farm for a good wand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I prefer the wand/shield set-up myself. It allows me to stack on a high enough M/S regen rate that the only reason I'd ever run out of mana is if I draw aggro and have to use Magic Shield. Staff users may be able to clear mobs a little faster, but if you're not soloing, it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's more or less what I ended up settling on. I take a huge hit on M/s with the staff setup, and it seems like the staff is only really useful for my play style when I'm in a big group, since I don't need to worry about drawing aggro quite as much. I solo quite a bit and I noticed that the set up with the staff isn't quite sustainable without tons of mana pots. With the wand and shield, there's almost no pot usage except during boss fights. And for tanking for a group as an Enchantress, I think I'd go with the wand everytime. And mana shield. 18 M/s makes for a pretty nice wall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thought I'd resurrect this dead thread to amend my story on this topic. At lower levels, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the damage on the two setups, which is where my confusion was coming in -- the wand seemed better every time (plus, I was using holiday gear, which increases damage). There is an enormous difference at higher levels, though. I use an Apep Sunkiller Staff of Isis now at Level 46 almost exclusively (for the AoE ice effect), and I clean through mobs in places like Ao2 like butter by myself. I read that a D'jinn Wand is my best bet for boss fights because of the procs. But I also read that bosses are immune to this sort of thing. I will have to experiment and maybe start a new thread on it later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

A lot of weapon effects work on bosses. Skill effects, no. Weapon effects, yes. Not sure about all bosses, but works on lots of them. Try it.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Bosses are immune to root and freeze, and are not affected as much as common mobs by some stuns. Afaik all othe procs and skills effects work on them.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok.. so staff for lvl 46 is good.... what is apep? sorry the noob question... i dont hang out much in forums so i am not aware of the terms..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

search for apep under weapons in the auction, youll see the staff