Thread: STR-Mage, DEX-Mage or INT-Mage?? advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question STR-Mage, DEX-Mage or INT-Mage?? advantages and disadvantages?

Hey Guys...
    first im sorry about my english. Im 14 Years old and im from germany.
    also i want to know which is the best mage? STR,INT or DEX ?
    Please post all advantages and disadvantages here, too.
    whit which i have the most damage/sec and defense?

XOXO Adrian ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Int Mage - Huge damage, low survivability
    Str Mage - Lowest damage, high survivabilty
    Dex Mage - Medium damage, low survivability (slightly higher than Int Mage since you will be doing less damage, getting less aggro)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Just go pure int u do lots of dmg that way....just gotta keep close eye on your health. When u have another mage in ur party to revive u (which is almost all the time) its really not that big of deal.
    56 Majormajic - 55 Majortank - 5 Majorfive
    Pocket Legend Inc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Dextress does quite a bit of damage while buffed and can survive relatively well while wearing a talon and wing. One point in mana shield is recommended.
    Paladin is very practical in both pve and pvp with its high survivability.
    Mage acts as a good little nuke. If you have someone taking the damage for you, by all means go all out and you'll knock out the enemies. If you don't have someone taking the damage... you're probably going to die a lot. For more survivability I'd suggest a wand and eye as well as just one point in mana shield.

For all of these, you want to keep as much INT as possible. Dex/str builds may be easier to survive with, but any hybrid sacrifices mana, mana regeneration, and spell damage. If you put as much int as possible, you can get a couple base points in mana regeneration and a slightly larger mana pool.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Dex Mages are uncommon in the game due to them being kinda the 3rd place class for mages.

Str and Int are tied due to players playing styles and what they consider the best.

Ask yourself this: Do you like vaporizing mobs or do you like a good ol long battle but very high chance of surviving?

Int Mages Vaporize everything in their paths, but can die very easy if a enemy gets ahold of them.

Str Mages do decent damage, but it certainly is a lot less then int mages. They can survive anything and have to chase enemies around with a sword.

Choose which class you are based on which playing style sounds the best to you, the advantages and disadvantages of both classes are pretty even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why dex mages arent as played as paladins, i was full int mage and repec'd to be able to use death set (talon) and i do 230 dps and over 270 with the dmg increase spell, add in aoe damage, heal & rev and for a level fifty my mage kicks ***. maybe i just enjoy the dps side of things? seems to me a paladin is a watered down mage that's scared to die..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    I don't understand why dex mages arent as played as paladins, i was full int mage and repec'd to be able to use death set (talon) and i do 230 dps and over 270 with the dmg increase spell, add in aoe damage, heal & rev and for a level fifty my mage kicks ***. maybe i just enjoy the dps side of things? seems to me a paladin is a watered down mage that's scared to die..?
    You're sort of right
    The thing about Dex mages is that, since enchantress skill damage is increased by Int through stat driven skills, Dex mages sacrifice skill damage for single target weapon damage. They can provide excellent single target DPS when buffed but are still not as good as birds, especially since a Dex Mage will want some Int for skill damage as well. So they are not quite the single target threat birds are, they are weaker with AOE than Int mages, and don't have any real advantage over either IMO. Pallies in a sense are as you describe them from a PvE perspective (though having a person who can withstand a nuke and Rez can be helpful at times). However pally is a great PvP build as well
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
    Because every Dex-Mage out there has prefered the Avian bird over dex mage. Dex mage is a weak int mage and avian bird knock off, so that's why its not too common.

You should try a Avian bird, you will most likely enjoy it more then dex mage, if you enjoy the dps side of things.

Also to add onto what Royce said, as a Dex Mage, you may be hitting 500's-800's damage, but you are hitting very weak for your spells. A Int mage can hit up to 800 damage per enemy with a fire blast spell. All aoe damage spells combined, easily thousands of damage more per second then a dex mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha i have a 55 bird too, working on mage again but i do completely see your point about bird knock off, still in a one on one boss situation, my dps rocks and like i said the power up spell that mages get i forget what its called is very nice when used with a high speed weapon like talon not to mention the 11 damage ring, 273 dps with 113 (i think) ac and all the tricks of a mage.. its a fun combo.. maybe im just a dps junkie and i will admit i kinda wasted 60 points as a newbie in str when i wasn't sure how to play so i was never full on pure int maybe i should give it a go since i have pure dexterity bird? i would have to buy shadows, that's not cheap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Haha I usually can't stand birds and I love my dextress Spell damage may not be the best, but the crit is nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am glad someone out there likes what i call the battlemage build, patent pending.. it is alot of fun, i am sorta tossing around the idea of full int mage for a bit at least.. we shall see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylove View Post
    Haha I usually can't stand birds and I love my dextress Spell damage may not be the best, but the crit is nice.
    Ladylove, I was meaning to ask you. How much base dex/int did you put? My friend said to go all dex but I said "wouldn't having NO int blow?" so yeah help me out thx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeNSiNs View Post
    Ladylove, I was meaning to ask you. How much base dex/int did you put? My friend said to go all dex but I said "wouldn't having NO int blow?" so yeah help me out thx
    Personally I go min Dex for gear and the rest in Int. Without any Int your skills will be very weak (equivalent to a level one Mage lol except rank effects). The thing is Dex Mage is sort of an enigma, doing several things well but nothing the best, and if you want to focus on one particular aspect like weapon DPS, you could go pure Dex, but of course if you're going to do that, you might as well just play a bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Personally I go min Dex for gear and the rest in Int. Without any Int your skills will be very weak (equivalent to a level one Mage lol except rank effects). The thing is Dex Mage is sort of an enigma, doing several things well but nothing the best, and if you want to focus on one particular aspect like weapon DPS, you could go pure Dex, but of course if you're going to do that, you might as well just play a bird
    Yeah that's what I was thinking :/ dextress look nice to me because I like how they can shoot and cast spells, but the thing is I don't know how much minimum dex I need to equip the new gear. I'm talking about let's say I have 140 dex then I equip crap dex items to boost up so I can equip the higher dex gear. So many decisions x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeNSiNs View Post
    I've got the lowest possible dex I think. I boosted, so I've got plenty of int and just barely enough dex to wear the gear. I even wear an int helm. Lvl 25 Dreamers.