Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rogue, this is addictive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default New Rogue, this is addictive!

Hi guys

I found this game a few weeks ago, and now my house is a mess, my legs are hairy, and I don't even know what the date is anymore. If only I'd also found this forum, I've been stumbling along, no idea how I made it to 41. Double XP week was awesome

So be gentle with me, I have loads of (probably silly) questions. If you can answer any of these off the top of my head, that'd be great.

1) Why do people bother putting gems in things, they only offer a few extra points at best
    2) Grand locked crates - I spent my precious platinum on two of them, nothing but rubbish...why do people go nuts over them?
    3) I'm a rogue, my mana is sooooooo slow to re-gen. I want a pet sorcerer! How can I make it faster to re-gen?
    4) Is DPS the same as damage? I know I'm a 'damage class', but I'm a little fuzzy on which things I'm supposed to focus on when buying things
    5) How important is strength/armour to a rogue?
    6) Mythic weapons, I heard that some of them level up...?? How does that work?
    7) I just bought a lepre (yay), which areas does it provide luck? I know it's good for 'farming', but what else can it do? Does it help when opening the crates you win from bosses? What about when turning in quests, and getting a reward, does it help to make the reward better? Or to get better stuff from Klaas?
    8) Pets, people sometimes ask me to change my pet, why? Does my pet do something undesirable? Maybe stun when they don't like that? Currently I just switch pets when they get hungry, I don't do it with any sort of tactics in mind.
    9) People talk about being scammed, how is it possible? Makes me scared to trade in case there is something I don't know about that I should be wary of.

I bet I'll think of a million more questions, but I'm just excited to find a forum so a bit of a blurt!!

TIA )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zestee For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

The reason people put gems in items is because they can get the better chance of winning in PvP then with a someone who uses no gems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

The reason people go nuts for locks lol is because you have a chance at getting mythic or arcane which are the best things to obtain in game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Every rogue has slow mana regen xD get a pet that will give u mana such as valkin their are other pets but I have bad memory lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,017 Posts

The rogue forums are wealth of information.

Enjoy the road to lvl 41, it will be the best time in game.

1. Don't worry gems right now, at cap you want to gem your gear and super them up. Means to stack them and earn bonus stats even better than one gem.
    2. Locked crates are a gamble, you can loot arcane and mythics, but they are very rare.
    3. Yep, mana sucks for rogue.
    4. DPS= your weapon Damage= your spells
    5. Put all your points in DEX.
    6. Mythic weapons do not level up, mythic gear does upgrade
    7. Wear lep when boss is about to die. Does not matter when you pop locked or anywhere else.
    8. Mali is good rogue pet. Yep swap them out so you don't pay gold to feed them.
    9. Don't lend items that is how they get scammed

HTH and enjoy Arlor!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Candylicks For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Dps and damage I really dont know the difference even tho I played the game for about 3 years just make sure both are high and since your rogue u need damage I think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Armor is not really important to a rogue dex is important so u can crit and dodge almost anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

DPS (Damage per second): This refers to how much damage you inflict per second with your weapon (aka auto).

DMG: This is your damage stat. This is an important measurement because the damage from skills (Pierce, Nox, Aimed, etc) are all based on DMG.

Basically, the difference is how hard can you hit (DMG) versus how much damage you can dish out over time (DPS).

You will notice that daggers tend to do less damage but have higher DPS because the attack speed is much faster versus the high damage bows.

In practice, it is always good to have both daggers and bows, since they serve different purposes.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Kaliiii come back bro :3
    YOU HAVE FAILED THIS GAME!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellysius For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I will answer the rest of your questions when I get into a PC.... Hard to type that much on phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

so...don't bother putting gems in unless I plan on fighting PVP?? (which I do not)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

1) Everyone wants whatever advantage they can get
    2) People open them in large quantities because they drop some of the best gear in the By large, I mean hundreds.
    3) Spec a few points into int, buy gear with int as a stat (along with dex), or get a mana regen pet such as jack
    4) DPS is damage per second
    5) It depends on what you're planning on doing. Rogue is mainly a dex-based character though
    6) The mythic set (armor/helm) can be upgraded to lv36, not any of the weapons. You may be thinking of last year's halloween mythics (lv36) which are now available in lv41 versions
    7) Lepre only affects direct drops from mobs or bosses. It does not affect allies (klaas/shazbot), quest returns, or chest opening
    8) Different pets give different bonuses (ex speed, dmg, armor, etc) and have different aa's (ex snare, buff, debuff, stun, panic, etc)
    9) Lending to "friends" and swapping out the item(s)/gold in trade (ex blinky to blight, lv10 captain axe to lv26 capatin axe, or 1,000,000 gold to 100,000 gold) are two of the big ones

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aquascaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Default My 2¢

1) Why do people bother putting gems in things, they only offer a few extra points at best

Gems are just a way to get a little bit of extra stats -- there are different gems out there, some quite desirable. PVP people adore them and if you have time and/or gems, why not?

2) Grand locked crates - I spent my precious platinum on two of them, nothing but rubbish...why do people go nuts over them?

Definitely a gamble and the good items are very rare. If you have the plat to waste, fine, but do not count on getting anything specific and you will be happier. If you want something specific, it probably is better to buy it from Auction or Trade for it.

3) I'm a rogue, my mana is sooooooo slow to re-gen. I want a pet sorcerer! How can I make it faster to re-gen?

This is why my L41s buy 9,999 mana potions when they visit the pot seller. I save a bit in the guild. Yippee.

4) Is DPS the same as damage? I know I'm a 'damage class', but I'm a little fuzzy on which things I'm supposed to focus on when buying things

You really want to concentrate on DAMAGE. I do always carry both daggers and bows, just in case. There actually are situations where daggers outperform bows -- such as bows hitting everything but the intended target/s.

My rogue is all DEX, CRIT and DMG. There is some trade-offs -- it will depend on how often you die. When you accumulate more items/gold, you can play around with various set-ups, but for now, you will probably just want all DEX, CRIT and DMG.

Mythic weapons do not level up. You can gem them (upgrade them).

7) I just bought a lepre (yay), which areas does it provide luck? I know it's good for 'farming', but what else can it do? Does it help when opening the crates you win from bosses? What about when turning in quests, and getting a reward, does it help to make the reward better? Or to get better stuff from Klaas?

Quests are fun initially but farming for items or farming the Auction house are more lucrative. There are some quests you may want to do daily -- it really depends on what you want and want to do.

Drops from mobs and bosses are affected by luck. What items you get from chests is not affected by luck. Luck stacks, so you can see a huge difference in drops when your luck is high.

Klaas is generally for beginners since very low levels can get to the Outpost. It's good for a free visit, but as an endgamer, you should not be relying on him. He gives out Ankhs now, and at a very high frequency, so if you need a bunch of those, visit him regularly for awhile.

8) Pets, people sometimes ask me to change my pet, why? Does my pet do something undesirable? Maybe stun when they don't like that? Currently I just switch pets when they get hungry, I don't do it with any sort of tactics in mind.

There are definitely pets people prefer. Not that many that people dislike.

Generally at endgame, your fellow players probably do not want to see you running a starter pet. It's fine when you are starting, but at endgame, you are expected to have collected many more pets and to use the good ones accordingly. People DO swap pets, but at endgame, you should have a bunch of good pets you can use.

You can see what pets people are running and run the same pet or complementary pets. The Pet forum has a Pet Guide on pets stats that should help you. Check the stats for the pets you see people running in the areas you are farming.

9) People talk about being scammed, how is it possible? Makes me scared to trade in case there is something I don't know about that I should be wary of.

It's not possible to be scammed.

That being said, it IS possible to be tricked -- by your eyes, your desires, your greed, your sleepiness, etc. The Trade System has a double confirmation -- make sure to use it. Before you confirm for the second time, be sure the trade is correct -- check the number of items (scroll that window), the item level, the actual name of the item. If it's too good to be true, then it's probably a scam.

Last edited by Fyrce; 12-04-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Star light, star bright...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zestee View Post
    Hi guys

I found this game a few weeks ago, and now my house is a mess, my legs are hairy, and I don't even know what the date is anymore. If only I'd also found this forum, I've been stumbling along, no idea how I made it to 41. Double XP week was awesome

So be gentle with me, I have loads of (probably silly) questions. If you can answer any of these off the top of my head, that'd be great.

I bet I'll think of a million more questions, but I'm just excited to find a forum so a bit of a blurt!!

TIA )
    1) Because it does improve your stats. The gains may be small, but they are gains nonetheless. Especially at endgame (lv41), small differences in stats are the difference between wins and losses in PvP and death vs. near death in elite maps.
    2) The reason why people go crazy is because the best gear and pets in the game come from them. People also go crazy because the odds are so low that when people spend hundreds of real dollars and get nothing, and someone else opens one and gets the best item in game, it makes people rage. Farmers (like me) feel that it creates a pay to win scenario, because the only way to get top gear is either open locked crates yourself or buy the gear off of someone else who did (for millions).
    3) Yes, mana is usually the Rogues biggest weakness (especially in PvP). In PvE, use pots....lots of them. I believe it is widely accepted that Rogues are the most expensive class to play, and pot consumption is one of the primary reasons. There are mana pets like Nexus, Valkin, McCraw, etc., and there are mana regen pets like Loki, but the fact is that mana is a problem and you cannot get around it.
    4) See my previous response about DPS vs DMG.
    5) Strength and Armor assist in your survivability. At endgame elites, survivability is a challenge, so I recommend maxing out your Might and Armor passives to help. DO NOT put attribute points towards STR. If anything, you can compliment your STR stats by gear and pets. Malison is an affordable, well rounded pet that can help with your HP. Little Bear is a decent pet that can help with your armor. If STR and Armor are your concern, look for "of Will" gear sets, but keep in mind, you will sacrifice your damage stats for HP and armor. It is always good to have a tank set and a DMG set for flexibility.
    6) You are most likely referring to the lv26 Mythic Helm and lv31 Mythic Armor. These two Mythic items are upgradeable to lv36 via a series of quests. There have been a lot of debates over whether this improved or hurt gameplay, so I doubt that there will be any additional Mythic Upgrade quests in the future.
    7) The Leprechaun Pendant only helps with improving the odds of a reroll in a map. It does not improve the contents of a chest nor what you receive from Klaas. There have been a lot of rumors that luck can affect these things, but it has been confirmed by the Developers many times that they do not. Basically, the value of the Lep is that it stacks with Luck elixirs and Combo elixirs. The whole purpose of rerolls being desirable is that instead of looting an Epic item from a boss or mob (which you liquidate for 7-10 gold), you end up "getting lucky" and rerolling for a Legendary item or egg which will be worth quite a bit more.
    8) Pets are very situational and using the right pet at the right time is the difference between a difficult run, and an easy run. For instance, many people like Kelvin because of his quick cooldown and 100% stun on arcane ability. This trait is desirable against tough bosses with one-hit kill shots. Other times, pets like Samael and Grimm have a Banish capability which causes some mobs to simply disappear - this is desirable when fighting a lot of tough mobs in elite maps. Other times, speed pets help you keep up with your party or simply outrun mobs when you are skipping them to get to the boss. Pets like Ribbit/Gyrm give a +40% crit ability, which really reduces the time needed to kill bosses. So, that is what people are typically referring to. Plus, there are pets that are so bad, they have become running jokes in the game. Pets like Cerella, Deary, Esteban, etc. are so bad that when you use them, people simply laugh because they are so ineffective.
    9) People fall victim to scams for two reasons, greed and stupidity. Greed in the sense where someone thinks they can make a ton of money off of a "noob", so they rush to make a trade, and after the trade, they realize that they didn't get the item they thought they were getting. Stupidity in the sense that someone says, can I borrow X/Y/Z item, I want to see what it does for my stats, and you give it to them, then they disappear. If you remember these three things, you will never get scammed: Don't trust anyone. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Check, and double-check the trade window before accepting (sometimes you get the missing zero scam, or the quick swap out of items in the trade window scam).

I'm glad you're enjoying the game! The community here is terrific and generally supportive. The forums are full of good information and will really help you along.

In particular, I highly recommend the following guides/posts:

Guide - Arcane Legends Quests: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Legends-quests
    Guide - Pet System: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...ide-Pet-system

Shameless plug:
    Guide - Elite Chronicles, Solo Adventures in the Elite Maps of Arlor: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Maps-of-Arlor
    Discussion - Bugs in DMG/Armor stacking mechanics (specifically post #33): http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...nt-based-buffs

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

That's a lot of good info guys, I'm blown away that you took the time to type it all out, thank you!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

1) Even the little boosts add up
    2) My advice? Don't even try open them. Chances are you will end up regretting it.
    3) Pets like Nexus, Jack and Valkin can heal some of your mana. Amount healed is based on level of the pet.
    4) DPS = damage per second whereas Damage is how hard your skills (spells) will hit.
    5) Health is pretty important, especially in PvP and sometimes in PvE to prevent 1 hits. Armor, not as much.
    6) Mythic weapons do not level up, but there are different weapons for different levels. Mythic helm and armor are upgradable.
    7) Lepre only helps in PvE maps while fighting mobs or the boss.
    8) When your pet gets hungry, you no longer get the happiness bonus, leading to lower stats.
    9) Just don't lend your gear to others and watch out for what you are trading and you should be good.

Good luck!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Welcome to end game 41 hope you will have a fun time playing in this level i tell you its worth the hardships of leveling up

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Its always puts a smile on my face seeing a new player delighted. Everybody pretty much summed it up already so the greatest advice i can give you is this: devour the forums read as much as you can, this is where basically all of us learnt most of the stuff we know.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Anarchist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    1) Because it does improve your stats. The gains may be small, but they are gains nonetheless. Especially at endgame (lv41), small differences in stats are the difference between wins and losses in PvP and death vs. near death in elite maps.
    2) The reason why people go crazy is because the best gear and pets in the game come from them. People also go crazy because the odds are so low that when people spend hundreds of real dollars and get nothing, and someone else opens one and gets the best item in game, it makes people rage. Farmers (like me) feel that it creates a pay to win scenario, because the only way to get top gear is either open locked crates yourself or buy the gear off of someone else who did (for millions).
    3) Yes, mana is usually the Rogues biggest weakness (especially in PvP). In PvE, use pots....lots of them. I believe it is widely accepted that Rogues are the most expensive class to play, and pot consumption is one of the primary reasons. There are mana pets like Nexus, Valkin, McCraw, etc., and there are mana regen pets like Loki, but the fact is that mana is a problem and you cannot get around it.
    4) See my previous response about DPS vs DMG.
    5) Strength and Armor assist in your survivability. At endgame elites, survivability is a challenge, so I recommend maxing out your Might and Armor passives to help. DO NOT put attribute points towards STR. If anything, you can compliment your STR stats by gear and pets. Malison is an affordable, well rounded pet that can help with your HP. Little Bear is a decent pet that can help with your armor. If STR and Armor are your concern, look for "of Will" gear sets, but keep in mind, you will sacrifice your damage stats for HP and armor. It is always good to have a tank set and a DMG set for flexibility.
    6) You are most likely referring to the lv26 Mythic Helm and lv31 Mythic Armor. These two Mythic items are upgradeable to lv36 via a series of quests. There have been a lot of debates over whether this improved or hurt gameplay, so I doubt that there will be any additional Mythic Upgrade quests in the future.
    7) The Leprechaun Pendant only helps with improving the odds of a reroll in a map. It does not improve the contents of a chest nor what you receive from Klaas. There have been a lot of rumors that luck can affect these things, but it has been confirmed by the Developers many times that they do not. Basically, the value of the Lep is that it stacks with Luck elixirs and Combo elixirs. The whole purpose of rerolls being desirable is that instead of looting an Epic item from a boss or mob (which you liquidate for 7-10 gold), you end up "getting lucky" and rerolling for a Legendary item or egg which will be worth quite a bit more.
    8) Pets are very situational and using the right pet at the right time is the difference between a difficult run, and an easy run. For instance, many people like Kelvin because of his quick cooldown and 100% stun on arcane ability. This trait is desirable against tough bosses with one-hit kill shots. Other times, pets like Samael and Grimm have a Banish capability which causes some mobs to simply disappear - this is desirable when fighting a lot of tough mobs in elite maps. Other times, speed pets help you keep up with your party or simply outrun mobs when you are skipping them to get to the boss. Pets like Ribbit/Gyrm give a +40% crit ability, which really reduces the time needed to kill bosses. So, that is what people are typically referring to. Plus, there are pets that are so bad, they have become running jokes in the game. Pets like Cerella, Deary, Esteban, etc. are so bad that when you use them, people simply laugh because they are so ineffective.
    9) People fall victim to scams for two reasons, greed and stupidity. Greed in the sense where someone thinks they can make a ton of money off of a "noob", so they rush to make a trade, and after the trade, they realize that they didn't get the item they thought they were getting. Stupidity in the sense that someone says, can I borrow X/Y/Z item, I want to see what it does for my stats, and you give it to them, then they disappear. If you remember these three things, you will never get scammed: Don't trust anyone. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Check, and double-check the trade window before accepting (sometimes you get the missing zero scam, or the quick swap out of items in the trade window scam).

I'm glad you're enjoying the game! The community here is terrific and generally supportive. The forums are full of good information and will really help you along.

In particular, I highly recommend the following guides/posts:

Guide - Arcane Legends Quests: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Legends-quests
    Guide - Pet System: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...ide-Pet-system

Shameless plug:
    Guide - Elite Chronicles, Solo Adventures in the Elite Maps of Arlor: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Maps-of-Arlor
    Discussion - Bugs in DMG/Armor stacking mechanics (specifically post #33): http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...nt-based-buffs
    You should be in STS team Kali.
    YOU HAVE FAILED THIS GAME!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellysius For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Welcome to Arlor

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mortalninja For This Useful Post: