Thread: PVP Situation - Bow or Blade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question PVP Situation - Bow or Blade?

So I'm deciding between respecing for a bow bear or just staying as a sword wielder.

In PVP, which would you guys say is superior? Bow wielding with warrior skills or sword wielding with warrior skills?

I'll be respecing either way, and my build will most likely have these skills for sure:

Evade (5)
    I Blood (5)
    Rage (5)
    Stomp (5)

Thank you.
    Vigor - Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bow would probably be easier, but I enjoy tanking more. I tried bowbear, but all my warrior gear is soo much better. I enjoys being a warrior more too.

Just being able to do a ranged attack would make PvP easier I think.

Overall though I think bow bear vs sword bear is pretty even. Dagger is greater than anything a str specced bear could do DPS wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I think bow bear is better. The ability to do damage whilst knocking your opponent around.

cons?

harder to do burst dps with slashes. Lower defence

pros?

More damage out put overall.
    / oh hai~!
    /

IGN: Igglebob , Moondrake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The question isn't bow or blade at this point imho, its dagger or plate shield. Dagger is proving to be the highest dps right now, and obviously all the skills of a normal plate melee bear benefit the dagger bear. It also makes up for some lost armor with the wing shield.

The way pvp is looking, bow bears will not be as effective as archers for ranged dps. They do not do as much damage as a regular archer at range because they lack break armor and blast shot etc.. If the bow bear starts using his close range skills to pump out damage, he will go oom quickly, whereas the Archer has meditation. The bow bears main advantage over an archer is Iron blood for survivability, as stuns are available to archers as well (not to mention roots). Still, i think the dagger bear will be pretty sweet.

For those warriors who have yet to try it out after the revamp, 2h has been buffed up A LOT! Despite the fact that auto attack has yet to be changed (we will see what changes are made in 1.2 or 1.3 since the devs have told us changes are being made), 2h weapons are faster and stronger than ever before. My Warrior has 74-77 crit and 14-20 crit depending on the 2 hander being used. I was messing around with the 2 handers and i was very pleased when i put out 1 auto attack and 2 slashes in 2-3 seconds, with each hit doing 350 damage. 1050 damage that fast is quite potent. Granted the 2h bear will have to get to his target, whereas a bow bear can fire from range, and that makes up for a strait dps difference. That being said, by using beckons and stuns, it looks like the 2h bear will have much better burst dps, which is better for putting targets down before they can get healed (as opposed to fast, low damage, sustained dps).

And as for survivability, Fully zombied plate warriors have up to 16 h/s and 86 base armor. I think thats a lot more survivability than a bear wearing leather without a shield. How much damage is mitigated by armor will determine the effectiveness of the plate warrior.

Bow bear, Dagger bear, Regular bear... Panda bears... They are all viable choices in team pvp. Your personal tactics and your team interaction will play the biggest part in your ability to perform well in team combat. Its too early to tell what will be best in 1v1. For my part though i have little interest in dueling in pocket legends though.
    Last edited by Azrael; 05-16-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Oof. Sounds like burst DPS 2h sounds like an extremely viable option.

However, since we are still unsure as to how the whole potions thing is going to work in PVP, I guess the massive H/s of warrior gear benefits us in PVP for those without mp regen skills, when we're out of MP in those situations.
    2H Warrior it is then =/ thank you.

(I think I'll work to be a panda bear!)
    Vigor - Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@Azrael

To add on to what you said. I have managed to get 11 h/s with a 2hander setup. Which will give me the burst dps, high crit (with rage), and decent survivability. I have yet to acquire the zombie saintly shield, but I think I am liking what I have set up with my 2 hander.

I strongly believe that the 2 hander will be more viable than the 16 h/s sword and board. I will still be hard to take down, but I will have the great burst dps that will be able to kill. I cannot wait to test it out though, just to see what works and what doesn't. Gonna be fun, and very different than farming the levels over and over hoping for a pink item.

I also have a setup with just under 75% crit buffed up, and when you are critting for about 275-300 not much will last long. It's just you will only be beastly for the 20 seconds you have rage up. After that we gotta rely on ironblood and evade to keep us alive.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaid View Post
    However, since we are still unsure as to how the whole potions thing is going to work in PVP, I guess the massive H/s of warrior gear benefits us in PVP for those without mp regen skills, when we're out of MP in those situations.
    No potions, but there will be pickups in the 3v3 and 5v5 maps that will regenerate health or mana, and a few other things. It is in the PvP thread.
    Last edited by TheBaconKing; 05-16-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaconKing View Post
    @Azrael

No potions, but there will be pickups in the 3v3 and 5v5 maps that will regenerate health or mana, and a few other things. It is in the PvP thread.
    -Sigh- and I was hoping that a little tweaking of PVP would prove that statement wrong. So no potions. Mmph. Bit of a situation for those warriors who need a decent amount of mana to bring out their full skill set.
    Vigor - Alterra

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaid View Post
    -Sigh- and I was hoping that a little tweaking of PVP would prove that statement wrong. So no potions. Mmph. Bit of a situation for those warriors who need a decent amount of mana to bring out their full skill set.
    Yeah and its a shame there is no swamp m/s gear too. I would love at least 2 or 3 m/s.. thats all I ask for. I am thinking about farmin LE for a m/s helm i'm pretty sue there is one there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't consider 2h and sword and shield mutually exclusive. I have the zombie shield and all 4 plate armors. I can change from 2h to shield at a moments notice depending on the situation. In pvp i intend to place all unneeded items on my bank alt to make swapping easier mid combat.

The real question is skills. Is restoration needed? will i want to have more than one slash? Is stomp a necessary means of getting people away from me so i can have time to regen, or will all the damage i take come from ranged opponents making it unnecessary? These questions can only be answered with experience, however Rage, Ironblood, Supermega slash and at least 1-3 points in beckon beckon are assured to be used.

Beckon will actually be a hard balance. I certainly have no need of 5 points in beckon. Quite frankly i want to separate the enemy more than i want to group them in one place, unless there is some massive aoe damage plan going on.

Def looking forward to pvp, but disappointed that grouping isn't in the initial release. It will be another month and a half till real team work is able to be used it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I don't consider 2h and sword and shield mutually exclusive. I have the zombie shield and all 4 plate armors. I can change from 2h to shield at a moments notice depending on the situation. In pvp i intend to place all unneeded items on my bank alt to make swapping easier mid combat.

The real question is skills. Is restoration needed? will i want to have more than one slash? Is stomp a necessary means of getting people away from me so i can have time to regen, or will all the damage i take come from ranged opponents making it unnecessary? These questions can only be answered with experience, however Rage, Ironblood, Supermega slash and at least 1-3 points in beckon beckon are assured to be used.

Beckon will actually be a hard balance. I certainly have no need of 5 points in beckon. Quite frankly i want to separate the enemy more than i want to group them in one place, unless there is some massive aoe damage plan going on.

Def looking forward to pvp, but disappointed that grouping isn't in the initial release. It will be another month and a half till real team work is able to be used it seems.

it depends really.

Having 5 archers sniping you, or 5 archers drawn close to you, they are still going to be doing the same damage to you.

Unless you're talking about another warrior, in which you'd want to engage them 1 on 1.

As for the issue of archers and bust shot, well, look at burst shots performance against high armour monsters in swamps. Its not a great skill. A archer's focus is dps, and ranged dps at that. So if you are worried about archers, bow bears are even worse.
    / oh hai~!
    /

IGN: Igglebob , Moondrake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post

it depends really.

Having 5 archers sniping you, or 5 archers drawn close to you, they are still going to be doing the same damage to you.

Unless you're talking about another warrior, in which you'd want to engage them 1 on 1.

As for the issue of archers and bust shot, well, look at burst shots performance against high armour monsters in swamps. Its not a great skill. A archer's focus is dps, and ranged dps at that. So if you are worried about archers, bow bears are even worse.
    I disagree with the idea that archers that are close to a warrior have the same dps as archers far away. Once an archer is close you can lower their dps with hellscream or you can stun them and stop them from attacking. Burst shot's performance isn't great in the swamp, but thats due to the combination of not only high armor targets but also archers using fast bows. I keep going back and forth on this but weapon damage has to add something to skill damage. I was testing it out yday and there is no way i can slash for the same damage unarmed as i can with a 2h. That being said i never said i was worried about archers or bow bears, and i don't see why i would be more worried about a bow bear. And i'm certainly not worried about a bear thats out of mana, compared to an archer that has meditation. The only thing bow bear has that makes it viable compared to an archer is Iron Blood.

Again though, most of this is pure speculation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

i think im gonna go with a dagger bear now. looks like ill have to find some better m/s gear though. i currently have 1 m/s... from my LE drop. might respec to get to 16 mana for an extra 1 m/s.
    very hard decision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

and a better dagger and shield