Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superhero question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Default Superhero question

Can anyone think of a superhero more powerful than Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

His only weakness are tachyons, which block his ability to see into the future. But even without that, he is unbeatable. We also never really get to see the limit of his power, like at what range and in what quantities he can manipulate matter on sub-atomic levels, and it seems the answer to both is that there is no limit.

It is also worth mentioning that such powerful superheroes usually hold their powers back for the sake of their loved ones, or because of their moral standards which Dr. Manhattan, at the end of the comics/film, does not seem to have anymore.

I am sure there are other über-beings that are invincible, but as far as my superhero fanboy-ism goes, Dr. Manhattan is invincible as well.

Edit: Actually, anyone with the ability of time travel could go back in time before Osterman became the "American God" and simply eliminate him?

Edit 2: Another problem is that apparently anyone in the Watchmen universe could potentially become as powerful as he is, if he has a high enough IQ, knows how to "assemble stuff" and throws himself into one of those "intrinsic field experiment test chambers". Since Dr. Manhattan is not an omnipresent being he would not know about the existance of the other guy who is now as poweful as he is, and the other guy could hunt him down?

Maybe Elsa could stun him by singing "Let it go" and then freeze him to zero Kelvin.
    Last edited by LEVEL ONE; 12-10-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Beware of the Tinfoil - it's coming...

Arendelle's in

deep

deep

deep

deep

snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

He didn't ask for a book report xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enduvial View Post
    He didn't ask for a book report xD
    Whoops... I just get really passionate about things that don't matter when I should be focusing on things that do.
    Beware of the Tinfoil - it's coming...

Arendelle's in

deep

deep

deep

deep

snow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

They could hunt him down but idk if he can even take damage, never thought about the time travel option before that's probably the only way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

I'm not into men in tights kind of superheroes unless it's Alan Moore 's but i'm a big fan of "preacher".
    The Saintof Killers first kill was the devil. His last kill was God.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Superman. Considering Krypton was obliterated, and he has the only known specimens of Kryptonite, he is also "technically" invincible. He is also my childhood favorite, so tread lightly.

Since the subject is brought up, is the Incredible Hulk invincible? I don't recall any true weaknesses or situations which could kill him. Then there is the whole Wolverine discussion. I mean, he self regenerates and has a skeletal system made of Admentium, or Vibranium... I always get confused and too lazy to look it up.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Wait... Forgot about the likes of Quicksilver and The Flash. They are faster than anything and could dodge any attacks. I mean, couldn't Quicksilver run so fast he could travel in time?
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

I do remember wolverine dying (& being resurrected) in one storyline so he wasn't invincible.
    Hulk, I seem to remember him loosing the ability to remain the hulk and then Bruce was all squishy but then again I never read any, only watched that cheesy Lue Farigno 70's live action series.

And sorry holmes, Dr. Manhattan has subatomic control, even if there was no ktyptonite, he could assemble it atom by atom.

Not sure about flash, physics state that speed could make time slow, but reverse entropy?!? Idk bout that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Superman. Considering Krypton was obliterated, and he has the only known specimens of Kryptonite, he is also "technically" invincible. He is also my childhood favorite, so tread lightly.

Since the subject is brought up, is the Incredible Hulk invincible? I don't recall any true weaknesses or situations which could kill him. Then there is the whole Wolverine discussion. I mean, he self regenerates and has a skeletal system made of Admentium, or Vibranium... I always get confused and too lazy to look it up.
    Adamantium

But the thing about Wolverine is that he is definitely not invincible, there are many things that can kill him. Magnetized bullets, magnets in general mainly. Magneto could completely control him. Make him stab himself, rip his body apart, etc.

Also beheading works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Dr. Manhattan could do the same thing to flash as he did to Rorschach (rip). I'll read up on the preacher tomorrow I've never heard of him.
    Can the hulk drown?
    Last edited by Pirate Captain; 12-10-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

If omnipotence and time travel are the only things you might bring effectively to counter dr M
    Franklin Richards tho a child is omnipotent.
    Wolverine was briefly omnipotent but relinquished it.
    Parallax (green lantern) absolute power, and also once had the ability to time travel.

Dark Phoenix (Jean gray)

Deathlok- time travel
    Guardians of the galaxy's original line up time travel.
    Ooh, research reveals flash did time travel.
    Cable- oh hmm ty wiki didn't know that.

Superboy- lol says time traveled, so I guess superman might stand a chance against dr M. after all!
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 12-10-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: NNNNEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDSSS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Captain View Post
    Dr. Manhattan could do the same thing to flash as he did to Rorschach (rip). I'll read up on the preacher tomorrow I've never heard of him.
    Can the hulk drown?
    Preacher is the name of the series, Saint of killers is the guy who can't die and can literally kill anything.
    Also ppl who are easily offended should stay away, "mature" subject mater lol

Oh I forgot my anime Akira- omnipotent god child (&the little girl from Domu)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Which he entrusts Batman with (assuming we're speaking of the same instance), who secretly has an entire vault of the stuff. Not to mention, many characters can reconstruct Kryptonite, Green Lantern even has before, and Firestorm. Also, his powers are reliant on a yellow sun. Deprive him of that radiation, and he's powerless.

Wait... Forgot about the likes of Quicksilver and The Flash. They are faster than anything and could dodge any attacks. I mean, couldn't Quicksilver run so fast he could travel in time?
    Flash has access to the speed force and can alter past, present, and future (see Flashpoint). Theoretically he wields the most power, since he can, uh, deplete your existence. Not too knowledgable on Quicksilver, but Flash has displayed far more power than Quicksilver, and most agree he's the stronger, and faster of the two.

Hypothetical superhero battles, although fun, are entirely debatable subjects. You really can't arrive to a definitive answer, since there have been so many variations/interpretations of so many characters, especially with one like Superman. Over the course of over 75 years, there has been a ton of story arcs you could easily reference to both fortify, and entirely disprove any argument.
    Last edited by KingFu; 12-11-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hulk vs Superman.

Nuff said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I said to tread lightly on the Superman topic.... I refuse to listen to any logic as he is the greatest. Heck, he made the Earth revolve backwards to save Lois. (I never got into comics so not sure if this accurate or movie based. Doesn't matter, he boss!)

I just had a coworker introduce me to Marvel Unlimited on the iPad so I plan on spending Christmas break doing some reading. Any suggested storyline to begin with?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Oops...
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 12-11-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I said to tread lightly on the Superman topic.... I refuse to listen to any logic as he is the greatest. Heck, he made the Earth revolve backwards to save Lois. (I never got into comics so not sure if this accurate or movie based. Doesn't matter, he boss!)

I just had a coworker introduce me to Marvel Unlimited on the iPad so I plan on spending Christmas break doing some reading. Any suggested storyline to begin with?
    I'd recommend Infinity Gauntlet, and Civil War. Both are considered to be some of the greatest Marvel arcs out there, but I especially recommend them as they're going to be installments into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the near future. (Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 3, Civil War in Captain America 3).

Also, I haven't read it myself, but I've heard amazing things about the current Amazing Spiderman run, as well as the Hawkeye run, not sure if either interest you.

I'm more versed in the DC side of things, so if you're looking for more information, ComicVine is a pretty good place to start, as it's one of the better comic book forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingFu View Post
    I'd recommend Infinity Gauntlet, and Civil War. Both are considered to be some of the greatest Marvel arcs out there, but I especially recommend them as they're going to be installments into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the near future. (Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 3, Civil War in Captain America 3).

Also, I haven't read it myself, but I've heard amazing things about the current Amazing Spiderman run, as well as the Hawkeye run, not sure if either interest you.

I'm more versed in the DC side of things, so if you're looking for more information, ComicVine is a pretty good place to start, as it's one of the better comic book forums.
    I need to go through the App Store to see if DC has a comic-based app like Marvel does. I started reading the first Captain America's after Winter Soldier came out as I got confused on the storyline. I will finish his then move to the Civil War stuff since it will all make more sense.

Back on topic... Since Thor, Loki, Odin, Thundra, and others are considered "Gods" wouldn't they technically be the "strongest"? Tawk amoungst youwselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Odin is killed by the fenrir wolf, Thor dies due to Jormigundr, and Loki even though he's half giant half god dies along the rest during ragnaroc.
    None sound all that impressive, even disregarding my godkiller. Admittedly Preacher isn't a superhero type comic, nor Akira.