Thread: 1k threads contest

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default 1k threads contest

q: Do you think the universe is endless? Or not? Explain why.

best answer 100 gold + lock ( of orc hair xD)
    second best 99 gold + cracked nature
    third best 1 gold + smelly helm
    gl

The awoken king ate me...so I guess in his stomach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Yes, the universe is endless.
    You can know this when you do something and water goes *spllat* onto you.

Name:  IMG_20160209_183616.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  71.6 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The universe is not endless but merely loops around. Imagine a marble in a Klein bottle if you will. The marble never truly meets an edge or an end but just keeps going and will eventually end where it started.

(That's my take one it)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's my sig. You have my permission to be #jelly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The universe is a infinite loop of empty space that consist of trillion of stars and billion of galaxy and many different kinds of extra terrestrial planets and objects. Merely a trillion of lightyear hasn't been explored by us humans. Even the machine we make has limits. But in my opinion the galaxy is endless yet a loop in the same time. Merely a blur information is given to us.

Sent from my Lenovo A5000 using Tapatalk
    BACK FROM A HIATUS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like to think the universe is endless. Many mathematicians and physicists have been contemplating what type of manifold the universe could be. Many seem to think it is similar to a three dimensional sphere (the spheres we are used to are considered 2 dimensional), but most believe it is some sort of three dimensional manifold, whether it be a sphere or some other kind.

When people start to talk about the breadth of the universe, however, the question changes to "is the universe bounded? Is it compact?" If the universe were bounded, you could travel to a certain point in the universe and "fall off the edge" or "run into a wall." So most of us don't believe the universe to be bounded. If it were compact, however, it would not "go on forever" but there wouldn't be any boundaries to speak of. To give an idea of what compactness is, I will give you a simple example of the two dimensional sphere, or at least something similar, the Earth. If you are walking on the Earth, there is no edge from which you can fall off the Earth, but if you walk far enough, you will return to where you started from. In this sense the Earth is compact, but it isn't endless (unless you consider the fact that you can walk on it forever without falling off of it an adequate description of endlessness). In the same way, many scientists think there are various loops and holes in the space that makes up the universe, so if you were in a spaceship and traveled in a certain direction for a very very long time, you could potentially end up where you started. If something like this were to occur, it would give us significant evidence that the universe is, in fact, compact, and thus finite.

Of course, even if such phenomena occurred, we could later find that we were travelling on a loop or through a hole in space that appears locally to be compact but is merely a part of a never-ending manifold that is full of strange irregularities, which is much more likely, because ultimately, there are uncountably many more infinite manifolds that have such a behavior than compact manifolds that behave that way. So, statistically, we observe that the universe is almost absolutely endless. This probability is so strong, that any existing computer trying to compute it would say it is a 100% chance that the universe is endless. Regardless of this fact, there is still the possibility that the universe isn't endless.

The question to be asked now is, if the universe as we know it isn't endless, is there anything outside of it? If there is, wouldn't we just qualify the universe we know as a part of the the actual universe, which is grander and more enigmatic than what we know. Would we start to feel claustrophobic if we found the contrary? In the end, I strongly believe that our universe must be endless, as there is little room for other possibilities, but I wish that were not the case, because the second we find something important to us to be exhaustible, we start to have much more respect for it and I feel our actions as humans would be much more weighed and thought out, which is good for everyone involved.