Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twinking: For who, for what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default Twinking: For who, for what?

What is so glorious about "twinking"?

As an elite mmorpg nerd I notice how this term is used pretty frivolously in PL. The concept, even more so.

It appears to me that when a player devours every morsel of game content they try their hand at PVP. Understanding that PVP is really the last outlet for gaming satisfaction while comprehending they're not very effective at killing a sentient opponent. In other words, you've PVE'd the game dry and realize defeating RL players isn't so easy.

So you've got all the loot you need, you purchase the best gear you can, have a field day fighting against newbies, and someone find your victories satisfying....

Twinking is like college kid being fulfilled for beating a third grader in a 100 yard dash...repeatedly. This is just one common circumstance that seems to breed twinking and I'm just wondering what some other ones might be.

So please, defend your twinksmanship, discuss your twinkology, and explain the satisfaction it gives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DontNerfMeBro View Post
    So you've got all the loot you need, you purchase the best gear you can, have a field day fighting against newbies, and someone find your victories satisfying....
    And your not a newbie?
    IGN: Skellerkrunch(50), Hawkrobin(50), Magiclegends(50), Oktal(45), Bladesword(45), mamccroc(35) Plothozz(30), Lechomp(20), Oktal (20), Monseiurlebow(20), Tharef(20), Smackolantern(19),

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bladesword View Post
    And your not a newbie?
    awesome thread contribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Most people twink to fight other twinks FYI. Only a small amount do it just to pwn noobs. Plus its a way to add variety to the game to keep things interesting.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The term 'twink' is really used wrong in PL, so don't worry. "Twinks" here are just low leveled characters with whatever gear just to have fun in PvP and nothing else. The difference here from other MMOs is that PL twinks don't even need expert equipment or a high-leveled alt; if you make a low leveled character to PvP, you're automatically called a "twink" for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    The term 'twink' is really used wrong in PL, so don't worry. "Twinks" here are just low leveled characters with whatever gear just to have fun in PvP and nothing else. The difference here from other MMOs is that PL twinks don't even need expert equipment or a high-leveled alt; if you make a low leveled character to PvP, you're automatically called a "twink" for some reason.
    I disagree twinking is all about the gear. When you get the best gear you can get for any lvl and turn off xp and spend lits of time playing at that lvl its considered a twink. Don't get me wrong there is some out there that do it like you said but most don't.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cabero View Post
    I disagree twinking is all about the gear. When you get the best gear you can get for any lvl and turn off xp and spend lits of time playing at that lvl its considered a twink. Don't get me wrong there is some out there that do it like you said but most don't.
    Sorry cabero, you're only half right. A twink is a character that disables exp gain at a certain level and is designed for pvp. Gear isn't everything, for example, I have a lvl 25 bear twink that's unfinished from the gear but what I have is doable and I definitely designed it to pvp. But the gear is favored by twinks, yes.
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Plenty of threads out there for people like yourself who don't understand what twinking is. It's nothing new. Don't make a thread bashing it, then asking for people to defend; that's not how things work around here. Use the search feature please.
    Last edited by BeardedBear; 02-14-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What is the best twink level at the moment please ? The best means the more numerous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by noss13 View Post
    What is the best twink level at the moment please ? The best means the more numerous
    Right now, lvl 20 has been pretty popular. Be sure to disable your exp once you hit 20, or whichever lvl you plan on twinking at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DontNerfMeBro View Post
    What is so glorious about "twinking"?

As an elite mmorpg nerd I notice how this term is used pretty frivolously in PL. The concept, even more so.

It appears to me that when a player devours every morsel of game content they try their hand at PVP. Understanding that PVP is really the last outlet for gaming satisfaction while comprehending they're not very effective at killing a sentient opponent. In other words, you've PVE'd the game dry and realize defeating RL players isn't so easy.

Twinking is like college kid being fulfilled for beating a third grader in a 100 yard dash...repeatedly. This is just one common circumstance that seems to breed twinking and I'm just wondering what some other ones might be.

So please, defend your twinksmanship, discuss your twinkology, and explain the satisfaction it gives.

It's using features of the game to increase the fun on has playing the game!
    Nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to do it... nothing wrong with that either. No problem either way as I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bladesword View Post
    And your not a newbie?
    VERY sick of this word. If I pulled you out of your life and plunked you down at my desk at work, you'd be instantly lost. I think we should remember that there are two types of new people...people who are just new and are learning and the others, who will NEVER, EVER learn.

For me? PvP is just fun. I'm awful at it, and I do have some locked level characters with some top level eq on them. It's just fun for me to build them...I seldom battle them.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedBear View Post
    Plenty of threads out there for people like yourself who don't understand what twinking is. It's nothing new. Don't make a thread bashing it, then asking for people to defend; that's not how things work around here. Use the search feature please.
    I think he understands twinking just fine...he's just sick of it.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 02-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

I... love... pvp... . I just do what I can to breed pvp characters.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    I think he understands twinking just fine...he's just sick of it.
    I can understand stating an opinion, but when you do that and say "defend your 'twinkmanship'", you're just asking for flames. If he understands twinking and doesn't like it, hey, no one's twisting his arm to do it. He doesn't have to, he could easily do something else in PL.

Basically it was when he asked us twinks to "defend" ourselves, kind of implies he's looking for a fight, and defending him is only going to make you look bad...
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerWolf View Post
    Basically it was when he asked us twinks to "defend" ourselves, kind of implies he's looking for a fight, and defending him is only going to make you look bad...
    I'm not defending him; I was making an objective observation about his inquiry.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 02-14-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is sillybill, the 20 mage referred to as a supertroll in this thread...I just want to say that i dont try to cause trouble or b a jerk to people. And most of the people who have a problem with me dislike my play style. Not my personality. I will say that im an int mage, and against most bears and birds i do kite. But it's a strategy, and i think it's pretty effective. I dont have plans to stop doing it ne time soon.
    Last edited by billcausby; 02-14-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: wrong thread, oops

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billcausby View Post
    This is sillybill, the 20 mage referred to as a supertroll in this thread...I just want to say that i dont try to cause trouble or b a jerk to people. And most of the people who have a problem with me dislike my play style. Not my personality. I will say that im an int mage, and against most bears and birds i do kite. But it's a strategy, and i think it's pretty effective. I dont have plans to stop doing it ne time soon.
    Supertroll? I didn't see anything about supertroll on this thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya sorry i accidentally posted to wrong one. Meant for who is best twink thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

For some reason this thread reminds me of that new quest the blacksmith in New Haven has. Hmmm, now what was that called again?

Oh yeah, Obvious Troll.
    PL: Arazoro [76] ranger | Noerbert [76] archer | Zeanaca [76] sorceress | Arbert [76] warrior
    AL: Teamar [22] rogue | Barimar [21] sorcerer | Guark [21] warrior