Thread: What is Critical? How does it work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is Critical? How does it work?

Hi all,

I've been playing the game for a few weeks now and have looked around but can't seem to find an explanation of what exactly the 'critical' stat is and how it works. It would be useful to know, to figure out how important it is and how much resource to put towards it.

I'm a level 24 rogue BTW. Any info would be really helpful.

Thank you!

A x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

The 'critical' stat displays the percentage chance you have to do critical damage (which displays in yellow), which generally much higher than your normal damage (which displays in red)

So, if your critical is 10%, then that means that on average 1 out of every 10 shots will hit critically.
    Last edited by raw; 12-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Does critical hit damage equal the bonus damage % times the normal damage? If not, then what factor is the critical hit's damage dependent on? Or is it a random percent increase? I never understood how much extra damage is in a crit.
    Retired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Most skills do around 40% more damage on a critical hit unless specified differently in the skill description (eg. + more damage on critical hit) or in an upgrade (eg. 250% damage on critical hit). The bonus damage % is what your gear's damage stats are multiplied with to give the actual damage digit on display. For example equipping an armor with 3.0 damage while you have 400% bonus damage would result in extra 12 damage added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brilliant. Thank you! I had wondered why the damage came up in yellow sometimes.

So...my next question is when buying gear, how important is critical. I'm guessing dexterity is the thing to go for with rogue since critical is included in that? Or should I buy things that up the critical %?

Thanks.

A x

Robhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Araquinta View Post
    Brilliant. Thank you! I had wondered why the damage came up in yellow sometimes.

So...my next question is when buying gear, how important is critical. I'm guessing dexterity is the thing to go for with rogue since critical is included in that? Or should I buy things that up the critical %?

Thanks.

A x
    As far as i know a rogue should have around 40% crit to be competetive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Araquinta View Post

Thanks.

A x
    It's more beneficial to go for Potency/Brutality sets for PvE, which are the most popular as well. The type that maximizes critical rate is Tactics but that severely lacks in HP/damage so it's avoided. Don't even think of Savvy, it's the joke of all types. Buy a Malison and a Blinky if you can; both relatively cheap pets that add 5-6.5% critical rate with an awesome HP as well. You shouldn't spend a lot on expensive gear until you get to the latest levels because you'll soon outwear it. Pets on the other hand will stay with you throughout all levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Most skills do around 40% more damage on a critical hit unless specified differently in the skill description (eg. + more damage on critical hit) or in an upgrade (eg. 250% damage on critical hit). The bonus damage % is what your gear's damage stats are multiplied with to give the actual damage digit on display. For example equipping an armor with 3.0 damage while you have 400% bonus damage would result in extra 12 damage added.
    Ohh i see. Thanks
    Retired