Thread: Mega Mage Equipment dosent improve Hit and Crit. Still better then Shadow equipment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega Mage Equipment dosent improve Hit and Crit. Still better then Shadow equipment?

Hi all

The new Mega Mage equipment doesn’t increase Hit and Crit %.
    Therefore i wonder if it is really better to use it compared with Shadow Equipment?

I understand that it has higher armor, no doubt about this.
    But what about Damage? I play a Int Mage and if i would equip all Mega Mage i would lose like 20% Hit and 16% Crit... that looks rely bad for me.. or does the Damage increase compensate all of that? Or do i miss somthing?

hope i don’t sound to stupid asking this
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Cheers Ardo

Cheers Ardo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Each mega mage item has 10 base damage, 10 additional armor, and 8 M/s. The damage increase makes up for the Crit loss (40 damage per shot with a weapon and since it's base damage add 40 to each of your skills as well for the wand set). The Hit% doesn't matter. An Int mage will have nearly 100% Hit from attributed alone by level 55. Finally the armor increase is pretty enormous
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was not aware, that base damage also increases my spells! That changes a lot.
    Do i see Base damage somewhere?

Royce you are absolutely great! You always know the answer! THANK YOU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ardonemis View Post
    i was not aware, that base damage also increases my spells! That changes a lot.
    Do i see Base damage somewhere?

Royce you are absolutely great! You always know the answer! THANK YOU
    Any damage that is not weapon damage is base damage. So for instance, any damage provided by an item that is not a weapon is base damage, and since all other MM items provide 10 base damage, you can tell that 10 of the damage listed for MM weapons is also base damage. FYI weapon damage also contributes to skill damage, but only a portion of it is added, unlike base damage which all goes into skills.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The loss of crit is the only thing that is worse. On the other hand, I'd willingly trade 1-2M/S on each set for a bit of dodge or crit.

I have no idea still why anyone would craft these things - there are people selling the crafted sets for whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

If you are worried about +hit/crit and maybe gold, you could get the purple quality 55 gear which is +hit/crit instead of +dam and get a nice blend of the stats. It would be real nice if you could enchant gear to give it +hit, +crit, +dodge, +armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Cosmos
    That is i good idea, i can start with the purple set and have a look how it changes with the pink set afterwards. (i have no money for the pink set anyway )

@WhoIS
    I totaly agree with you, i would change 1-2M/s for hit%crit% or dodge immediately

@Royce
    Thanks for the additional explanation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you guys feel Mega Mage stacks up to Cosmos II (Keeper's Staff of Cosmos, Jacob's Helm of Cosmos, Mirage Robe of Cosmos) in terms of damage and overall trash-clearing? This is all I use the staff set for anymore, and mostly that just for the insane damage bonuses the staff gives. I realize that none of the new equipment is AoE, so it might be best to think about a full wand Mega Mage set to replace Shadow Glowstick and stick with Cosmos for lowbie trash clearing? That's what it sounds like anyway.

How much more armor are we talking about over Glow Stick set, anyway? I'm sure there's plenty of damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Each mega mage item has 10 base damage, 10 additional armor, and 8 M/s.
    40? Am I reading that correctly. So a 32 point increase (losing the 8 that breaking up the Glow Stick set gives)? And 37 m/s (5 base, I think, plus 32)? Really??? Ah...but no h/s without crafting one or more of the pieces and losing the m/s. Hmmm...

Lotsa questions.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 02-25-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Each mega mage item has 10 base damage, 10 additional armor, and 8 M/s. The damage increase makes up for the Crit loss (40 damage per shot with a weapon and since it's base damage add 40 to each of your skills as well for the wand set). The Hit% doesn't matter. An Int mage will have nearly 100% Hit from attributed alone by level 55. Finally the armor increase is pretty enormous
    I have to disagree. The nearly 100% hit ignores the fact (as I've understood the hits system) that the enemy armor is deducted from your hit percentage. Thus it's not at all uncommon to miss with, say 120% hit percentage. Thus the hit percentage in the range of, say, anything below 120% gives you just about the same additional average damage as it would when varying in the 50% region.

Thus, in my opinion the variance in hit percentage is roughly equivalent to the change of percentage times your average damage.

Simple numbers: your hit percentage is 100% and your average damage is 200 and you're bashing monsters with 20 armor. That gives you, 80% change to hit and 180 average damage. (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I've seen it described here) +10% hit, gives you 90% hit average and that yields additional 18 average damage.

So in my opinion changing hits% to damage one-to-one is absurd since we're talking about people atleast 51 here that deal more than 200 average dmg. Going from shadow gear to all mega mage results in loss of 21hit and 17crit for additional 31 damage. That is not worth it as is, damagewise. Ofcourse there are other changes too, m/s goes from 20 to 32 (which is pointless since 20 is by far enough) loss of h/s imho is irrelevant for an int mage. The armor boost however cannot be ignored, but my suggestion would be mixing new gear (since there's not set bonus). The armor bonus from keeper gear to mega mages varies between items, in armor it's a whooping 13 while in helmet it's only 5, making the switch less likely to be worth it. Mixing mega, mastermind and shadow gear will yield better combinations than going all mega. What the best combination is, is entriely dependent on play style, enemies, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    How do you guys feel Mega Mage stacks up to Cosmos II (Keeper's Staff of Cosmos, Jacob's Helm of Cosmos, Mirage Robe of Cosmos) in terms of damage and overall trash-clearing? This is all I use the staff set for anymore, and mostly that just for the insane damage bonuses the staff gives. I realize that none of the new equipment is AoE, so it might be best to think about a full wand Mega Mage set to replace Shadow Glowstick and stick with Cosmos for lowbie trash clearing? That's what it sounds like anyway.

How much more armor are we talking about over Glow Stick set, anyway? I'm sure there's plenty of damage...

40? Am I reading that correctly. So a 32 point increase (losing the 8 that breaking up the Glow Stick set gives)? And 37 m/s (5 base, I think, plus 32)? Really??? Ah...but no h/s without crafting one or more of the pieces and losing the m/s. Hmmm...

Lotsa questions.
    Keepers adds 108, all mega adds 126, a nice increase, but there are other changes, too. In the absense of a mega set bonus, I would recommend mixing.

For a staff set it's easy (and cheap) to build a set mixing the orange, greens and purps alone to get a better set than cosmos keeper set.
    (e.g. some lowmans and masterminds combination, depending on the armor<->damage tradeoff, but in anycase you go beyond the cosmos II)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    The Gem Blast Staff is an AOE fireblaster like the keeper, and is much better than the keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    I have to disagree. The nearly 100% hit ignores the fact (as I've understood the hits system) that the enemy armor is deducted from your hit percentage. Thus it's not at all uncommon to miss with, say 120% hit percentage. Thus the hit percentage in the range of, say, anything below 120% gives you just about the same additional average damage as it would when varying in the 50% region.

Thus, in my opinion the variance in hit percentage is roughly equivalent to the change of percentage times your average damage.

Simple numbers: your hit percentage is 100% and your average damage is 200 and you're bashing monsters with 20 armor. That gives you, 80% change to hit and 180 average damage. (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I've seen it described here) +10% hit, gives you 90% hit average and that yields additional 18 average damage.

So in my opinion changing hits% to damage one-to-one is absurd since we're talking about people atleast 51 here that deal more than 200 average dmg. Going from shadow gear to all mega mage results in loss of 21hit and 17crit for additional 31 damage. That is not worth it as is, damagewise. Ofcourse there are other changes too, m/s goes from 20 to 32 (which is pointless since 20 is by far enough) loss of h/s imho is irrelevant for an int mage. The armor boost however cannot be ignored, but my suggestion would be mixing new gear (since there's not set bonus). The armor bonus from keeper gear to mega mages varies between items, in armor it's a whooping 13 while in helmet it's only 5, making the switch less likely to be worth it. Mixing mega, mastermind and shadow gear will yield better combinations than going all mega. What the best combination is, is entriely dependent on play style, enemies, etc.
    Target armor is subtracted from damage. Hit% is not affected by armor at all, and in fact, Hit% over about 85% or so has been shown to be useless. Trust me the upgrade to MM gear is a ridiculous damage increase that you will notice easily and an armor increase that will be just as obvious. None of the level 50 Mage sets compare to the MM set or even a Lowman's green set from BS. The BS gear is just much better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i went on a shopping spree the other night and i agree, damage wise the mm set is ridiculous. i'm a pure int lvl 55 mage btw. mm gemstone staff ftw. the robe boosts my armor enough to feel comfortable using my staff in the sewer w a half decent group. i wasnt sure about buying the helmet but i figured i might as well make the set complete. i bought the recipes as well bc they were inexpensive and i'm hoping the devs will eventually make crafting more customizable. not sure if i want to trade my m/s for h/s atm. currently not worth it imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Royce.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

hit capped at 85% but u forgot about enemy dodge. each enemy has a dodge rate, and boss has much higher dodge rate.
    A lvl56 full int mage with full pink mega set will only have 91 or so hit,9 crit, which is really really bad for the overal dps. And there's only one solution here for a full int mage. wear a DEX crown of persistence