Thread: Ground Combat vs Space Combat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Exclamation Ground Combat vs Space Combat

In the initial release Blackstar will be focused on Ground Combat and although we do not know the details yet, I'd imagine Space Combat has more potential to make this MMO feel very different, new and exciting from Pocket Legends which already does combat on the ground really well?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit early here, but from the awesome preproduction footage shown the space combat and customizable ships has me dreaming of space dog-fights and multiplayer action in the stars...

What's your thoughts on this piece of news (found in the unofficial faq thread)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i think a mix would be good,
    I like ground combat and getting new gear and stuff
    but also with spaceships it would be cool and upgrading weapons on it and stuff, it would be good if you can like just press a button and ur spaceship will appear and you can go flying around in space
    [CENTER]
    YES, cheesecake is deadly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecakess View Post
    i think a mix would be good,
    I like ground combat and getting new gear and stuff
    but also with spaceships it would be cool and upgrading weapons on it and stuff, it would be good if you can like just press a button and ur spaceship will appear and you can go flying around in space
    i agree ;-) a mix would be awesome but i think PL always will be my favourite
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well from the unofficial FAQ, looks like story/chapters could be a bigger part of Blackstar from the start with the humans and mode vs the alien scum!!

So perhaps ground combat starts the story and then the war becomes more serious and space combat could then be included... I agree I'd really like to see a mix as shown in the preproduction video.

But how will Ground Combat be different from PL in Blackstar or will it be the same point and click with guns instead?

Will space combat (3D) you can see from the vid how it will work eg Galaxy on fire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I believe they stated that ground combat would be arriving first. The space combat was for the PC version, so it may be a little much for mobile gaming. Would love to see both though. The game sounds great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope space flight and combat is integral to getting to better levels. For instance, to get to an elite...level? You would have to have a ship equipped with like...level three warp thrusters and either fuel and shields to push through an asteroid field. People could have a hangar of a certain amount of ships, which could be enlarged with plat or something.

Personally, I like ground combat stuff better. Never been much of a capital-scale player, unless it's an abstract turn-by-turn thing.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

1. GROUND COMBAT

Ok, so we are definitely getting point and click targetting as per PL: eg Engineer, Commando, Operative classes.

We'll have to see how the use of guns changes things or not or perhaps acts like a magic spell...

2. From: http://www.touchgen.net/gdc-blackstar-hands-on

From what I was told, the initial launch will take place in, at most, 15% of the currently planned game world.
    &

Gary mentioned one feature that I’m extremely excited about, but can’t quite mention here.
    Could this be SPACE COMBAT???

I rly hope so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Edit: Compare Galaxy On Fire 2:

& for comparison Spaceflight:

Rly hope the space combat in the preprod. vids makes it... !

Edit: Link to Alien Breed Ground Combat: a few ideas could come from this too (maybe) 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ2fZNXuOH4
    Last edited by ratava; 04-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

V online does look cool but honeycomb 3 so kinda high end. B* im hoping will be less demanding. There are a lot of 3Gdroid tablets out there be a shame if they couldnt play hey there is a dev question? System requirements?

UCDF Induction Exam Question 4563
    Q? If Riven's are dead Scorn's, dead Riven's are ? A= A good days work
    UCDF.org is online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for adding the question to the correct thread
    ....so if nobody posts for days, do you think the Dev's will get nervous that we have all left and start updating us? .....ack.....would have worked if I hadnt had posted.

UCDF Induction Exam Question 4563
    Q? If Riven's are dead Scorn's, dead Riven's are ? A= A good days work
    UCDF.org is online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maddogcharlie View Post
    Thanks for adding the question to the correct thread
    ....so if nobody posts for days, do you think the Dev's will get nervous that we have all left and start updating us? .....ack.....would have worked if I hadnt had posted.
    Yup, still using the olde 2G iPhone (damn a good buy) but hope the old hardware does not hold back the devs atst so interested in the final specs chosen for B*?! But inclined to think June will be B* release given new phones (iPhone 5 etc) will release around then? So guess devs will work their magic then & start the hype train (all aboard!) in May. Lucky if we get anything until then... (inverse pschology)

Back to OP: I have 2 hopes for this:

1) Space combat added in later chapters
    2) Space combat added in the PC iteration to complement/extend the mobile version.
    3) In later chapters we get the story of the Scorn/Riven & Space combat!!!

Still B* will be awesome but so much potential here.
    Last edited by ratava; 04-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.