Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto bow or recurve? which do you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default auto bow or recurve? which do you...

Im currently using a bagmans recurve and thinking.about saving for a better bow.. but just want some input on which weapon you perfer and why?

So.. which is it? Autobow or recurve and why? Lol
    http://www.plinc.webs.com
    Join us. Conquer all. Simple.
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Shamelessly copied from Phys' thread, but there you go:

Raid Roach's Gemstone Auto-Bow 143-188 Damage, 1.0 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 10 Armor
    Raid Roach's Gemstone Recurve 152-197 Damage, 0.9 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 5 Armor [Blinding Shot proc]

the stats should really speak for themselves.
    The auto bow is slower, deals less damage, but give you a meagre +5 armor more than recurve.
    The latter on the other hand, gives you better damage, dps, is faster AND gives you a blinding shot proc. This is invaluable.
    If you know someone who can lend you for a few runs, I'd say try out both and see which one suits you better.
    The recurve would be my choice no matter what. You're a bird, a dps machine. Leave defense and the tanking to the bear of the party.
    +5 armor can make a difference, but at that level, it would be quite rare. On the other hand, you will feel the additional dps, blind and speed in each shot you take.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

I bought a bagman's auto-bow, too, but I use the drainer's recurve instead. The auto looks cool, but I'd rather have the DPS. As a bird, I consider it my job in any party to bring the DPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Adwin, you fail to mention the main reason why people use auto-bows especially in pvp.

The range. As well as a bit extra armor, they have the range of a Megablaster/Shotgun allowing you to deal damage over a longer distance. I go for the auto-bow instead of the recurve in pve as well
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

It's six of one, half dozen of the other and comes down to personal preference. I won't speak for the PvP part as I rarely play it, so those points I'll assume are valid.

In the Sewers range is not a huge factor in most places...tight halls and corridors. I have run them extensively with a Shotgun, with a Crossbow, and a Recurve. Sure, there are areas where the extra range comes into play, but the blinding shot proc from Recurves helps mitigate that, or just hitting Blinding Shot as you approach a mob. So yes, Crossbow = more range, Recurve = more damage, and it all comes down to personal choice and how ya use it
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I just realized the crossbow has lower damage and slower speed than the recurve, not to mention the recurve has the proc. That just seems wrong. The crossbow should be faster.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Indeed it should, but I stick to auto if I use one. More range. I don't feel comfortable with the rnage of the rercurve, the auto lets me shoot from far out, which I find valuable. It's more so a factor of damage/dps vs range. Kinda like sunblessed vs blaster without sets.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I just realized the crossbow has lower damage and slower speed than the recurve, not to mention the recurve has the proc. That just seems wrong. The crossbow should be faster.
    When they nerfed the crossbows, they really nerfed em! In AO3, I stuck with the blaster because well, it was a huge frickin gun and that was fun. I figured I would switch to the recurve in BS, and did so on my dex bear. But on my bird, the range for staying back further seems to be a big help, but I need to check my skills. If not all skills have the distance of the xbow, it might be a serious detriment. As for dex bear, it is a no brainer, since you will be wanting to get close eventually, plus you don't have blinding shot as a skill.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Heavy crossbows got nerfed to a speed of 1.3 or 1.4 (can't remember. Think it was 1.4). I believe they're the second slowest bow in the game (pumpkin chunker is slowest with 4.0 speed) which I don't think makes a load of sense, since they are crossbows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Have you ever tried loading a real crossbow? It's a freaking pain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Have you ever tried loading a real crossbow? It's a freaking pain
    This game isn't built around logic, if it was. Where the hell do avians get so many talons from?!

Also, its an AUTO crossbow, so it auto reloads. Duh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I don't know about you, but I carry around my bag of 5,000 talons at all times

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moogerfooger View Post
    i don't know about you, but i carry around my bag of 5,000 talons at all times :d
    [lowercase letters]

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adwin View Post
    Shamelessly copied from Phys' thread, but there you go:

Raid Roach's Gemstone Auto-Bow 143-188 Damage, 1.0 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 10 Armor
    Raid Roach's Gemstone Recurve 152-197 Damage, 0.9 Speed, 12 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 5 Armor [Blinding Shot proc]

the stats should really speak for themselves.
    The auto bow is slower, deals less damage, but give you a meagre +5 armor more than recurve.
    The latter on the other hand, gives you better damage, dps, is faster AND gives you a blinding shot proc. This is invaluable.
    If you know someone who can lend you for a few runs, I'd say try out both and see which one suits you better.
    The recurve would be my choice no matter what. You're a bird, a dps machine. Leave defense and the tanking to the bear of the party.
    +5 armor can make a difference, but at that level, it would be quite rare. On the other hand, you will feel the additional dps, blind and speed in each shot you take.
    Auto Bow adds more skill damage, and gives a larger range, you aren't going to be using basic attacks all the time are we. Before you try to act like you know anything at all, at least take the time to look at all aspects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    Adwin, you fail to mention the main reason why people use auto-bows especially in pvp.

The range. As well as a bit extra armor, they have the range of a Megablaster/Shotgun allowing you to deal damage over a longer distance. I go for the auto-bow instead of the recurve in pve as well
    that is pretty much what i needed to know right on bro
    http://www.plinc.webs.com
    Join us. Conquer all. Simple.
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supersteak View Post
    Auto Bow adds more skill damage, and gives a larger range, you aren't going to be using basic attacks all the time are we. Before you try to act like you know anything at all, at least take the time to look at all aspects
    Super, has anyone tested that auto-bow gives more skill damage? If they have, do you know if they documented it on here, I'd love to take a look.
    Beefymeat - Lvl 55 DexBird
    Deiacev - Lvl 31 Vamp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

What's the % of proc? Or do all weapons carry the same odds

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyMeat View Post
    Super, has anyone tested that auto-bow gives more skill damage? If they have, do you know if they documented it on here, I'd love to take a look.

From here.

When comparing the Bagman's Recurve vs Bagman's Auto-Bow:
    Recurve has +9 more damage, and skill damage increase is 113-92 (skill damage: 316-340).
    Auto-Bow has skill damage increase of 118-97 (skill damage: 312-336).

So the Recurve's +9 damage is offset by its incremental skill damage, which is only +4 skill damage over the Auto-Bow, even though the Auto-Bow has more incremental skill damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerospacegod View Post
    What's the % of proc? Or do all weapons carry the same odds
    Might want to double-check on someone else on this figure but I think its 10%.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phys, So do you recommend auto or recurve for a 55 pink?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

So the recurve still gives higher skill damage, just not as much higher as the pure damage difference might lead you to expect. I still think the autobow should be faster...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.