Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Is there penalty for the number of times you die?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there penalty for the number of times you die?

I am always cautious about dying. I like to be methodical, pull, and advance without rushing. It's not because I'm a MMO genius, it's just my playstyle. So consequently, I try to get as far as I can without dying, and I like to conserve my potions unless I'm desperate.

So bearing that in mind, here's my question:

Grouping with other people is fun, but they get me killed all the time. I can't stand to watch them die when they plunge on ahead. Sometimes its just hard to coordinate attacks on one target and we get swarmed. Once I see that I've died a bunch of times I worry that there's something I won't have access to (like an achievement) because of it.

I actually backed out of a group today because I was tired of dying over and over because the other guy was in a hurry.

I might relax more if there's was no penalty for the number of times you die.

Can anyone clarify or illuminate me?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Currently there is no penalty for dying, and no mention anywhere of plans to change that. So the only thing that dying affects is your pride I don't like to die, but I've come to accept the fact that it's just going to happen and I don't worry about it anymore. When I started my third character I wanted to keep a 0 death count, but it made the game a lot more stressful. Now I just do my best not to die, but if I do then oh well.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, forgot to mention that they'll be coming out with leaderboards sometime in the future as well. They haven't detailed out what numbers will be on there, but I doubt there will be a "least deaths" leaderboard because it will be full of low level players. Maybe they'll have kill/death ratio on there? I don't know. But once again, I wouldn't worry about it.

4.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts

No penalty for death, although your death count is incremented.

Leaderboards may be per level or level tier (for deaths).

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I like the addition of leaderboards. Except then i'll be even more frustrated when dying...greeeaaat. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am always cautious about dying. I like to be methodical, pull, and advance without rushing.
    I agree, kill everything is also much more fun with survive everything! If you can get your group to coordinate, then np, but otherwise just lookout for no1, and live to fight another day. Runaway is my favorite attack button ; )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, when you die and don't get rezzed/back in time, you don't get an item after boss fights. That part feels like a penalty. But, yeah I was doing amazingly until I really started playing in earnest with other players.

Any penalty would be an enormous penalty/stigma to playing with Pick Up Groups or more cavalier players. That would suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you die, don't respawn, while laying there you can continue getting exp and loot.
    Rannos - 35 Warrior
    Applicant of Venom
    venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

"When you die, don't respawn" --i was surprised by this but it happened tonight. i thought it would somhow be noobish to look like i was expecting a res ( i dont ask for them), and after i respawned at the begining, a higher lev let me know " just lay there you missed out on the xp." seems like a small penalty tho- its not life w/o paroll with flatulent cellmate.