Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Strange Popping Noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What exactly does it sound like? Like a CD skipping over scratches, or like crinkling paper? I might be able to help if I get a sound description
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytesdawn View Post
    Epic troll. +1 random merit. Btw it's fruit not cookies.
    Lizardfeather|Ventesia|Yraelia
    Roleplayer's Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardfeather View Post
    What exactly does it sound like? Like a CD skipping over scratches, or like crinkling paper? I might be able to help if I get a sound description
    Static. Kind of like when you have bad speakers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so here is what we know:

~It occured after the iOs 4.3 Update
    ~It sounds like a bad speaker
    ~It affects both the Music and Effect sound
    ~It has nothing to do with the phone itself

Quote #1:
    It seems to be happening to the music and effects while there are other players on the screen. What I mean is a cut screen from one place to another, or the main "Enter World" screen doesn't seem to be crackling and popping. As soon as I get into an area or a dungeon (I've mostly been playing in the Alien Oasis 2 dungeons) the music clicks and pops.*
    Quote#2:
    Tap To Continue City of Oasis screen, and the music is fine but every time the backwards cymbal sound goes off as someone joins, the effect clicks and pops and the music does not. Not every time though[...]*Lost Expedition 2's Tap to Continue screen and it is happening constantly, and once I enter the dungeon everything clicks and pops, regardless of what it is.[including PL music]
    My Speculation:

Theory #1: *I think interaction between the speakers and app may be part of the problem.*According to Quote #1, before the load screen, everything seems fine. As soon as people begin appearing, you begin to get the strange sound. Now here is what I think is happening: Apple may have altered the way the speakers interact with the app, so all the effects are happening, and your iPod is struggling to keep up with them all. Something in Apple's update may be conflicting with the constant need for sounds to appear, and your speakers are becoming overloaded and resort to fuzz. I KNOW this did not happen before, however I think something has changed with the interaction.

Theory #2: SETTING ASIDE the update by Apple, PL has also had some recent updates. According to Quote #2, all music and effects are affected. I think this may be caused by a 'lag' within the songs. The music must play constantly with the effects coming in, when say, a new person enters. As in Quote #1, the title screen operates fine until the effects occur. With recent updates, maybe something within PL is not able to send these sounds all at once?

The Solution: No idea. Feel free to point out flaws in my hypothesis. I'm probably wrong, but it's an idea.
    Roleplayer's Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theory #2: SETTING ASIDE the update by Apple, PL has also had some recent updates. According to Quote #2, all music and effects are affected. I think this may be caused by a 'lag' within the songs. The music must play constantly with the effects coming in, when say, a new person enters. As in Quote #1, the title screen operates fine until the effects occur. With recent updates, maybe something within PL is not able to send these sounds all at once?

The Solution: No idea. Feel free to point out flaws in my hypothesis. I'm probably wrong, but it's an idea.
    Now that you mention it, I had some old poly-voice software on a P2 back in the day, and my sound card could only handle 8 or so "voices," or instruments, at a time. Any more than that produced this exact same crackling sound. It's as though my phone is having difficulties playing all of the sounds at once...which I know is probably not the case, since I have an A4 in this thing, and PL doesn't use that much power.

Not sure...glad to hear it isn't just me.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like we might be getting somewhere! If your Ps2 made the same noise when overloaded with sound, well that's an interesting connection...
    Roleplayer's Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like we might be getting somewhere! If your Ps2 made the same noise when overloaded with sound, well that's an interesting connection...
    >Bump<

Any more takers on this issue? It wasn't a PS2, btw...it was a Pentium 2 that I built myself.

I hate to whine, but this has kind of been keeping me away from PL. I though a couple of patches would fix it...but no such luck. I've even deleted PL completely off of my device and readded it. No dice. Anyone else run into this issue?
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...ageID=13214749

"Looks like Apple changed some low level OpenAL audio behavior in the iOS 4.3 update which was released today."

Maybe the devs can check into it and see if that's the problem.
    Stuck in the game? Don't know what to do? Try this new awesome section on the forums which contains guides created by players to address various game issues. Click HERE to go to it! You can also use the nifty SEARCH feature on these forums to find your answer as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*hugs*

That's it! Thanks a bunch. There's no fix, so hopefully the devs can look into it now and I can come back, sans popping.

Edit: I just read the downgrade steps for iOS 4.3 to 4.2.1 (the last time this worked properly). Devs...PLEASE FIX! I can't do that to my phone.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 04-03-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

I just updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3 as well and I have noticed it too.

At first I thought it was my phone, but I was confused it only happened while playing PL. It's not 24/7 too, it seems to happen on and off. But only playing Pocket Legends.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I sent a message to a dev. Hopefully they'll respond to this thread once they've read it.
    Stuck in the game? Don't know what to do? Try this new awesome section on the forums which contains guides created by players to address various game issues. Click HERE to go to it! You can also use the nifty SEARCH feature on these forums to find your answer as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I experience this crackling sound issue as well, but on my iTouch (4th gen).

So now I just play with no sounds.
    =================================================
    In-game characters: Ishmu, Archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still experiencing this, although I haven't downloaded today's patch yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Same here, but only on earphones. Normal sound from the device seems to be alright, so it's probably the head/earphones?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this audio issue reproduced if you record your screen through the phone with a program? Or is it only the external output and not the digital audio thats messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

probably your music haha jk check ur device if not contact support

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get it when playing with headphones or without. I don't have a way to listen to the digital audio on my iPad, no dock.

On top of Snowpeak Mountain, tweaking stats
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I just updated from 4.2 to 4.3.3... Now the sound on my iPad is cracking too. So even after months this issue remains.

Ps. It's only PL causing the cracking. Other apps give no problems.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Mine is also crackling, I thought it was only my device though.