Thread: [Archers:] A Lack of Versatility and Creativity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Default [Archers:] A Lack of Versatility and Creativity

This is more of a feedback thread and a compilation of my opinions and experiences as an archer than a new suggestion.

--

Classes.

The whole world of Pocket Legends revolves around the uniqueness and meshing of the three classes. Similar to most MMOs, you have a Warrior, Archer, and Mage. Pretty standard and it works well.

--The Timeline--

Ah, so I will start here. Back when PL started, people began exploring the classes and what exactly they could do. As time moved on and more content was released, people began noticing that there were certain areas where classes overlapped and thus began: the hybrid.

A large hybrid movement came in the Alien Oasis days, where mages found using Thoth gear could allow them to fight as a Mage while keeping the survivability of the Warrior! Thus the first large Paladin movement began.

At the same time, bears found that they could utilize the damage of archers or the unique items of the mages. Birds also found they could use some more armor or cool wands! And mages found use in bows. Hybrids of all kinda started truly flourishing in the Oasis, and through AO1 and AO2, and part through AO3 were their brightest days.

--The Shift--

One of the problems with increasing the level cap is, well, what new content should they add? Much new content in the truly amazing Trials of the Galactic Overlord increased a classes' unique skills even more. This was the beginnin of the end for hybrids. Yes, the gear still had good hybrid capabilities, but it began to move towards an era where classes do best naturally.

The main focus in AO3 was birds. They had realized in earlier Oasises that DEX was the ultimate stat, and that by utilizing purely DEX and grabbing high damaging gear, they could be almost unstoppable. Int birds never were huge and they died almost completely here, with strbirdies still being useful because classes hadn't completely separated yet. This led to the rebalance.

--THE REBALANCE--

Ah yes, here was the major blow. In order to balance out the classes (which it did well,) it tweaked stats and made skills depend on natural stats. There was one major effect: #1 The rebalance removed the artificial versatility players could create through gear.

----

Ok, now taking into account major point #1, let's see where that takes us. Classes now have to rely on their intrinsic versatility to be successful when hybriding.

MAGES: By their creative nature, they can fill countless roles and this is the most successful hybrid class. They can focus on damage, surviving, support, etc. You name it.

BEARS: They're usually limited by their range. But with Rage and some archer gear, they can dish out some serious damage and still survive through their crowd control, ironblood, and dodge.

BIRDS: Ah, here we go. Naturally, we are very damage oriented. Damage makes the dungeon go 'round, but with all the single-target damage skills and DEX being the "ultimate stat" that both mages and bears use, hybriding isn't very effective here and only works if we can deal damage while surviving.

Summary:
    #2 by the nature of Dexterity and archers' gear and skills, hybrids and variations in play style aren't very effective.

--
    --
    --

Ok, that was very long, let's bring it all back in! Let's see main points again.

--New content increasing classes' natural abilities and the rebalance (including 6-stat skills) removed the artificial versatility players could create through gear.

--The nature of Dexterity and archers' gear and skills makes hybrids and different play styles less effective.

If you combine these, you see a class that, although very effective, is extremely straightforward. I'm not complaining, but after using an archer mainly since the game came out, I've noticed that I'm not very effective as a hybrid or with mixed stats. In AO3 they were still somewhat plausable, but the sewers makes them severely handicapped. I've attempted a Warbird with a fury set, but it's just not very good as it has low damage. Don't even mention Smartbirds...

--

Ok, your turn!

I've said a lot, and I would love to see archers being able to do a wide variety of things but I have no idea how it could change. It's kind of part of our nature, you know. I know birds can vary a little, favoring regen and occasionally a good Warbird, but what do y'all think?

I love playing as a Bear and Mage because of the strategy in your choice that comes with it. I just would love to see more to birds than glass cannons.
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 03-30-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]