Thread: What's better, frost or elon bow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Default What's better, frost or elon bow?

The stats are pretty equivalent, so it must rest on the proc?

What say ye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Frost, take it from someone who's gemmed both with 3 para gems and used both for a very long time.

The damage output of frost with the proc is just so much more! Of course, if you're slow at potting, go for an Elo.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Frost, take it from someone who's gemmed both with 3 para gems and used both for a very long time.

The damage output of frost with the proc is just so much more! Of course, if you're slow at potting, go for an Elo.
    How is the damage output of frost bow "just so much more"? if you compare them it is just 2 damage difference (both full eyes). Am I missing something here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    How is the damage output of frost bow "just so much more"? if you compare them it is just 2 damage difference (both full eyes). Am I missing something here?
    The proc on the frost will always hit a target, unlike Elo. The proc itself does about 150-200 damage per tick making for an increase in damage. Small things like this can make a difference in timed runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

The proc on the frost will always hit a target, unlike Elo. The proc itself does about 150-200 damage per tick making for an increase in damage. Small things like this can make a difference in timed runs.
    I see. Well it is very small if you ask me. I do understand that if one goes for timed lb even low amount of added damage could make a difference. Same goes for PvP.
    @OP I had both bows for a while and I personally like the elon bow more. Admittedly the bush proc is pretty useless, but the heal one is good (and it procs on every hit including DoTs like nox poison or traps bleed). The frost bow proc does add damage, but the proc is quite rare. I rarely notice it proc, but in my t3 runs between 2-3 traps users, pets that have pull and all the rest going on in those big mob pulls, maybe I just missed some

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I see. Well it is very small if you ask me. I do understand that if one goes for timed lb even low amount of added damage could make a difference. Same goes for PvP.
    @OP I had both bows for a while and I personally like the elon bow more. Admittedly the bush proc is pretty useless, but the heal one is good (and it procs on every hit including DoTs like nox poison or traps bleed). The frost bow proc does add damage, but the proc is quite rare. I rarely notice it proc, but in my t3 runs between 2-3 traps users, pets that have pull and all the rest going on in those big mob pulls, maybe I just missed some
    I also use it as a way to freeze high level threats. Each auto attack = 50% chance to freeze mob on the first hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

I also use it as a way to freeze high level threats. Each auto attack = 50% chance to freeze mob on the first hit.
    I rarely use auto-attack in PvE and rarely PvP . I prefer using aimed, nox, piercer combo without charging and there seems to be no time for auto attacks. Further I have 2 breeze users in most runs, so the priority targets are frozen until they die most of the time . Anyway I somehow ended up liking the daggers most (believe it or not) and am currently using them.

P.S. you do do a bit less damage with the daggers, but the added crit and health makes up for it in my case at least. The added health (and the planar pendant) made it possible to solo planar tomb 3. I have exactly enough health to survive crits from his boulders, ranged attacks and melee hammer (last with blinky's AA active, which i keep in case he stuns me and is about to hit me with the hammer)
    Last edited by Jazzi; 04-25-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carmine_blade View Post
    The stats are pretty equivalent, so it must rest on the proc?

What say ye
    For a casual player it doesn't really matter. Both bows are good.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tatman For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone, I thought the on-paper difference between the two was slim. I ended up getting a frost bow because that was the cheapest one avail. when I had the money

I had thought to wait til after expansion in the hopes that mythic weapon prices would drop, but then I decided I wanted to be able to farm the new expansion so needed to purchase now. Also knowing the mythic armour set details have been released already, makes me think any new mythic weapons will come a few months into expansion to prolong interest, so if I'd waited, I could be waiting a looong time..

Anyway this frost bow represents the single biggest purchase I've ever made, and I feel pretty good about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I rarely use auto-attack in PvE and rarely PvP . I prefer using aimed, nox, piercer combo without charging and there seems to be no time for auto attacks. Further I have 2 breeze users in most runs, so the priority targets are frozen until they die most of the time . Anyway I somehow ended up liking the daggers most (believe it or not) and am currently using them.

P.S. you do do a bit less damage with the daggers, but the added crit and health makes up for it in my case at least. The added health (and the planar pendant) made it possible to solo planar tomb 3. I have exactly enough health to survive crits from his boulders, ranged attacks and melee hammer (last with blinky's AA active, which i keep in case he stuns me and is about to hit me with the hammer)
    There's time to sneak auto attacks in, just got to find where. It does not slow down your damage output either but speeds it up. If you are quick enough, you sneak auto in between Aim & Nox.

The only reason I am using a 3 para elo bow in the video is because a player offered me 5M + 3 Para Elo Bow to trade for 2 of the only x3 para Frost Bows in game. Simply, it was a deal I could not refuse. The video below should be up soon, it's just processing!

http://youtu.be/5gZXy9f4mb8
    Last edited by Zeus; 04-26-2015 at 12:11 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Both bows have their advantages. Frost bow does have the ability to freeze, and based on on what Zeus says about the proc damage, that can be very useful since it actually hits the target. However, in a timed run, the proc's freeze can actually make it difficult to sweep, which can cost seconds in a timed run (specifically for lower elites). Frost bow also gives +2 dex I believe over elon bow.

However, I find that an Elon bow suits my needs far more - especially since I use traps. With an Elon bow every time my traps his an enemy I get healed so when I'm running harder elite maps (farming or timed runs), or wt/kt the healing is so great that I actually rarely have to pot. In WT4 I've mastered the traps so I probably use 5 health potions each run simply because of the elon bow. Additionally, the elon bow proc, when used in upper elites (where there isn't much movement) and on bosses (especially Arena) do great damage.

Either way, like Safiras said, both bows are great for someone looking for an upgrade, and it seems Elon bow is a tad cheaper, so I'd go with that unless you have a few extra mill to spend - then in that case I'd probably suggest grabbing some imbued armor ^.^
    Last edited by raw; 05-06-2015 at 08:35 AM.