Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Smart Chat Annoyance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

The issue is not how fast someone can spam on a given device. The issue is that the "smartly infuriating" chat is a game breaking feature that should never have been implemented without asking the community if they felt such a thing would be useful.

The fact that some chrome users find it useful is a moot point, due to the fact that we know the game does not operate the same on chrome as on the mobile devices it was developed for. That is why so many exploits are found on chrome by those users. Spammers aside, the problem is for actual players who run maps while trying to coordinate a party, handle multiple pm's to an assortment of people, and run a guild at the same time.

I fail to comprehend why STS has, against the community's repeated requests, kept this feature in place when they are not making the fix a priority. If I encountered this chat failure in a game I was just starting out in, I would be off to find another game before I reached level 10.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    The issue is not how fast someone can spam on a given device. The issue is that the "smartly infuriating" chat is a game breaking feature that should never have been implemented without asking the community if they felt such a thing would be useful.

The fact that some chrome users find it useful is a moot point, due to the fact that we know the game does not operate the same on chrome as on the mobile devices it was developed for. That is why so many exploits are found on chrome by those users. Spammers aside, the problem is for actual players who run maps while trying to coordinate a party, handle multiple pm's to an assortment of people, and run a guild at the same time.

I fail to comprehend why STS has, against the community's repeated requests, kept this feature in place when they are not making the fix a priority. If I encountered this chat failure in a game I was just starting out in, I would be off to find another game before I reached level 10.
    Amen.

Whoever thought this "smart" chat was a good idea didn't really think it through. Chatting with friends was the only thing keeping me in the game, and I'm sick of this abomination of a chat system always screwing it all up, so I really have no reason to log in. "Smart" chat is by far the worst thing ever included in AL.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serillia View Post
    Easy to sell items in towns. You can repeat your older messages much faster.
    The origin of the issue is not spamming and even in Chrome I sometimes forgot to delete the previous chat channel.
    Took a while to adapt myself...

BUT what Serillia mentions is VERY ANNOYING.
    Some guy really SPAM sometimes ruining town athmosphere.

So I suggest
    - to DISABLE sending exactly the same text
    - or mute the user after 3 exactly same text for 1-3 minutes (like system does after using dirty words).
    - or at least like here in forum have a minimum repetition time.

BTW is it useful/suggested to report for SPAMming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Um...mobile users can repeat old messages by copy-pasting. Chrome does not have that feature. Only difference is spamming is easier on chrome than on mobile because of the delay while pasting.
    Number HotKeys are useful too[Android]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Um...mobile users can repeat old messages by copy-pasting. Chrome does not have that feature. Only difference is spamming is easier on chrome than on mobile because of the delay while pasting.
    Copy and paste is a software not related to STG.

Mobile users used to have saved chat feature in the other games but it was purposely discontinued in AL to avoid spamming. I can spam around 100+ messages a minute on Chrome and less than half of that on mobile. The game wasn't meant to introduce spamming and I think typing a few more lines when selling items never hurt anyone.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

Mobile users used to have saved chat feature in the other games but it was purposely discontinued in AL to avoid spamming. I can spam around 100+ messages a minute on Chrome and less than half of that on mobile. The game wasn't meant to introduce spamming and I think typing a few more lines when selling items never hurt anyone.
    That's all very well, but the fact remains that while merching you'll often want to change towns to reach a wider audience. Typing a long message like some (like Zephy) do - "Buying so-and-so / so-and-so // Selling so-and-so / so-and-so PM me" will only be easy for people with WPMs crossing the 80s. However mobile users can still do this. I don't see how it's gonna make much difference if it stays tbh.

By all means remove the smart chat system but please, let this remain.

(For the record, my WPM is 110 so this wouldn't overly affect me. I also own an android device & would play on that if I didn't prefer PC so much.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

It does hurt if you're in a rush to sell something and you find typing not so easy .-.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

It's much faster to type "message here" than it is to delete "/tell Serillia" in order to type "message here" in town after someone has pm'd you - just an example.

Also faster to type /g without having to delete /partychat first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

But then what if you want to stick to one chat channel? Most wouldn't want to keep typing /g or /p over and over to say something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oursizes View Post
    But then what if you want to stick to one chat channel? Most wouldn't want to keep typing /g or /p over and over to say something
    Most people dont mind as it is less than a second however when deleting something it gets quite frustrating..
    also doing that is faster when in mid run and u want to say something

Caabatric. The one nub sorcerer you wont forget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

That was STS's concept of this chat system. What they didn't consider is that only 1% of the population sticks to a single chat channel for more than 5 minutes at a time.

It's not annoying to type /g. What is annoying is having to delete /partychat to answer a guild question and then delete /guildchat to say something to your party the next time you try to talk. We were all perfectly happy typing /g /p /o /t /r. It was NOT broken when that was the case.

The system as it stands now is making people not want to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

[No offense]

The system was like this for years, and nobody bothered to have any changes for the chat systems.

That being said, The smart chat system was never suggested by a community member, the change was automatically introduced by the Dev team. The chat system(earlier) was very good indeed, repeating was not a problem and nobody cared if they had to type 100 sentences with typing "/g" along with it. You never had to delete the whole stuff over and over again to switch out chats(below)

[chat switching = Earlier]

/g hallo

/p wassup guys, ready to run?

/o Nah, he's a good guy. Dont kick him!!

/partyi "smart chat system"

/guildo*

[System demonstration end == Run time -> 30s]

* = Guildo stands for GuildOnline, the chat box will display whoever is online in the current guild you are in. Was very useful :/

[Chat System = Current]

/g hallo

*opens chat*
    *deletes "/Guildchat"*

/p wassup guys ready to run?

*opens chat*
    *deletes /partychat*

/o no dont kick him.......

/guildo*

* = This has been removed :/

[System Demonstration End == Runtime -> X < 75s]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazakesy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

I have to agree with Zeus. Please, please make it stop asap. It's also very problematic for new players. We have emoticons, why not chaticons??

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    I have to agree with Zeus. Please, please make it stop asap. It's also very problematic for new players. We have emoticons, why not chaticons??
    It's so bad that I can see people trying to send a message in PVP to communicate w/ their opponents and then die because they didn't have enough time to delete, then retype what they want which was a simple two letters: rg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

It's much faster to type "message here" than it is to delete "/tell Serillia" in order to type "message here" in town after someone has pm'd you - just an example.

Also faster to type /g without having to delete /partychat first.
    I meant in chrome .-.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

I see more simply solution: let smart chat as it is with small "text" change:

when you open chat (after previous message into guildchat, instead of "/guildchat |" make it "/g|"
    | is position of cursor, which is very important. The result will be:

open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "g" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"
    instead of
    open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "tahcdliug" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"

That means delete ONLY 1 letter, or hit spacer ONCE for switch between chats.
    Last edited by Jirikjurasek; 05-07-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jirikjurasek View Post
    I see more simply solution: let smart chat as it is with small "text" change:

when you open chat (after previous message into guildchat, instead of "/guildchat |" make it "/g|"
    | is position of cursor, which is very important. The result will be:

open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "g" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"
    instead of
    open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "tahcdliug" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"

That means delete ONLY 1 letter, or hit spacer ONCE for switch between chats.
    This was suggested also, when this ridiculous system was implemented. Now it's 6 months later and the best answer we get is "we're working on making it optional but can't give any indication on when this will happen". Which, from prior experience means that it's on a list somewhere and might be addressed in another 12-18 months.

20.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #38
    Spacetime Studios Dev Alottabit's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

This was suggested also, when this ridiculous system was implemented. Now it's 6 months later and the best answer we get is "we're working on making it optional but can't give any indication on when this will happen". Which, from prior experience means that it's on a list somewhere and might be addressed in another 12-18 months.
    /Ouch. The work for toggling smart chat is complete, so barring any unfortunate circumstances, it will go out with the next (1.2.5.0) client.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alottabit View Post
    /Ouch. The work for toggling smart chat is complete, so barring any unfortunate circumstances, it will go out with the next (1.2.5.0) client.
    I believe this is appropriate...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  51.2 KB

Seriously, thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alottabit View Post
    those ppl who liked the chat would be like...
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  10.5 KB