Thread: Guide: Achievement Points

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overweightank View Post
    Nice guide but sadly this won't help anyone since it's exactly same in game, I suggest giving what areas and tips for each aps
    This. Although I see you have put a lot of work into this, I wouldn't consider it as a guide, but more of a reference. It's nice to have a list of APs as reference on these forums, but unless it's also accompanied by tactics/tips/advice, then it's not really a guide. We already have this exact thing in the game at more of a convenience, so without any tips, this has little utility. I'd highly suggest adding tips for each one.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    This. Although I see you have put a lot of work into this, I wouldn't consider it as a guide, but more of a reference. It's nice to have a list of APs as reference on these forums, but unless it's also accompanied by tactics/tips/advice, then it's not really a guide. We already have this exact thing in the game at more of a convenience, so without any tips, this has little utility. I'd highly suggest adding tips for each one.
    Are we really going to play the semantics game? A reference is still a guide, aka the term "reference guide." I fully intended to include the content you and 'tank suggested, and I have yet to report it for inclusion in the Player's Guide section for precisely that reason.

Regardless, I'm afraid I must insist that it is still quite useful as it stands for a few simple reasons - and I'll be including those in the first paragraph later tonight to prevent future thoughtless dismissals. The fact that it was *only* in the game means it's inconvenient for someone searching on the forums attempting to understand more about achievements Without this, they'd have to login just to look something up. Perhaps you enjoy swiping around your mobile device forever looking for a particular achievement, but most players - including me - don't. I'd rather have a quick search option available, which is why I created this guide in the first place.
    Last edited by Niixed; 05-09-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    Are we really going to play the semantics game? A reference is still a guide, aka the term "reference guide." I fully intended to include the content you and 'tank suggested, and I have yet to report it for inclusion in the Player's Guide section for precisely that reason.

Regardless, I'm afraid I must insist that it is still quite useful as it stands for a few simple reasons - and I'll be including those in the first paragraph later tonight to prevent future thoughtless dismissals. The fact that it was *only* in the game means it's inconvenient for someone searching on the forums attempting to understand more about achievements Without this, they'd have to login just to look something up. Perhaps you enjoy swiping around your mobile device forever looking for a particular achievement, but most players - including me - don't. I'd rather have a quick search option available, which is why I created this guide in the first place.
    I'm not trying to diminish this or anything, you did a great job of listing every achievement on here, I'm just trying to politely convey that if you want this to become a full-on guide, I would suggest adding commentary to each one to "guide" people trying to complete them. For example, for the elusive 4, a good thing to clarify would be where each one can be found. For each of the gold achievements, give suggestions on how a player can make gold efficiently. For some of the PvP acheivements, add a link to some PvP guide(s). In it's current standing, this is just a reference.

The difference between a reference and a guide is that a reference is basically just a summarized list posted in a different medium for others to refer to when the other medium(s) are inaccessible. A guide includes additional information that is otherwise unobtainable by the actual medium, where the creator undergoes work/testing to add insight on how to complete the indicated action(s).

Again, I'm not trying to berate or insult you, I'm just trying to give constructive criticism on the utility of this "guide". And I'm not saying it's useless, as I'm sure someone will find this useful when they aren't able to log into the game, but I personally wouldn't consider this as a guide, since it's basically just a copy-paste of what's already in the game.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    I'm not trying to diminish this or anything, you did a great job of listing every achievement on here, I'm just trying to politely convey that if you want this to become a full-on guide, I would suggest adding commentary to each one to "guide" people trying to complete them. For example, for the elusive 4, a good thing to clarify would be where each one can be found. For each of the gold achievements, give suggestions on how a player can make gold efficiently. For some of the PvP acheivements, add a link to some PvP guide(s). In it's current standing, this is just a reference.

The difference between a reference and a guide is that a reference is basically just a summarized list posted in a different medium for others to refer to when the other medium(s) are inaccessible. A guide includes additional information that is otherwise unobtainable by the actual medium, where the creator undergoes work/testing to add insight on how to complete the indicated action(s).

Again, I'm not trying to berate or insult you, I'm just trying to give constructive criticism on the utility of this "guide". And I'm not saying it's useless, as I'm sure someone will find this useful when they aren't able to log into the game, but I personally wouldn't consider this as a guide, since it's basically just a copy-paste of what's already in the game.
    I'm sure you were well intentioned, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. I felt neither berated nor insulted, but I do feel a bit mystified that the definition of a guide is actually a sticking point for you. My original post fits the dictionary definition of a guide, which is actually quite broad. I believe you are arguing that you don't think STS should consider this a guide because it lacks something you'd like to see included. Had you the power, would you deny forum readers access to this post in the Player's Guide section merely because it doesn't fit your definition of a guide? That seems a bit mad.

Also, considering I already stated my intention to add the content you've now twice advised me to include, I'm left uncertain as to what you are trying to convey, other than perhaps you are trying to clarify your intent? I assure you, my understanding of how to properly expand on the content of my guide is as strong as it has always been.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association