Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gaming etiquette (manners)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Red face gaming etiquette (manners)

After reading of many posts and game issues I have decided it is time for a post on gaming etiquette's Please feel free to add ideas as I have not compiled a completed list, but will be glad to add to a finished draft of gaming etiquette.

For those of you who do not know what etiquette are, in simple terms manners. A common complaint in game seems to be issues such as being booted and rude behavior. Let me begin by saying that Pocket Legends has been created for the enjoyment of users of all ages.

game etiquette

ALL players have been in forest haven, fort Black stone and even in game when that one player begins spamming the board with their sales or off the wall comments. At some point one to several people asks a player to “STOP SPAMMING”. This activity can bring forth a volley of ignorance from irritated players who are standing in the room reading posts from other players who are selling an item, or simple having a decent public discussion. If a player can not understand why other players become annoyed with one person saying “S- war hammer 150k” every few seconds this is why.

The main message board can only hold a small amount of messages that are visible, I phone and pod users can scroll messages if they go to a private character name and hit the message comments, I can not speak for droid users as to how this works for them, but those who use I pads have an approx. 10 lines to read before the messages disappear into the abyss of the universe. "BIG deal”, right? Wrong! For serious players and collectors, this is annoying, when one player takes over the main board spamming, and one other posts a collectors dream such as “s- lvl 50 vexnar of hate offer" ( no I have not seen this post yet…. Just an example..Upon editing this page, I can now say I have...still face palm some of you know why.) Just as this player posts the spamming player repeats his or her sale so much the other player selling is again lost in the abyss.

Along these lines those who are irritated with a player a simple note, the MORE attention you give to a player who is spam selling or spam vulgarities, the MORE they do. If the player does not want to stop spam selling, go to a new room, do not purchase their item, though the player is annoying name calling and temper flaring turns you into being as guilty as they are again taking up the main board. All in all you end up no better than the spammer. If a player is vulgar, place on main board a message about the fact that vulgar behavior is something that the devs ban accounts for. Report the character and put them on ignore, AGAIN attention feeds these players into continuing behavior.

1). Gaming manner rule one- do not spam the boards
    2) Report vulgar players do not play into them.
    3) Ask if a room is full before purchasing an elixir
    4) Never run into a map like your butt is being chased by a rabid dog, go with the
    team.
    5) Do not sell while in game ( announce if you must and ask people to meet you
    after boss)
    6) Be polite and ask admins if you can lead a pull
    7) Do not join a game and stay in the middle of the map, I understand lag but lag
    does not just mysteriously disappear as the boss is almost dead.
    8) Do not beg no means no
    9) Be helpful
    10) Be teachable
    11) Realize this is a team style game its not “I,ME,MY”
    12) Be willing to give
    13) remember your way is not the only way
    14) THIS IS A GAME!!! HAVE FUN MISTAKES HAPPEN LAUGHS OCCUR, LAUGH IN
    SPITE OF YOURSELF!

15) Do not join a game in progress with your low level account no matter who you
    are,seriously people players are not in the sewer maps to level your accounts. If you are trying to power level PLEASE ask people before a game is in

The next topic is joining a game, everyone has joined a game from there friends lists. The most common complaints is being booted from a game. The most common response from a player once being booted is “I am on your friends list, or i am putting you on ignore”. These two familiars are the top line of irritating, to ASSUME (everyone know what assume means?) that another player is just being ignorant is in most cases furthest from the truth. A majority of the time a team of players has gathered together for some fun and they are running maps together. (With many thanks from the devs the upcoming change of passwords that are inclusive of the friends list, being booted will happen on a smaller scale) Now when a room admin switches maps and someone jumps in, there is not time for a ten minute conversation as to why another player can not stay, even veteran players do this at times,)"the bottom line is 99% of the time being booted is NOT ABOUT YOU. It is about gaming integrity, keeping players who have worked threw maps and wish to continue playing.

When you get an odd letter such as “ a, s, n, y” as a rule this means the admin does not have time to write a long message to you, the reason is in general because they have a team in play, someone gets lag booted, does anyone know what it is like to be in a mob loose a player to lag and have 7 people try to join the room as the original player tries to get back in? AHHHHHH is all I can say I personally hate dyeing because I have to keep booting, the best part of this is when a player you boot continually spam comments you after the boot, or swears at you. LOVELY… this action is a sure way to earn your way to other players ignore list. Again with thanks the devs made it possible to add a name to your ignore list.

I can understand when a player is being booted from a game they worked threw and the admin boots the player at the boss, this behavior is terrible etiquette, rude and ignorance all in one. If a solution can not be found with the admin of a room run such as this, take down the name of the player and bring it to the Court of Alterra! This court has been set up to help eliminate player vs player issues, which can in general be solved, threw a mediator of the game.

NEVER enter a room full of players and just purchase an elixir! ALWAYS ASK “are you full?" the players will respond, wait for your answer! If I am admin trying to collect my team to a new map I CAN NOT SEE YOUR QUESTION UNTIL I RETURN TO MAIN ROOM MESSAGE BOARD. I have never seen no none answer this question, once you get an answer such as “your good, or no, or you are all set etc.” then purchase an elixir. This prevents you from spending money and then being booted from a game.

NEVER..... when you enter a map and the team is standing still, never just run into the mob or pull them to the other players, this is rude and often gets a player the boot, there is a reason players are standing still, rule of thumb just wait.
    If you have joined a room, you are joining a game that is not yours do not take over the game like you have been voted president of the United States. Ask the admin “ can I pull?” or who is pulling the boss? Countless times I have had people enter my games, the players I game with in general have the same style or we have run together so much we work like clock work. When a new join comes in and nerfs the map because they are not willing to be team players, I warn them to please read the message board and to work as a team, when responses are given like you all are noobs, or I can play how I want etc. (oh and I have had much worse) I will boot you at that point potted or not, If you do not like the way an admin is running the game leave and make your own.

Do not join maps with the purpose of selling your items, a map is where the game is occurring, players do not go to a dungeon to purchase items, do not continually post your sales in a room, why because we are playing the game, two while you are trying to sell people are dying because you time is being spent chatting instead of attacking. If you have an item to sell and feel the burning need to try sales away from the main sales floors, them please list your item before game starts, and add a see me after boss if you are interested memo.

Do not spam invites,nothing is more aggravating than another player begging for 100 gold they can farm in no time, than being spam invited, to a map, yes on occasion a double invite goes out to the same player because the invite screen moves, but this does not happen 4-15 times in a row, If a player is in your friends list where they are is listed, if a player is in game one invite is more than enough, why? Because they are in game! Spam invites cause lag and irritation when the words are dead across the center of the screen. I personally will not join a room when I am spam invited. This same idea goes for pm”s , if I am in game I do not answer that second because I am fighting in a game, and in general I am the mage, other players are not fond of dying because a player is busy chatting in their friends list the whole time we are in map.

What is a noob? Simply put a new player I have a lvl 56 account I am far from new in the game but my lvl 5 is a noob account. Do not assume that a lower player is always a noob, you may be surprised who is in disguise, so ignorance to low lvls is not a player with any manners. The term noob is used in all gaming worlds, experienced to inexperienced players are called noobs, an experienced player who messes up often calls them self a noob, all in all it is not a word used for spite.

NO means NO the word NO is simple English term that all can understand. Do not beg a player over and over after they have said no, this is rude and in general can earn your way off people friends list.

DO NOTmake fun of others for the sake of making fun of them: countless times I see general questions on the main board, such as where is Maria? In general people are helpful, but there are always those who feel it necessary to be ignorant to new players, everyone was new at one time, be helpful, this allows game fun for all.

MANY thanks to those upper lvls who answered questions and occasional would assist me in killing a boss when no one was in my maps lvls, explained to me the game. Those things allowed for a great gaming experience, and allowed me to see how when a player asks with manners can someone please help me, someone will. Along the note of being new and upper players, for those of you who are seasoned at game play.. I have a noob account; my sole reason was to be a new player and experiment to see how the newest generation of players responds to and helps lowers.

For 3 weeks I have run around forest haven and the castle, speaking to people, adding friends, and trying to get help in a map, never once asking for anything from any player. The sad news, the newest players are not as helpful as old school players once where. Out of all my upper lvl “friends” in other accounts,:confused The same two players answered my post about helping with a boss at a different time. As I stood in forest haven now home of many swindlers and rude filled players, I challenged a player on their language and rude behavior. 27 players in that map, began posting things like what do you know you’re a noob, I was called names, and lvl 50-56 account holders posted lol and lmao (all that does in encourage rude behavior) I reported this player as his “drug dealing comments where far from humorous”. Day 20 a player approaches me and says hey you are cool I like you, dressed in my poorest cloths the player began to give usable items for my character. (Pinks are cool but for new players usable gear rocks) At this point I asked the player to please stay I would be right back, I joined the game from my phone and rejoined the map with my 56, I went into the trade window with this player and gave them 150k and 1000 manna and health pots, along with some gear for their lvl 51 character, This player took the time to try to help a little level 5 that is the type of game play that will keep pocket legends number one. ( I do not share this story for tooting of my own horn, I share this story because the players in this game need to help in the community, this will keep PL a growing place) Upper levels need to take aaless time complaining about power leveled players and begin to teach by example, game play, the giving spirit and etiquette.

On another note: Forum manners, one area I have seen in the forums is the usage of other player names in a demeaning manner. If a player earns their right to use of name due to being a dishonest player, I consider that to be a warning, however: using specific player names brings forth defense and hurt by other players. When posting to forums blacking out the player name in the screen shot, or simply stating the issue without player name is all that is necessary. There are many helpful players that may be able to assist you in player to player issues. Bringing names into forum is not any better than the offense the opposing player did to bring you to complain, you are then not stooped down to another players immaturity or ignorance. Instead of feeding in, many mature players will offer solutions.

BY following these simple game manner rules pocket legends and other games released from Space Time studios , can and will remain the most enjoyable game that apple can offer.
    Last edited by LADYHADASSA; 04-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Nice summary.

Seems like this should be in the General Discussion section since it's not limited to pvp.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Great thread. I'll add this to the list of all the guides I made...
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

thanks red, in my posting i placed this in the wrong area as Kalie stated, I did not mean to post this in the pvp section alone.. :0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I realized what i had done after posting, is there a way to remove a post and re post in proper area?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask the devs....

Plasticuproject

Wonderful post. I would be honored to do some runs with you. Add me if you would like to do some well mannered runs with a fellow Buckeye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticuproject View Post
    Wonderful post. I would be honored to do some runs with you. Add me if you would like to do some well mannered runs with a fellow Buckeye
    Thank you i will add u to my 51 and 56 ladyhadasa and ladyhadazza

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice summary
    .. Lvl 55 Faryia (Pally)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Bill Walls of Text Death discourage people to read it. I recommend using bold/underline/indent and spacing to make your text more visually appealing so people would actually take the time to read it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a separate but related topic, I have an android and the way I scroll up the community chat is to first minimize my skills bar, expand the chat dialog, and then press on the button to chat, which then allows me to scroll via up and down buttons on the chat dialog (your skills menu will interfere with scrolling if you do not minimize it)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supersteak View Post
    The Bill Walls of Text Death discourage people to read it. I recommend using bold/underline/indent and spacing to make your text more visually appealing so people would actually take the time to read it.
    Nothing copies here the same as it is in microsoft word, had color text , bold indents the whole deal however once it is pasted here none of the format transfers.. So if those of you who know what programs there are to help i. This situation please let me know, i can only learn when others share.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LADYHADASSA View Post
    Nothing copies here the same as it is in microsoft word, had color text , bold indents the whole deal however once it is pasted here none of the format transfers.. So if those of you who know what programs there are to help i. This situation please let me know, i can only learn when others share.

Thanks
    If you 'go advanced' at bottom right while you are posting, you have all the formatting, colors, etc options of Word (mostly). It's how Yanis and Physiologic and others do their super-long guides. Loses formatting pasting in from Word, but they can pretty easily reformat
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Great guide! I hope this will become a sticky for every new (and senior) player to read and keep in the back of their heads.

I especially liked the part where you said IT'S A GAME. It should be fun above all else IMO

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    If you 'go advanced' at bottom right while you are posting, you have all the formatting, colors, etc options of Word (mostly). It's how Yanis and Physiologic and others do their super-long guides. Loses formatting pasting in from Word, but they can pretty easily reformat
    ty ! I will try to re format tomorrow on an edit your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Great guide! I hope this will become a sticky for every new (and senior) player to read and keep in the back of their heads.

I especially liked the part where you said IT'S A GAME. It should be fun above all else IMO
    Thank you J i hope that this will be a reminder a little nice goes a long way who wants to sign onto a game to become frusturated and angry?!? Games are an escape for most..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by braluk View Post
    In a separate but related topic, I have an android and the way I scroll up the community chat is to first minimize my skills bar, expand the chat dialog, and then press on the button to chat, which then allows me to scroll via up and down buttons on the chat dialog (your skills menu will interfere with scrolling if you do not minimize it)
    Thank you for covering droid users i pad however is out of luck with that aspect for the moment anyway ... However solutions for all user platforms is important information for others to share

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

After trying to re format this post and having the codes placed into the text ( the text changed but the codes visable) ahhhhhhhhhh...... So if anyone has some info on how to edit here without getting all the codes.... I will give this another go... at the moment I am agitated after having to go and remove all the dang codes...

Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

great job lady. =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts