Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Official PvP feedback thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok 1. Thx for turn the dmg lower.

But a tank reggs more than he lose lol

u guys do a real good job u listen to the players and try to do it perfect thx for this
    JoeRoe -35 Mage
    Jojoe. -35 Archer
    Jayjoe. -35 Warrier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just played some PvP. It's slowly getting there, but unfortunately, now it takes way too long to kill someone. I fear that by reducing damage across the board, it's minimizing the differences between those who do more damage and those who do less damage.

For example, if all damage is reduced in half, then someone who was doing 100 a shot is doing 50, and someone doing 80 a shot is doing 40. Instead of an extra 20 points of damage per hit over the other person before the reduction in damage, now they're only doing 10 more than the other person, meaning there's not a whole lot of difference and trivializes the extra damage people have built up.

Some other suggestions:

- When someone dies and respawns, give them "ghost" status for 5 seconds where they can't attack or be attacked, to help prevent spawn killings.
    - Stun should stun the character so they can't do anything, not just make it so they can't move and still attack back.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Synozeer; 05-25-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Characters: Grimglum, Azoi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synozeer View Post
    Just played some PvP. It's slowly getting there, but now unfortunately, now it takes way too long to kill someone. I fear that by reducing damage across the board, it's minimizing the differences between those who do more damage and those who do less damage.

For example, if all damage is reduced in half, then someone who was doing 100 a shot is doing 50, and someone doing 80 a shot is doing 40. Instead of an extra 20 points of damage per hit over the other person before the reduction in damage, now they're only doing 10 more than the other person, meaning there's not a whole lot of difference and trivializes the extra damage people have built up.

Some other suggestions:

- When someone dies and respawns, give them "ghost" status for 5 seconds where they can't attack or be attacked, to help prevent spawn killings.
    - Stun should stun the character so they can't do anything, not just make it so they can't move and still attack back.

Thanks!

Can't agree more,

and it makes enchantress more useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j46g629h View Post
    Can't agree more,

and it makes enchantress more useless.
    I disagree. While I'm not sold on the changes (I think something more comprehensive is necessary than just altering damage tables) I think it made my enchanter much stronger. Having 14m/s I almost never died in the matches I played and always had mana to heal and attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heres a challenge.

Get two warriors to kill eachother.

Nothing happens. Lol..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just played some PvP. It's slowly getting there, but unfortunately, now it takes way too long to kill someone. I fear that by reducing damage across the board, it's minimizing the differences between those who do more damage and those who do less damage.

Some other suggestions:

Thanks!
    You can't really have it both ways, in that even after reductions, you're still doing 20 more damage. We wanted longer matches, and thats what we got. Instead of dying in 2 shots, you're dying in 20, and in that time you've got a larger window of opportunity to play your class in a way that it works best for the situation rather than dying before that situation ever gets a chance to arise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FeralDruid View Post
    You can't really have it both ways, in that even after reductions, you're still doing 20 more damage. We wanted longer matches, and thats what we got. Instead of dying in 2 shots, you're dying in 20, and in that time you've got a larger window of opportunity to play your class in a way that it works best for the situation rather than dying before that situation ever gets a chance to arise.
    I'm doing 20 more damage, but that's not what my character with his equipment was designed to do - he was designed to do 40. PvP is putting an artificial reduction on my characters abilities, basically changing the way everything works and interacts with one another. Overall, it's throwing everything out of balance and making PvP boring and generic.

In my opinion, the real way to fix this problem (and several others in the game), is to make gaining hit points level based so that you don't end up with 1st level characters having the same health as a 35th level character. That just doesn't make sense. Sure, this would require a revamp of most things in the game, but there's a reason why almost every level based RPG and MMORPG in existence uses a hit point per level system - it works! And it lets you add a lot more variety to the game without the restraints of staying within the small range of hit points characters can have.

Right now the hit points per level is supplemented with armor. Every level you can do more damage, and armor can absorb more damage. Overall, it stays even, and no matter what class you are, there's very little difference in armors for the different classes. A few points here and there, but that's really not significant. If you had a hit point system, you'd start to get big differences between the class, which is how it should be.
    Last edited by Synozeer; 05-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Characters: Grimglum, Azoi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm doing 20 more damage, but that's not what my character with his equipment was designed to do - he was designed to do 40. PvP is putting an artificial reduction on my characters abilities, basically changing the way everything works and interacts with one another. Overall, it's throwing everything out of balance and making PvP boring and generic.

In my opinion, the real way to fix this problem (and several others in the game), is to make gaining hit points level based so that you don't end up with 1st level characters having the same health as a 35th level character. That just doesn't make sense. Sure, this would require a revamp of most things in the game, but there's a reason why almost every level based RPG and MMORPG in existence uses a hit point per level system - it works! And it lets you add a lot more variety to the game without the restraints of staying within the small range of hit points characters can have.

Right now the hit points per level is supplemented with armor. Every level you can do more damage, and armor can absorb more damage. Overall, it stays even, and no matter what class you are, there's very little difference in armors for the different classes. A few points here and there, but that's really not significant. If you had a hit point system, you'd start to get big differences between the class, which is how it should be.
    This isn't "every other mmo" if we get to the bottom of things. This is core gameplay, the very basics packaged into a pick-up-and-play digestible format for a portable medium.

Saying you want to keep your +40 damage which you've acquired through gear means those highly geared have an easier time chalking up victories. No thanks, I don't want to grind out gear just so I can be on par with people who have more time to play than I do. I'd rather take my welfare epics and be on a level playing field with those who spent days tracking down a pink helm and still hand out beat downs based on how I play and not what I'm wearing.

The bottom line is PvP is about using your class to the best of its ability..

Saying the PvP is watered down, or lacks dynamics ignores variables such as spec and weapons of choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, nothing has changed except the timeline. Before, you used to do 40 extra damage in 5 seconds. Now, you do 40 extra damage in 10 seconds. You still have the same difference in damage across classes, you have simply changed the time table.

The only thing this really effects is skill based spike damage, because you have to deal with recasts. There are really only a very few skills that have significant timers, though, and most of those are defensive.

Also, I just did small test in the game where I sat there with my Sniper's Bayou Bow and shot at a warrior (he was helping with the test) without him attacking back and couldn't kill him. 3 minutes later and he was still fine.
    I call shenanigans, seeing as how I just went through a pvp round where I specifically targeted the warriors... and I was able to kill them... with Scabby Heavy Crossbow. Took me a while, but then... it's a bloody tank - it SHOULD take me a while. They survive. That's kinda the point...

Not to mention, these are not 1v1 pvp arenas. They are 3v3 and 5v5. At the moment, they are being played like a bunch of crazies running around with hatchets, hacking at the first thing they see. Eventually, you will wind up with groups that work together, that coordinate attacks, that have certain characters assigned certain roles, that focus fire, and that keep each other alive. When a group of 3 or 5 focus fires on that tank friend of yours, I guarantee you he will drop before he knows he is under attack... especially if they coordinate spikes.

Bam! Headshot!
    Last edited by Sicarii; 05-25-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Its very hard for 1 dps to take down a tank. But thats the way it should be.