Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: question: original purpose for GCD would be......?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the concept of what is trying to be achieved, however, I think it needs to twinking. I wouldn't say this adds any more challenge to the game, it just makes you play at a slower pace. If you wanted to stop us from pulling large groups etc and just running into rooms, you have accomplished this.

I myself wish the game was more challenging. If that was the goal, making harder mobs and harder bosses would solve that and make everyone happy. Yet like Lesrider stated, in the past you have nurfed the game when it was more "challenging" (more fun?). So I also am at a loss with this. If the timing is reduced to a shorter time than .5 seconds I think that could make a huge difference.

I am optimistic that everything will work out. As it is I am left disappointed, yet like most other players I will continue to play regardless
    - OlliWalli: Level 56 Dual Stat Int/Str Mage [ ] OlliDaWalli: Level 55 Pure Dex Bird
    - OliTwinkNWali: Level 15 PvP Dex Bear

* Guild Member of AEO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Are you the dude that posted this video on PL's facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....34271&comments

If so, I feel really bad for you. Sorry to see you go.
    wow that was funny. he's mashing on the skill buttons that are still GCD dark while totally neglecting to use his basic attack. Poor playing, just really bad...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    wow that was funny. he's mashing on the skill buttons that are still GCD dark while totally neglecting to use his basic attack. Poor playing, just really bad...
    He's actually mashing on skills that should be ready and are lit but the skills are not responding.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched), make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy), and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

- Cinco
    The "lag" was a badge of honor for some, especially when it was filled with "Combos" and immediately followed by many npc deaths. I've said enough about the GCD in other posts, but for me it's sad the game is changing into a less casual game, I think that was a major strength of this game. I can get hardcore mmo challenges from other games.

Kraz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Yes - you can now get into situations where you must make critical choices between which skill (or combo) you attempt... or your consequences could be dire! This does make it a bit less casual than it was. I like this because, as a game designer, I don't really wish Pocket Legends to be the ultimate in casual role-playing. I want it to be somewhat more skill / choice oriented than it has been. The GCD achieves this. Downside is - GCD takes some getting used-to
    I think that's a mistake and not a particularly good reason. I do understand it -- and am glad you've stated it -- but the game has been out as a casual role-playing game, reviewed (and highly praised!) as one, and played as one for more than just a few weeks. Purposefully changing the type of game? Try it in Blackstar.

And, most of all, it's on mobile devices -- the ultimate in casual gaming devices, where the ultimate in casual role-playing _should be_. But, if PL is going to turn into a hard core RPG, well, that's fine. I still graduated from college despite playing MUDs 20 hours a day -- I would have killed for a way to play mobile back then! I'm sure I can still find time to get work in now.

The other stated reasons -- lag and PvP blasting -- had (in my mind) several alternate solutions (such as server enforcement).

Thing is, I don't mind the GCD (as I've stated before) but, from my point of view, it's actually taken skill and choice away from the game (so far).

I appreciate the forum involvement by you and the other employees. I've seen some games where big, unpopular changes have taken place and the developers didn't explain anything. Far worse.

Anyway, gotta go back to the grinding...
    Lilbyrdie - Enchantress; Naabafrekie - Archer; Bearmiathan - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that video makes it look terrible! I have no such problems. But his/her problems have nothing to do with GCD and everything to do with the phone not detecting presses quite frequently -- and them pressing for another several times after it finally does go through. And let's not even get into the use and selection of skills for a bird.
    Lilbyrdie - Enchantress; Naabafrekie - Archer; Bearmiathan - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zeazety View Post
    ... everything is a little more strategic now that you can't just roll your face on the skill bars.
    LOLOL10charLOL!

Tiliana - 54 Pure Int Mage & Atilian - 21 Pure Dex Archer
    Spamming the heals and living the dream once again.

Senior Member Wbto-Angeluscustos's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    to prevent people from cheating in pvp by using the multi tap on tablets (ipads) for tapping and firing off up to 10 skills at the same time. it was implemented in pve as well probably because there might be no way to limit it just to pvp, since it may take a lot more work and other complicated aspecs to accomplish it. theyll be working on it and have a solution by the end of the day.
    omg i did not know that they could multi touch.. that is sick although very unfiar
    (THANKS TO LADYLOVE) BEST SIG MAKER!

Angeluscustos - 70 Birdie | Wbto - 65 Pally | Murtaghthorn - 35 Twink | Wbtowbto - 45 Twink |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no that dude is me.. i posted it last night. I tried playing this morning when the new update came out.. its not as worse as last night but still annoying. I wanted to provide objective feedback to the devs. I tried to do a poll, but that got lost (read deleted) somewhere along the line. I am interested to know how you are liking the update phys? I have seen your videos on how to play a bird by being in front, are you using much more pots?

Also I as well as many others look up to you on your playing style and have seen that video you posted on how to be in front, could you take the time to do a quick video for us with high ping to see how you do it now?
    Last edited by suomaf; 04-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilbyrdie View Post
    Wow, that video makes it look terrible! I have no such problems. But his/her problems have nothing to do with GCD and everything to do with the phone not detecting presses quite frequently -- and them pressing for another several times after it finally does go through. And let's not even get into the use and selection of skills for a bird.
    It does look terrible, it felt even worse. I know that I look like a complete newbie, but thats pretty much how I play. I would scream if I see a bear scream so as to try to catch the terror combo. I would try to use the roots to line up for the mages to go with lightning, but timing was off and frustration sets in. At the end of the video, I was pretty much paying attention to the skills buttons and not much else. The phone in question was a nexus S and the skills not firing was the high ping in my country added to the new GCD I think. The high ping was always a problem before, but during some good times, I would really enjoy myself, now not so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

it was made to make it a fair experince for everyone and to get rid of alot of lag because everyone was using all there attacks at once thats y GCD was created

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

I said a few things against GCD on facebook, now PL blocked me even though I have praised many of the large number of successful additions to the game in the past. (Btw PL, I really like the penguin face)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

GCD is the worst double the amount of potions u need and the time to get through levels, also it greatly weaken players ability at buffing which should ideally be done at one instant, now in pve the mobs easily slaughter the players even 56s. Furthermore the idea of it has caused many players to abandon the game which is not good( unless u want to be the only player). I used to be unlucky to die once in a lvl, now I'm lucky if I only die once. GCD is destroying the players' enjoyment of the game and it is hurting the game itself. As for pvp it now shows little of the player's strategy; it just shows who has more armour mainly the previous strategic combo of pvp now are reduced to minor attacks an the player's weaker weapon is take the kills of elongated battles. I truly hope dev consider the players voice and remove it. GCD mainly just switches the roles of the legend and the noob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilbyrdie View Post
    And, most of all, it's on mobile devices -- the ultimate in casual gaming devices, where the ultimate in casual role-playing _should be_. But, if PL is going to turn into a hard core RPG, well, that's fine. I still graduated from college despite playing MUDs 20 hours a day -- I would have killed for a way to play mobile back then! I'm sure I can still find time to get work in now.
    Did you ever play the MUD Achaea by Iron Realms? If you did, you might remember me. I'm Lord Caine de Soulis of the Maldaathi.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nuking also caused ping to go up on some devices. my droid 2 ran it just fine with nuking but some devies it would cause ping to go up or even ping out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chancer View Post
    GCD is the worst double the amount of potions u need and the time to get through levels, also it greatly weaken players ability at buffing which should ideally be done at one instant, now in pve the mobs easily slaughter the players even 56s.
    I wonder if this is an unintended effect of the GCD or a major reason for implementing it. The fact is with the way the game works now it would be MUCH more tempting for somebody who is invested in PL to spend lots of money on Platinum to advance their character. I remember playing before the 'it takes more XP to lvl' update... That update made me seriously consider whether I wanted to continue playing or not because the game began to feel like a real grind. I considered buying Pots to gain dbl or triple XP, but, in the end I just bought a few with extra gold. Playing from lvl 1 to 56 seems like it would take an absolute eternity now though. I mean literally a couple months playing for several hours or more a day.

I'm not saying STS added the GCD as a way to increase revenue, but, in a freemium game like this the motives of the developer are going to be questioned. Hopefully I'm wrong, but, I probably won't be around to find out either way. Might come back to checkout their new game(s).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Well if it was meant to increase revenue, it failed considering players online now have been greatly reduced since those pre-1.7.1