Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: question: original purpose for GCD would be......?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question question: original purpose for GCD would be......?

Not sure if it has been officially explained, but what is the purpose behind GCD?
    Thanks in advance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To make you angry.

I would guess to balance combat a bit more... everything is a little more strategic now that you can't just roll your face on the skill bars.
    Zeazety - 55 Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

to prevent people from cheating in pvp by using the multi tap on tablets (ipads) for tapping and firing off up to 10 skills at the same time. it was implemented in pve as well probably because there might be no way to limit it just to pvp, since it may take a lot more work and other complicated aspecs to accomplish it. theyll be working on it and have a solution by the end of the day.

4.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,177 Posts

GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched), make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy), and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

- Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    to prevent people from cheating in pvp by using the multi tap on tablets (ipads) for tapping and firing off up to 10 skills at the same time. it was implemented in pve as well probably because there might be no way to limit it just to pvp, since it may take a lot more work and other complicated aspecs to accomplish it. theyll be working on it and have a solution by the end of the day.
    See, this is what I don't understand. Why not just make the skills not tappable at the same time? Or, why not make the GCD a VERY small amount: .05 seconds, just enough so that a person couldn't smash their whole hand on the screen?

There had to be an alternative motive. I know part of the reason was for lag issues. But honestly, doing an entire gameplay overhaul for a few instances of lag seems a bit counterintuitive. Why not just tone down the effects or something? The only time I really noticed lag was after the Alien Oasis town addition, before then, lag was never an issue. I don't think I have seen anyone post on forums that they wanted the devs to change the lag issue, so I don't feel it was that big of an issue. Unless of course it was causing issues on the server side of PL, then it was a necessary change.

It seems to me that the devs actually wanted to edit the style of gameplay. Whether they wanted it to be more challenging, directed at more experienced players (which contradicts how much of an overhaul the "new player experience" has been), or just spice things up a bit, I don't see how all of this was done because of an ipad.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched), make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy), and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

- Cinco
    Thanks Cinco. I guess my only question is that -- doesn't this new element take away from the casual nature of the game that has created such a broad appeal and ease of play. I posted my other comments in the Feedback thread, but to me it seems like perhaps the GCD went too far in one directions at the cost of some of the things that make this game so fun and appealing to so many people. I am sure there is a happy medium somewhere. And I really am appreciative of the attention that you all, as developers, give to our feedback. Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    Thanks Cinco. I guess my only question is that -- doesn't this new element take away from the casual nature of the game that has created such a broad appeal and ease of play. I posted my other comments in the Feedback thread, but to me it seems like perhaps the GCD went too far in one directions at the cost of some of the things that make this game so fun and appealing to so many people. I am sure there is a happy medium somewhere. And I really am appreciative of the attention that you all, as developers, give to our feedback. Thanks again.
    x2

I have noticed that there is only about 4 or 5 skills that are usable now just because of the time it takes to cool down. The change was too drastic IMO, but I am hopeful they don't stay. This is the only game I've ever spent money on.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    Yes - you can now get into situations where you must make critical choices between which skill (or combo) you attempt... or your consequences could be dire! This does make it a bit less casual than it was. I like this because, as a game designer, I don't really wish Pocket Legends to be the ultimate in casual role-playing. I want it to be somewhat more skill / choice oriented than it has been. The GCD achieves this. Downside is - GCD takes some getting used-to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Yes - you can now get into situations where you must make critical choices between which skill (or combo) you attempt... or your consequences could be dire! This does make it a bit less casual than it was. I like this because, as a game designer, I don't really wish Pocket Legends to be the ultimate in casual role-playing. I want it to be somewhat more skill / choice oriented than it has been. The GCD achieves this. Downside is - GCD takes some getting used-to
    and lots of locked threads in the making? I like GCD a lot though, ads more of a skill requirement, less of a speed requirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

- Cinco
    I just don't understand this, Cinco. Any time the game was challeging, you guys nerfed it (with the exception of the caves, of course). Please make up your minds. -_-'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but my lag has been worse since gcd. I have never been into games in my life until I stumbled across this gem. I truly love this game and spend money on it because I think it's worth it, but gcd ruins it for me. Metronome-type game play.....press(wait)..........press(wait)......... .press(wait)........
    However, I like what the game has been up until now, so ill wait it out to see what sticks.
    P.S. I wish the devs good luck in sorting this out; they kinda have the whole world in their hands.....and hey......it's a big world in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    I just don't understand this, Cinco. Any time the game was challeging, you guys nerfed it (with the exception of the caves, of course). Please make up your minds. -_-'
    I don't want to whine but fixing a lag issue by having a built in lag seems somewhat contradictory to me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Less lagg. I can rly feel the difference on my ipad sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched)
    Balefort Sewers is challenging (for level 50-54 character) because of good level and boss design. Making the game "challenging" by nerfing players' abilities to use their character's skills comes across as a lazy way to add challenge.

make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy)
    To repeat my concerns from the original thread regarding the pending GCD: it's a bad, bad idea to break PvE to satisfy the small number of people who actually do PvP.

and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'
    I'll buy this as legitimate, even if I think the better solution is to just turn down detail on the slower clients.

Lag is a problem in a different direction now, however... my skills don't seem to fire at all if my ping time starts getting above 500 or so.
    Potentially helpful thread: Your Job (or: How Not To Look Like A N00b)
    My Guild: The Duchy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    I don't want to whine but fixing a lag issue by having a built in lag seems somewhat contradictory to me...
    Your quote messed up my face

Anyway, to add to what I said -- there are many ways to make the game more challenging and offer more choices. You've proven that in the past with the original ao3, etc. There are ways to tweak the game without doing a major overhaul.
    For instance, add more skill choices, but limit people to 12. Or add passive skills to the mix (most RPGs have them).

Make little changes that offer people MORE choices, rather than taking things away to FORCE them to choose from things they're used to having.

Plasticuproject

Last edited by Plasticuproject; 02-08-2021 at 10:16 AM.

17.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #17
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticuproject View Post
    I agree with everything above. My chronic lag mixed with purposeful lag of the gcd and its poor responsiveness pretty much leave this app useless for me. I simply can't play now. For lack of better words, for me you broke the game, and it sounds like You are not even willing to play with the gcd time at all, you want to nerf and buff other things. Everything so far in this thread makes total sense save everything you've said Cinco. I'm sorry but that's how it seems. I hope you guys get everything worked out so I can play my game again! Good luck!
    Sorry to confuse you

See you around.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticuproject View Post
    I agree with everything above. My chronic lag mixed with purposeful lag of the gcd and its poor responsiveness pretty much leave this app useless for me. I simply can't play now. For lack of better words, for me you broke the game, and it sounds like You are not even willing to play with the gcd time at all, you want to nerf and buff other things. Everything so far in this thread makes total sense save everything you've said Cinco. I'm sorry but that's how it seems. I hope you guys get everything worked out so I can play my game again! Good luck!
    Are you the dude that posted this video on PL's facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....34271&comments

If so, I feel really bad for you. Sorry to see you go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

- Cinco
    Hi Cinco -

Thanks a lot for this. I just downloaded the app update (finally!). Yup first impression were immediately:

1) Smoother performance
    2) More decision and working on strategy for using skills.

& thanks for supporting my oldee 2.5G iPhone: Cannot believe you guys are able to pull this off. *doffs hat*.

Perhaps a few tweeks in some of the updates but time will tell. I was thinking (manna/health increases could be exempt from GDC) but maybe that is an unproductive idea as only been playing for 30mins and you guys surely will have tested a lot more than that! Kudos.

Plasticuproject

Last edited by Plasticuproject; 02-08-2021 at 10:16 AM.