Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCD Pvp Opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GCD Pvp Opinion

This past week there was the launch of a Global Cool Down update that restrained the use of fast pace Pvp Skill summoning. Along with the update came cool emotes, new screen designs and different characterized faces. Up to the point of this update the Developers, also known as Devs, have been outstanding when it came to pleasing the users of Pocket Legends. So why is it that when this update came out, there was a sudden shift of respect and appreciation? Lots of players quit, some were so angry they were banned for doing something irresponsible. It's sickening.

From what I know, the goal of GCD was to even out the possibility of Pvp and make the skills of each avatar quite similar. Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the game. If all lvl 55/56's were delegated to contain the same set of skill level then why make the game players able to "customize" skills and weapons? Because the game is called "Pocket Legends." The goal of every Pvp player is to become a "Legend" in their own shape and form. All the farming, practicing, money spent of platinum, experimenting with different skills and stats were put into each and every character to the fitting of that persons liking in order to execute what they wanted. For GCD to want to make everyone equal is taking the pride out of each character. It's taking those hours of practice, farming, and money spent away.

I agree that for iPad users there is now a limited time allot for their "multi-touch." And that is the only thing great about this GCD. However, there was NO indication that a certain Avatar was dominating the other ones. A lot of characters say that Dex Birds were dominating the Pvp Realm. That is not true. Depending on the skill level and how well a person Pvp'd there is no way of telling who dominates.

Take for instance Xrax, Skimmey, Hmmhmm, Junside, and Thelonearcher. They are all phenomenal birds with awesome reputations for being great Pvp players. But they did not get that repuation by merely becoming a bird. It took practice, failure, and achievement.

Tssros and Fabiokmd are well-known bears that will come out on top of everyone else as well. They also have repuatations as being kings of bears.

Kellylita, Imperialelf, Amyxrose, and Goodchoice are mages/pally's that have earned their names are great Pvp players also.

Did any of these players become great just by sitting around Forest Haven chatting or in Blackstone? No, They practiced and got to know their characters. It is possible for ANYONE to become great. There is no need to add a GCD because it seems as though people are dominating.

As for us players that have been hear for awhile, we gotta have a better attitude. Take the problems to the Forums and not the Pocket Legend World. Rate and explain your concerns on here. There are low level's that look up to some of you, and hearing negative things can discourage and even ruin the experience of some new players.

Thanks all!

-Faryia
    .. Lvl 55 Faryia (Pally)

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I'm going to read this later when I have time and respond
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think u got it quite right lol. The game system was pretty balanced before and with patience and knowledge u could beat all classes vice versa. And the global cool down as it is now really stops ppl from getting any better cause it's too much of a luck reliable system. Now I see ppl which I never saw in pvp ever before winning like crazy... I can deal with defeat but this would have never happened in the old version without getting much PRactise timing and ofc finger speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand how this is even a debate. GCD improves pvp without a doubt. It ADDS more skill to the play of the game. No other pvp game allows you to just mash every single one of your spells at the same time. It's retarded to the point of almost being a bug IMO. Of course it changes things a bit, but if someone is a good pvper, it shouldn't take long at all to learn how to play just as well with this new feature.

What they SHOULD do I believe is allow you to take your skills up to 7 or 8 instead of 6. That way there would be more unique characters because currently by time you are 56 you can have just about everything maxed. It's definitely not set up very well to have creative unique characters.

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I agree with Garden above. My gf is an avid WOW player and I got her to play PL unsuccessfully. She said it was just button mashing, whoever could hit their combo quicker wins. The GCD has greatly improved pvp from an RTS player vs player aspect. It was a bird dominated arena but some players think not, for example; if you are a pally like me birds were not a problem, unless they were the elite ones. If you were a mage you for the most part were a free kill for birds. Bears... Pfft. The gcd requires one to have more patience and be more methodical in the choice of your skills. One set nuke doesn't work everytime like before. I say learn and try it before you quit, quitting looks bad, real bad. No other mmo lets people just smash buttons , it was ridicoulus. I like the new set up, and with tweeks to it , I'm sure more people will too.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

A certain seasoned pvper lead me to this thread so ill give it a healthy bump. Regarding the op's post ill present a challenge. Remove the bias of "all classes were created equal before gcd" by not including the aforementioned expert pvpers. Now place an average bird against an average bear, pre-gcd. Without giving it much thought which class is MOST likely to win in an average situation, based on their arsenal of weapons and skills? Since the likely victor would be the bird, how is that balanced pre-gcd? Sounds pretty unbalanced to me to the same degree to which an average dex mage can defeat the average bird post-gcd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    A certain seasoned pvper lead me to this thread so ill give it a healthy bump. Regarding the op's post ill present a challenge. Remove the bias of "all classes were created equal before gcd" by not including the aforementioned expert pvpers. Now place an average bird against an average bear, pre-gcd. Without giving it much thought which class is MOST likely to win in an average situation, based on their arsenal of weapons and skills? Since the likely victor would be the bird, how is that balanced pre-gcd? Sounds pretty unbalanced to me to the same degree to which an average dex mage can defeat the average bird post-gcd.
    Actually, if you have experienced PvP at a high end level, you would know that the average bear would annihilation an average bird before GcD, any day of the week; no competition there. The high armor of the bear and the beckon + slashes + stomp combo would take out a bird EVEN if the bird unloaded his whole arsenal arrows. You had to be smart before to take out a fury bear and actually apply strategy skill you gained from the experience within the arena.

PvP was relatively well balanced before. 10-fold more than it is now. Every class had a more or less equal chance of killing the other class, given that you were skilled enough.
    Last edited by XRAX; 04-17-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post
    Actually, if you have experienced PvP at a high end level, you would know that the average bear would annihilation an average bird before GcD, any day of the week; no competition there. The high armor of the bear and the beckon + slashes + stomp combo would take out a bird EVEN if the bird unloaded his whole arsenal arrows. You had to be smart before to take out a fury bear and actually apply strategy skill you gained from the experience within the arena.
    yea i would say the same, a decent bear could beat a decent bird pre-gcd, but thats not the point hes trying to make
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    yea i would say the same, a decent bear could beat a decent bird pre-gcd, but thats not the point hes trying to make
    I briefly addressed the point he was trying to make in the second part of my post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with the decent Dex Mage beats the decent bird easy is that this is far more based on luck cause on dodges weights mire than ever before. U can't say I won anymore cause the lottery effect of dodge and crit won the match for u. This wasn't the case before.

I am not saying that it was perfectly balanced pre gcd. But it came really close.

There was something like a balance circle when equal skilled players met.

1/1 situation now: bear wins: birds and pallys
    Bird wins: mages
    Mage: as pally could beat birds most the times and as full int or Dex Mage could also win birds

This what I wrote above doesn't mean it is always the case there are lucky dodges and Frits as well but it depended on the player most of time to win an unfavorable matchup .

And to people who thought Dex bird was the easiest character to win in pvp is wrong.
    As a Dex bird u could easy steal kills which made it enjoyable for many players I think but for 1/1 and really winning s match it was quite hard not to die within one combo.

Well global cool down has nerved birds significantly. That's why u see most birds running around with dodge gear and hoping for lucky dodges and some criticals and win. but seriously pvp is much less strategic now because of that. A Mage which presses drain and fire and wins now ... Where lies the achievement in there? Mages which dominated their class in pvp pre gcd had so much more to do to win . They had to guess the distance perfectly. Some even timed the shield vs archers to absorb the removing blast . That's not even necessary anymore.

So I am really curious where the added challenge of playing more strategic is now? I would be really glad to hear a reason or and example which matchup is more strategic now.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

okay okay i need speak up

I love pvp i use to play day and day and here why GCD need be gone

1. I practice so long and become good before GCD. It take long time and alot practice it no happen overnight. I practice speed, timing, alot of senses i practice! I loved the challenge, love that game challenge all senses! BUT Now with GCD it too easy, no longer challenge just luck. Anyone play and win easy because all luck now. All people who practice hard now left in dust. Many new people come play now because GCD but they stop play very fast because bored. Pvp no longer challenge like use to be. People lose interest quick. I see lot a game before GCD but after GCD very little game. Some say now GCD better for kid but many kid play before and still very good because practice. Lonearcher a kid and he became very good top in leaderboard go look!! He only 13!!

2. No active activity like use to. Before GCD i see people make contest and come together as society to get lots of activity going. The community was together and team work together to beat other team in contest. But now society lose very much interest in PVP. Contest and challenge much less now. Everything splitt with who like GCD who no like GCD. Me no like too see this. Me like to see people Practice and become great, people who help team win , people who work and no give up, people come together and make some GOOD happen. But now new people come lose interest quick and quit. All old PVP people stop play! no more community.

3. When there no GCD that what make game AWESOME and different. Now that GCD here game like every game and no unique. It still great i know but no GCD what made game best over all other game.

No take my word just ask all great player that use PVP. Ask skimmy, ajejjeej, kellylita, hmmhmm,Xray, TSS, Fabio just name a few. They play long time and they know alot so I think they have a great say in GCD. I work so I tell you more later why GCD no good. But believe and trust what i say here because all truth. Bring PVP with just no multi if u want. Alot people miss! Also CTF use to be VERY FUN, but now it slow and no more fun
    Last edited by Seminole; 04-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ehem..so not true.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XRAX View Post

PvP was relatively well balanced before. 10-fold more than it is now. Every class had a more or less equal chance of killing the other class, given that you were skilled enough.
    What's the difference nitpicking who would win pregcd, if an average bear "annhilates" an average bird pregcd then you have agreed with my argument that classes were unbalanced even before? Especially if you claim that a bear can do it "any day of the week; no competition there" - how is that remotely balanced compared to the average dex mage now annihilating a bird, any day of the week, no competition there? Case in point, like I said before, favoritism has shifted from one class/build to another class/build.

Quote Originally Posted by skimmey View Post
    So I am really curious where the added challenge of playing more strategic is now? I would be really glad to hear a reason or and example which matchup is more strategic now.
    Apparently, having one-shot rounds pre-GCD wasn't considered strategic at all either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

@Seminole

1. Many people are angry because pvp is no longer just about speed. Prior to GCD, basically be quick or be dead. Now, you can be quick, and you can be strategic. Don't complain, adapt. I think it's more fun because I played pvp for strategy, not skill-spamming. Your definition of "skill vs. luck" isn't everyone else's definition.

2. It's been, what, a week? As far as I know the lv55 team tourney is still goin on or recently ended. I've seen plenty of pvp games since GCD. Many forest fights, some Rockwell forts CTF, an even a Alien Underground 5 on 5 (my favorite!) or two. If the GCD did drive some players away who were faster than everyone, it'll attract more who want to enjoy a fair pvp not dominated by having quick fingers.

3. I don't get this point at all. How does a skill system with individual-skill-cooldown make a game unique and different than all other games? PL is unique and is a groundbreaking mobile MMO, whose games and PVP takes place in various dungeons. The GCD was to make PVE and PVP better, not any more or less "unique."

P.S.- I think CTF is more fun now. It's easier to survive
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    @Seminole

1. Many people are angry because pvp is no longer just about speed. Prior to GCD, basically be quick or be dead. Now, you can be quick, and you can be strategic. Don't complain, adapt. I think it's more fun because I played pvp for strategy, not skill-spamming. Your definition of "skill vs. luck" isn't everyone else's definition.

2. It's been, what, a week? As far as I know the lv55 team tourney is still goin on or recently ended. I've seen plenty of pvp games since GCD. Many forest fights, some Rockwell forts CTF, an even a Alien Underground 5 on 5 (my favorite!) or two. If the GCD did drive some players away who were faster than everyone, it'll attract more who want to enjoy a fair pvp not dominated by having quick fingers.

3. I don't get this point at all. How does a skill system with individual-skill-cooldown make a game unique and different than all other games? PL is unique and is a groundbreaking mobile MMO, whose games and PVP takes place in various dungeons. The GCD was to make PVE and PVP better, not any more or less "unique."

P.S.- I think CTF is more fun now. It's easier to survive
    1. First off i not complaining. I using constructive crtitism and that what Dev want. you said i can be quick and strategic but how i see no way how i be that. I can no be quick because everyone same speed and no able to practice to improve that. I can no be strategic because all that happen is press a button then wait....press button then wait.... press button then wait...... It all luck now and THAT FACT! Before if I skill spam archer run back or repulse me then charge. Very different scenarios before GCD. Now it just meet head on press button and wait...... wait again...................wait again......Yay I dodged Drain life so i win

2. The level 55 tourney CANCELLED. No other tourney going on. No people getting together. IT people who like GCD against people who no like GCD... people new to pocket legend who do come in to play PL dont stay because it get boring fast. they leave fast.

Look at facts, less people play now, less people pvp now, NO CTF game at all. ONLY GAME I SAW YESTERDAY WAS WITH YOU IN GAME AND YOU KEEP DYING TO mage AND YOU WHINE WHINE WHINE. You said GCD make all unfair, you say that in the game!! You know there very little games when I join the only game i see and I remember that. FACT!!!!!

3. If you play other game they have GCD. But this game never had GCD before. That ONE OF REASONS it very unique. Yes game still great however......... before GCD someone could make a great argument and say that this game seperated it from all its competitors becasue NO GCD! Someone could say that and make it great point!! Now GCD make game like other games.
    Last edited by Seminole; 04-17-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's the difference nitpicking who would win pregcd, if an average bear "annhilates" an average bird pregcd then you have agreed with my argument that classes were unbalanced even before? Especially if you claim that a bear can do it "any day of the week; no competition there" - how is that remotely balanced compared to the average dex mage now annihilating a bird, any day of the week, no competition there? Case in point, like I said before, favoritism has shifted from one class/build to another class/build.

Apparently, having one-shot rounds pre-GCD wasn't considered strategic at all either.

Physiologic, you seem to be missing the point, and it is hard to have a to break it down for you when you have had close to zero pvp experience prior to the update. The point of pvp was not to be "average." The driving force of pvp, and the driving force behind competition and challenge is to become the best. This is psychology, and it can be very well explained with neuroscience. This is what kept players rooted to their devices prior to gcd, and in the arenas. An "average" player does not stay "average" pre gcd. There was a beautiful "S" shaped learning curve. I remember when I first started, I got my fair share of beat downs. This motivated me to practice, and invest in the arenas to get to where I am today. Same applies to other mages, birds, and bears I know that were distinguishable for the amateurs. With the current system in place, an "average" player has little room to grow. A complete newbie can enter the arena and perform at close to the same level now as he or she will down the line with experience. Before, you were able to see a qualitative difference in your playing style and skills over time; now, it has become one dimensional, with a limited scale. You can say what you will, and although I respect your educated opinions and respect what you are trying to do, unless you have had some form of actual experience with pvp before, these arguments won't mean anything to you. Again,

If there was clear "unbalance" prior to GCD, then explain to me why at least 95% of the pvp community is nostalgic over the old system? I agree that people don't like change, but this number exaggerates that statement. By now most people have already adapted the change and are ready to accept it and rise to the challenge. However, this is not the trend that we are observing within the pvp community. The old system WAS as balanced as it could be with 9 classes to chose from and all performing well in group games (given the time you put in). If anything, it was certainly more balanced than it is now, regardless of what you may have heard, rather than experienced. The only reason I devote my time in these posts, and to these discussions, is because I truly, truly care about this game, the pvp community, and the developers. Ill also assert over and over that I couldn't appreciate enough the hard work the devs have put in, and I hope these posts are viewed as constructive, and no other way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

@Seminole (because the posts are long)

What you say is "fact" is your opinion, which in fact is what many other players see as false. Here's some facts for you.

FACT- Because you get to use less skills, you should be more selective with the ones you use. That's... strategy!

FACT- Quickly pressing skills after they cooldown will speed up your damage output, so speed is still in play.

FACT- I was complaining about Dexmages being overpowered, until Parth helped me out a bit.

FACT- Many other games do not have a cooldown system across all skills. Some have a completely different system for battles. If it has a similar skill system, many have individual skill cooldowns, some have a GCD similar to this game, and yet others have a GCD that just resets the skills individually back to their individual cooldown time after you use one.

--

Oh ya and I'm not against you; I'm just pointing out that many people use their strong feeling as grounds for saying GCD is stupid. I'm enjoying the debate man
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 04-17-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    @Seminole (because the posts are long)

What you say is "fact" is your opinion, which in fact is what many other players see as false. Here's some facts for you.

FACT- Because you get to use less skills, you should be more selective with the ones you use. That's... strategy!

FACT- Quickly pressing skills after they cooldown will speed up your damage output, so speed is still in play.

FACT- I was complaining about Dexmages being overpowered, until Parth helped me out a bit.

FACT- Many other games do not have a cooldown system across all skills. Some have a completely different system for battles. If it has a similar skill system, many have individual skill cooldowns, some have a GCD similar to this game, and yet others have a GCD that just resets the skills individually back to their individual cooldown time after you use one.

--

Oh ya and I'm not against you; I'm just pointing out that many people use their strong feeling as grounds for saying GCD is stupid. I'm enjoying the debate man
    1. No first fact you say is debatable and is opinion. You say you need to be more selective but in FACT with only very few skills available that take no strategy. Battle are very obvious for example
    Bird Vs Bird------- you combo should be blast, root ,Blind......(takes no brain work and no strategy........blast because it 12m High damage,Root reduce dodge and do damage to target,Blind next highest damage and debuff target) all class combo so obvious now and easy. Like I say before(and gave examples)...without no GCD much more scenarios/option available

2. Wrong, cant quickly press skill anymore because of cooldown helloooooo, that what this argument all about!! All you do is wait for cooldown end then press again. That not speed that patience! Keeping finger onskill and waiting for GCD to end is not speed and the very little speed it requires hardly counts.

3. Just making point that there so very little game activity yesterday that I remember what happen in the only game up of the whole evening. Aint that sad!!

4. Just was stating point it it can be very easy to see that the set up without GCD was so much unique then way it is now. So many pop game have a GCD(warcraft) and this game not having was very unique
    Last edited by Seminole; 04-17-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with many of the things you say seminole, and nightarcher you make a few good points here and there. But, Lol nightarcher, I have seen you complain about GCD in game as well...not exaaactly sure what your intentions are, but at least try to be consistent .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Everybody just hug it out, and quit rehashing the same points over and over in this thread, for the love of god. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, and to sit and try to force someone else to accept your opinion of what you view is "right" is beyond idiotic.

Instead of whining in thread after thread, put together a clearly laid-out email or post and email the devs, instead of nagging each other in threads trying to convince the other person you are "right".

Some of you seem to have already made up your mind and are close-minded to any change. FAIL FAIL FAIL. Life is about adapting, improvising, overcoming...so instead of p***ing and moaning like juveniles, try mastering the new system instead of posting wave after wave of posts bemoaning your poor PvP life, and hopefully the devs make improvements along the way. There is constructive feedback, and there is whining which they do not like and generally ignore.

Again, I don't like GCD either....ruins the fun I had on the PvE side...but I posted a bunch of level-headed suggestions along with others that if they were going to keep it, try doing X...and guess what? The devs are trying to find a balance.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 04-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage