Thread: How to record video (ipad 2)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Did anyone get any further with this - Recording PL from your iPad2. I'm looking into this for recording PL & SL and have a possible solution but wanted ppl's input before spending lots of money. Jail-breaking isn't an option.

So far this is as far as I have got....

Ipad2 can definitely do HDMI out (not iPad1) but requires an apple adapter (see here for UK Apple Store version) and a HDMI lead...

This would allow screen mirroring so you can see your iPad2 on ur large flat screen TV/monitor, BUT there are a few issues. (I'm also thinking if it'll display on a TV why can't i record that signal on something?)

'Most' apps allow mirroring fine. Some apps (like pages) adopt a 'presentation' mode so the go full screen even if the app is not 'fullscreen' on the iPad2. This allows for presentation to be seen by the audience but the app on just the iPad2 has its controls available to the presenter. Finally some apps, in particular video streaming/rental ones, have a protection system in them called HDCP (see here) which protects copy righted material like movies from being streamed and recorded illegally.

This leaves me with a few questions;

Firstly and most importantly, is Pocket Legends HDCP protected on the HDMI output of an iPad2?
    Next, is there any devices out there which will allow the output to be recorded?

I've only found a few;
    Black Magic High Intensity but this MUST have USB3 as both a port and supported on your motherboard, or it doesn't work. FAIL for me as pricey and I have a macbook...
    Black Magic H.264 Pro Recorder great piece of kit. USB2, HDMI recorder, ticks all the boxes but ultra fail on the price... GULP
    Various other Component solutions. Also various video card (PC) options for HDMI input. Also found a VGA way but video quality is low and sound is handled separately and has various sync issues. None of this suit what i need.

So unless someone can come up with a better solution I'm still stuck at iPad2 > Apple adapter > HDMI cable > 42" TV and recording that screen using a camcorder/phone.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Redbridge; 08-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand