Thread: Putting Stat Ranges for Gear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

Default Putting Stat Ranges for Gear

MMOs usually have one of two systems for equipment stats.

1. Fixed (Each gear has same stats)
    2. Range (Gear stats have a minimum and maximum stat)

Right now AL is using fixed stats, so every Arcane ring is the same, every mythic armor has the same stats. That system, although simplistic, creates a conformity effect, where everyone has the same piece of gear and the only deviations would come from either expensive pet or gem choices.

The concept is like this. I loot a Magmatic Claymore. Ok, I'm done with gear unless I gem it or upgrade to a Bonesaw, Maul, etc. I am no longer a source of demand for weapons if I stick with Claymore. Now scale that to all endgamers with endgame gear. Elite Loot becomes less and less desirable as seasons go on, especially when there is no upgrade.

Another notable complaint. Players want new stuff. But not just newer stuff. Better stuff, obviously. (Thank you Egg-Shell).

Let's look at the Range stat system. To put it bluntly, each stat on a piece of gear is given a range (usually high ranges) such as:

300-400 DEX
    100-200 HP
    900-1100 Armor
    1.5%-2.00% Crit (in increments of 0.05% Crit, etc.)

*This can also apply to proc stats*

Those are just a few examples of stats, but one can already see the numerous possibilities for stats.

1. Players would strive for gear perfection.
    2. High demand for gear
    3. More diversity in auction

1. With the range system, there are no fixed values (except for minimum/maximum), so the gear stats would be very diverse. The system creates incentive for players to improve their stats continually until they are satisfied. Instead of looting gear, gemming, and sitting on it, players can actually move up. Now for arcane/mythic gear, the stat ranges can be more narrow than legendary gear. We wouldn't want players working their tails off for the weakest of all possibilities.

2. Demand for gear will always exist as players attempt to perfect their stats, so farmers can rejoice as the loot will always have some profit, depending on the desirability of the gear. The hunt for high stat gear will keep maps populated and friend lists alive.

3. At the moment, there is a pretty large gap between mythic/arcane and legendary gear. The range system can remedy this problem however. Since loot has varying stats, they in turn have varying values instead of one general price. The less desirable ones will be cheap and ideal as stepping stones for new endgamers, while the most coveted ones will command higher prices. At the least, gear prices will not depreciate as quickly with ranges.

As an MMO, the game is basically supposed to be a journery, one that continues on and on. The same can apply to gear. The range system allows for players to move up the ladder, rather than trying to jump to the top of the mountain.

IMPORTANT NOTE: With the range system, the Stat Values will have to be reevaluated in order to make the possibilities more practical and diverse. One can't get very far with 50 STR or something. This will be a lot of work for STG, so I can understand if it is not feasible to revamp the system.

Other suggestions I have:

Potion-Cooldowns

In the current state of the game, tanks are no longer viable for successful and fast runs. That is a depressing thought, considering Elite is primarily segregated to rogues and a handful of mages. Potion cooldowns would basically eliminate potion spamming and create a sense of caution. Players would all need to coordinate attacks instead of spamming mindlessly. Tanks would be viable. Heal skills would be even more viable. Pets with healing bonuses would be desired.

Legendary Crafting Materials

IMO, the market for Elite equipment is deteriorating simply because it is over-saturated. Too much supply and not enough demand. The range system can ease with the saturation, but is price plummeting is inevitable. There has to be a way to take items out of game, like gold sinks. Call them 'item sinks' (work on name later)

The idea is to allow for legendary items and above to be salvageable, meaning one can destroy them for resources. These resources can be used in any future equipment STG wishes incorporate and will take out the items out of game.

Legendary materials can be restricted to elite equipment (we don't want loads of conquistador to be used!). So as a result, players are confronted with choices: Use the gear, sell the gear, or salvage the gear.

And again, demand will be created and value will be preserved from this as the legendary materials will be necessary for crafting.

Thanks for reading! Feedback is always welcome
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Ok my feedback!

I would love to see the Gear range but applied only to items we can get through farming. I don't want to gamble on crates and if am lucky enough to loot a mythic or arcane item still have to be lucky enough for it to have the best stats of it's class. Too many luck factors there in my opinion.

Potion cooldowns. Lol i like this idea. No more 4 rogues parties.

I am not sure about the legendary crafting materials i think it's too complex for AL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I like everything except potions cooldown, a tank can't always heal everyone at the right moment. I say no to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First off no to ur cool down time ._. Rouges need that when they can't find a tank and we going to die sometimes I can't even spam enough to keep me going .... And pots are a lot cheaper then anhk I can't keep buying a steady stream of kits but I can get enough pots to keep me from losing my mind in a map

I am a rouge <3 rouge legends! Ps my name is manicures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ladysophie View Post
    Ok my feedback!

I would love to see the Gear range but applied only to items we can get through farming. I don't want to gamble on crates and if am lucky enough to loot a mythic or arcane item still have to be lucky enough for it to have the best stats of it's class. Too many luck factors there in my opinion.

Potion cooldowns. Lol i like this idea. No more 4 rogues parties.

I am not sure about the legendary crafting materials i think it's too complex for AL.
    I thought about that for the crate mythics/arcanes. Farmables are fine, but the plat-necessary ones are an issue. If you give them fixed stats, people will complain if they're inferior to range stat farmable gear, so they have to be superior.

IMO: The mythic/arcane gear should be given narrow stat ranges. Instead of 100-200 Health, it would be like 150-200. Not too big of a range, but not too small.

Either way, the stat values will have to be reworked so that the weakest of mythics would still be more powerful than the strongest legendary and the weakest arcane will be more powerful than the strongest mythic.

About the legendary crafting material. I don't think it's too far-fetched. We already have some extensive crafting recipes in game at the moment. But the suggestion was mostly directed to preserving the long-term value of Elite items. We all know that expansions will be farther apart (look at Pocket Legends) so there should be ways to avoid gear saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by Magegrimm View Post
    I like everything except potions cooldown, a tank can't always heal everyone at the right moment. I say no to that.
    Yes, a tank cannot heal everyone at the right time... As of now. AL right now consists of maps where enemies can KO a player. Needless to say, that's not very fun. With potion cooldowns, the Elite difficulty can be adjusted to compensate.

I want there to be less reliance on potion-spamming. There's no skill in that, IMO. All you need is a finger and fast internet. Good teamwork and coordination should be the deciding factors in successful runs.

On a similar note, all rogue parties would require more ankh-spending as well. Potion cooldowns would encourage adding a tank to keep party members alive.

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

something to be wary of is scamming in trades
    people can get 2 (one weak one strong) show the strong then switch to the weak...
    This will be far harder to notice for a player than blinky blight, and can happen at any time...
    however and this can be avoided by player caution of ranking the gear accordingly to the ranges and putting an icon in front that represents the gear level

That said I love the idea, I have hated being stuck with my stats and the only way to improve them is to buy para, eyes (slight improvement) or fork over 2-9m for a better item for a huge improvement.

Caabatric. The one nub sorcerer you wont forget.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caabatric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caabatric View Post
    something to be wary of is scamming in trades
    people can get 2 (one weak one strong) show the strong then switch to the weak...
    This will be far harder to notice for a player than blinky blight, and can happen at any time...
    however and this can be avoided by player caution of ranking the gear accordingly to the ranges and putting an icon in front that represents the gear level

That said I love the idea, I have hated being stuck with my stats and the only way to improve them is to buy para, eyes (slight improvement) or fork over 2-9m for a better item for a huge improvement.
    Good point with the scamming problems. Maybe implement a more extensive confirmation button? Like a checklist for the player to manually click on to approve of each stat?

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Ok that stat range idea, one of the best ideas i've seen. This would revolutonize AL, bring back a lot of spunk into this game.
    +1000
    pls devs read this well. Personally, such a system would make farming much more fun for me

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Except form the potion cooldown thing, I agree on everything.

Great insight Ebe!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

80% of the time I play the game solo, regardless of which class character I'm doing at the time. Would really hate to have restrictions on my potion usage since that is the only thing keeping me alive in some of these maps.

I thought the main selling point was that we could play the game 'anytime, anywhere', which in my case means a lot of quick sessions on my mobile devices while waiting on trains/buses etc. Don't have time to rustle up a party of random strangers just to run a map, 8^).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Good idea random stats , gear upgrade and so on. The problem isn't the gears or the stats it's obtaining it. Only small amount of population has imbued , arcane ring and pendent. Farming isn't the problem it's just too hard for most ppl. They can do planar and arena if they invest in ankh and buffs but most won't cause gold is pretty hard to come by atm. Others plain lazy and too dependent on others to get the job done.
    About the potion cooldown really bad idea, I don't think I need to explain why. Somuch issues going on and your trying to fix something isn't broken.
    Last edited by Trojan2100; 06-22-2015 at 09:20 AM.