Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Inappropriate chat, auto-muting, and auto-banning

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #41
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,484 Posts

We're taking all of this into consideration when implementing. I'm not going to reveal the banned wordlist, but it just a few words on it. When in doubt, we'll prefer filtering to muting, and muting to banning.

Thanks for the feedback.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks asommers. I was worried for a moment reading this thread. Im not naive but I have no idea what p oh oh n. Means. I've never seen it. A good filter is preferred to a good banning system. Ban are necessary but not good when over used. Stopping the problem of foul language will keep parents happy and reserve bans for those who take time and effort to think of ways to get around the filters. Autocorrect is a big factor as well as asian, Hispanic, french and other players who speak a different language. Keep up the hard work guys. And thanks again.
    Charmonda: He started dancing on me and so I started dancing on him. You now how we do:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

asommers....the voice of reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1 problem there ALS what if a friend/brother or even someone hacks your account and says these Inst - ban phrases/words??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I can see why pl is searching an alt root, some players make a point to be offensive.. Yet i am carful but, spell check does not like noob... And many ither basic words, inclusive of the basterd sword and so on, though i am sure this is an on going issue, it seems that names that have been allowed to be created with sub spellings etc. Can be very offensive as well.

I am assuming the auto ban will occure with lewd and gross conduct ( much like the justice system levels) this behavior i woukd without queztion be all for perma instant ban..

There is a BIG diffrence from an occasional word or accidental spell check error, that for those who run around making a serious effort to swear and ignorance...

Somone here metnioned in game moderators nice idea as well. Perhapse using a locked forum for communications, somtimes one player will be able to reach an offender better than another, with select pool of players who are able to problem solvealong with diffrent points of view and ways of speaking it seems many young ( i say young because at some point swearing and sexual comments are cool due to a youth feeling they are older") adopting a group of players to work with advise and guide is not such a bad thought process, as reaching these youth goes beyond simple game play but dabbles into their real life view points.
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LADYHADASSA View Post
    I can see why pl is searching an alt root, some players make a point to be offensive.. Yet i am carful but, spell check does not like noob... And many ither basic words, inclusive of the basterd sword and so on, though i am sure this is an on going issue, it seems that names that have been allowed to be created with sub spellings etc. Can be very offensive as well.

I am assuming the auto ban will occure with lewd and gross conduct ( much like the justice system levels) this behavior i woukd without queztion be all for perma instant ban..

There is a BIG diffrence from an occasional word or accidental spell check error, that for those who run around making a serious effort to swear and ignorance...

Somone here metnioned in game moderators nice idea as well. Perhapse using a locked forum for communications, somtimes one player will be able to reach an offender better than another, with select pool of players who are able to problem solvealong with diffrent points of view and ways of speaking it seems many young ( i say young because at some point swearing and sexual comments are cool due to a youth feeling they are older") adopting a group of players to work with advise and guide is not such a bad thought process, as reaching these youth goes beyond simple game play but dabbles into their real life view points.
    Please excuse the various spelling errors and typos.. Being a pl addict i decided that i did not need sleep last night... And at the moment am way to lazy to even try to fix....
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Scary at best. Pray that there's a list; until now I didn't know I was being nsta-mute when I typed Crush The Keeper. Thought it was just a typo problem. And there are times when I'm busy with one PPL and can't respond to someone else talking to me; and after I'm done, I'll ask the other player to "say again". Hadn't been banned so far, but this one is on a need to know bases. Please give us a list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colborne View Post
    I just need to know if this is gonna affect private games. Cause I host games for me and my friends to chat on and I don't think we should be banned or muted if we are not offending anyone. If it's a private game then only friends are there and most of my friends arnt so clean with their talk. Anyways just wondering how this is gonna affect tht. Also was wondering if there is a lost of these words that we as players can see and hopefully try to avaid using
    Doesn't matter. It'll affect everything.
    Stuck in the game? Don't know what to do? Try this new awesome section on the forums which contains guides created by players to address various game issues. Click HERE to go to it! You can also use the nifty SEARCH feature on these forums to find your answer as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Just saw this...

FINALLY!!!! Hopefully this will be great!!!

although... there are 1000000000000000000000000 ways to get around the filters....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dnno...I'm all for policing people in public forms of communications..but what I say to friends I think should have some consideration. Yes it's nice to not have to worry about having Simone abuse you in tells...but it is also nice to be able to tell your friends what ya really think about something sometimes also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I love this- forest haven will be safe again. I will have to watch myswlf tho- i dont swear like a sailor but ocasionally ill say daayuum in a pm or if something goes wrong. Not at people.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just feel that this will gets many people banned for no reason at all. Words are form from many factors. One very important factors are language used. Please do understand that not all players can conversate in english. Mother language are often used too. Second factor is national differences. Some words that are normal to us may be offensive to you, and we will not be able to know which are those words or phrases that are in this case. So due to this, it will become an unfair treatment to those who didnt know. So in short my suggestion is, people should report instead of an auto ban being implemented.

Why am i being concern about this is because there are many words being filtered in games are definately very normal to us. I do not mean seperated words. For example, jap is filtered but why? Its just a short form for japanese. And also words like sexy are also being filtered. In my country at least, the word sexy is not an offensive word neither is it totally a sexual related word (depending on how the word is being used). So this is my explanation of why i do not support this auto mute and ban to be implemented.
    Last edited by Skyler84; 04-21-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet it will get a nice work out for a while. I swear, some of these kiddies just want to be banned. I've seen multiple times, people in the CS just swearing and bulking other players and telling people to report them cause they say nothing will happen to them. I always message them to chill with the cursing before obliging them and hitting the report button, but never know if anything ever really happened to them. I'm hoping when this in place, it will remind them that there are rules and part of the game is not to see if you can be banned. Thanks DEVs for making the game a bit more friendly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find the perm ban for saying a bad word quite ridiculous, i understand a week then a month etc but a straight forward perm ban for saying a bad word...... It may even be a mistype.... Like when ppl say sex in pvp when they mean sec. This will be a great downfall in my eyes.....And if we dont even know what the bad words are well......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly I think this idea is a bit unfair. The reason being that when you string words together you often end up making words you didnt mean to make. For instance: Cru->sh T<-he Keeper. Etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyrokz View Post
    Honestly I think this idea is a bit unfair. The reason being that when you string words together you often end up making words you didnt mean to make. For instance: Cru->sh T<-he Keeper. Etc...
    Exactly. I'm constantly getting censored for this type of thing. I have to remember to say "tap it" instead of "push it" and "would like it" instead of "wish it". It would suck if I got muted or banned for such a thing. But I understand it's hard and people can get around censoring by doing clever things like "F_R_A_K YOU!" I almost wonder if an auto-mute ought to occur when some presses the report button on someone. If it's abused, then the abuser ought to get a consequence, but used appropriately, it would silence the bad offenders quicker than waiting for STS staff to respond.

Skyler84, I'm not sure if your question was rhetorical or not, but in America, "Jap" has racist connotations. I don't think it's as bad as other racist words we've invented, but still. Although Japanese-American sure is hard to type on an iPhone.

I'm reminded of a joke my son likes. "What word starts with 'f' and ends with 'uck'?

"Firetruck!!! What were YOU thinking?"
    Last edited by JemNI; 04-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    PL: Jemnus - Lvl 54 Archer; Nasoji - Lvl 54 Enchanter; CaptainUrsa - Lvl 35 Bear;
    AL: Jemnidad - Lvl 30 Sorceror; Starkazm - Lvl 13 Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Please ban for asking "Are you a girl?" I'm so tired of that, i instantly un-friend anyone that says that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks JemNI for explaining to me regarding the word jap and seriously i didnt know it has racist connotation until you mention. Therefore this futhur proves my point. Because this game is played by many people from different countries and will definately face different understandings on particular word and phrases. Therefore auto banning or muting is not a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe its a good idea. It is more feeling of roleplaygaming.

But if i dont like the words or spam of a person i can ignore him, and keep my feeling
    Kulangath - 56 Evil Sorcerer -
    Gear: Ench Staff Set ** PvP rocks! Beginners are welcome **
    Max Potions: 9999 / 9999

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just one question... Isn't there already a chat filter? And since we have the option to turn it off I'm sure that having an autoban is a bad idea. If we don't want to see swears or bad language that's what the filter is there for. Also I believe alot of accounts will be banned as a mistake of misstyping or filter problems, don't we also have freedom of speech, isn't this somehow against that. And what if you have bought alot of platinum and you accidentally say a word that gets you banned.

This will be my point of quitting, I believe they have already messed things up with gcd and if they add this auto ban chat filter I'll feel even more restricted then we already are.
    STS - please don't add this, I know you want to keep younger kids and the community safe and so do I, but update the filters, don't add muting and permanent bans