Thread: Hit Rate Cap - do we need 100% hit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Hit Rate Cap - do we need 100% hit?

I was reading Physiologic's Advanced Mechanic's Guide, which concludes that even with above 100% hit rate on the character sheet, the actual hit rate appears to be capped at about 85%. My question is, do we know whether we even need 100% hit rate to meet the 85% cap?

For example, is a character showing a 95% hit rate also capped at 85%? How about a character showing a 90% hit rate? If so, is there any reason to bring your hit rate to 100% (for PvE), or should we just make sure it's at 85% and then go for other stat eq?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't think anyone knows the specifics about hit% other then the devs, however I seem to hit alot times on my bird then on my lvl 55 Pally ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I went from 85+ hit to 90+ hit and noticed a big difference in me being able to land spells, I don't know why, but I've just noticed it hitting a lot more.

You probably need over 100% Hit to actually get the 85% cap? And when you have lower hit, the cap goes down proportionately? Just guessing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Well idk. My Mage has over 100% hit and I barely miss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    You probably need over 100% Hit to actually get the 85% cap? And when you have lower hit, the cap goes down proportionately? Just guessing.
    This is my guess too. From Physiologic's guide, there is no mathmatical difference in 126% hit and 160% hit (both about 85% actual hit rate), so there's definitely a cap. 126% was the lowest he tested, though, so I wonder if 100% hits the cap (which sounds logical), or something between 100 and 126 (110, 115 or 120, perhaps). For now, I think I will just make sure my mage has 100% hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I went from 85+ hit to 90+ hit and noticed a big difference in me being able to land spells, I don't know why, but I've just noticed it hitting a lot more.

Yeah, I noticed that on the bear, as soon as hit dropped below 90, Taunt and especially Beckon started missing....not a lot, but enough to notice if you were looking. Dropping below 85 made it even more noticeable, as the enemy dodge score starts becoming more and more of a factor.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that on the bear, as soon as hit dropped below 90, Taunt and especially Beckon started missing....not a lot, but enough to notice if you were looking. Dropping below 85 made it even more noticeable, as the enemy dodge score starts becoming more and more of a factor.
    Yup yup, so rule of thumb for a bear now, never get below 90 hit

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How I think it works if my math is right. (and it always is) Basically your hit percent goes against another person's dodge rate when you attack so if you have a 115 hit% and the guy your attacking has a 45 dodge then you would have a 70% hit chance on them.
    Forget California girls, Joysey girls are where it's at!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ersana View Post
    How I think it works if my math is right. (and it always is) Basically your hit percent goes against another person's dodge rate when you attack so if you have a 115 hit% and the guy your attacking has a 45 dodge then you would have a 70% hit chance on them.
    I am not sure if it quite works this way, there is a series of rolls in sequence that go on, I think Phys had a post somewhere where he had sorta figured it out....it took hit chance, dodge chance, crit chance, etc into account and they are in a certain order. But you could totally be right. Maybe he will see this, or someone else who knows.

I think I read somewhere that hit% is capped at 100 anyway in reality, so if you are right, it wouldn't matter if your hit was 103% or 152% going against an enemy with 45 dodge, your real hit chance would still be 55% from my understanding.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ersana View Post
    Also posted elsewhere is that dodge is not a true % so it also messes up the logic. Ie with 100 dodge you can still be hit. They said for whatever reason 100 dodge is not 100%

Although, I love your math confidence.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Does your miss come up above your head or your enemys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Enemies. Miss over your head means they missed you