Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Auto Mutes and Auto Bans for Offensive or Vulgar Chat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qildien View Post
    I've added 4 mild and fictional vulgarities to the wiki so far. So not to worry, Folks! If STS continues to be obstinate and won't give us a master list then we can make our own for everyone to look at on the wiki page. Devs your puritanical attitude is laughable. Should we all go watch fox news, carry our bibles in a holster, and praise Jesus that you, STS, are a part of the moral minority who protects us all from ourselves? Get a clue.
    Cool story bro. Pompous much?

If you can't handle not cussing in a game (and I am ex-military and can cuss with the best of them), then you have issues.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I found out you can't say' cute little bug*ers. Needs tweaked a bit. I never swear in games but got muted for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avgen View Post
    I think we all know that there is a very big difference between the vocabularies we use with different people. When going for a job interview we use a certain level of politeness and restriction in the things we say. Between friends at the bar having a beer, we use another vocabulary and it all depends on the relationship you have with the person/s you're talking to.

I can definitely hold my tongue and change vocabularies in public areas of the game but when I'm in a locked private game with a friend I know well or if I'm PMing a friend I don't want to be restricted in my use of vocabulary. The silliest words are muted and then your friend thinks you're being a prick, or you miss out on a deal because you can't communicated a single word for 5mins. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The system should be pretty simple, anyone on your friends list can be communicated with without muting, in PM. I'd be completely happy with that.
    I totally agree. Filter should be made for people who have no choice but to see the chat... eg in Balefort CS area.
    But friends? I got muted and had to log off since I Couldn't talk anymore. I can't just emote to communicate can i? or sign language? I later returned and my friend thought I left the game and didn't come back for some time.
    We were going to farm some strategies.
    Unfortunate much, this issue.
    He thought I left without a word....
    Last edited by Cloudiz; 05-20-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

SOLUTION: Make the mute annoncement public so your friends know why youre silent.
    Last edited by Mothwing; 05-22-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mothwing View Post
    SOLUTION: Make the mute annoncement public so your friends now why youre silent.
    exactly

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

-facepalm- i spelled know wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't find a reason in the OP for this update. It makes sense to have a filter for kids, but auto bans even for PMs to friends makes no sense. Ofc pms to "friends" could be you cussing out a kid, but even then, the kid should get filter "protected" and can report you to support. I never remember Townes being full of swearing anyway.... Yea so there were occasional tools that went out of their way to Troll and mouth off everyone, but those guys mostly got banned by people emailing support.

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    We value our customers tremendously. We know that this system will need some tweaking, as ALS outlines above. Also, we feel strongly, for example, that some jerk should not be able to make a free account, log into Forest Haven and start spouting filth and directly impacting our other customers play experience.
    In this case, the filter system would work fine to prevent people seeing filth he types, no? Without the added effect of muting long time users when they type "dex" and apple corrects it -.-"
    Last edited by joeychandler; 05-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default Brand new HTC Flyer

Was using this awesome machine to play and on the first day got muted!! Since early February I have been playing and have never been muted.

LOL...really funny now with hindsight. A person asked about building his bird, where to place his stats, dex or str, and so I answered with "dex is best for a bird". Or so i thought. Funny thing is when u switch to a new device not all your normally saved in game words or abreviations are carried over. Dex was replaced with...well starts with...and I did not even think to proof my comment. Hit send and Lo and behold: you have been muted for 5 minutes, any further violations and you can be banned.

Boy was I mad at the moment because I was trying to do a good thing. I am more careful now, but just the just the same, if the comment was considered in whole it made perfect sense, the word by itself...yes I fully agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand everyone's frustrations with this, really, I do. Especially with words that may not seem vulgar at all.
    However, you have to keep in mind that people from all over the world from a myriad of different age groups play this game on a daily basis.
    Some are nicer than others and some are more conscientious about their language than others.

In my honest opinion, I feel that the Devs did this to free up the need for the chatboards to be constantly monitored by a human.
    It makes perfect sense to me. why spend money on a human Moderator when the servers can do it for them?

There's one very simple solution to the worry of being auto-muted. If its in any way questionable as to whether or not what you type can be construed as vulgar, then its probably best NOT to type it. Like the saying goes, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by kaijustorm; 07-25-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typos
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55865&dateline=131140  7718
    IGN:kaijustorm(lvl 30 pure Avian archer) Satchemow(lvl 17 Ursan Tank) Jimmychips(lvl 14 DexMage)

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

the system is good. Prevents trolls from going too far, keeps people behaved, and thrash talk (something i'm never into, being a counter-troll and all ) is not really necessary in-game anyways.
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

ok it's a good idea, but i got muted the other day for my autocorrect changing a word in the middle of a trade. Is there anyway that if your team sees this they can unmute someone if it wasn't their fault??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think I got muted for using the term "wow". Perhaps I wasn't supposed to tell another player what game I was playing? I logged back in after 6 months and had no idea what the heck I did wrong. Certainly didn't swear or anything. Was just having a conversation with another player about my droid antenna, my sword and that I hadn't been on in 6 months.

Good to see there is a system in place but again I'm not sure what I said wrong. No system is perfect though.
    PL acct 4/7/10 - Setec Lvl 52 STR Bear | SL acct 8/29/11 - Setec Lvl 10 Commando | DL acct created 9/16/12 - Setec Lvl 17 Male | AL acct 3/28/13 - Setec Lvl 9 Warrior | iOS 8 on iPad Mini 2/iPhone 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this auto **** stuff is idiotic. Who programmed it. I say dumb stuff like where do you want to go now, and all the sudden half of it is bleeped out. learn how to program.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I came across a huge over sight.. I was playing PvP and I use the word noob a lot. Not as an offensive name or anything, but noob autocorrects to boob on my iPod.. And it immediately mutes me.. It's been driving me nuts! Also, there have been quite a few random mutes on me, even if I haven't been saying anything..
    What's the issue here?
    Lvl54 (Dextress) ZeUbermensch / Lvl26 (Dex Bird) Goddemigod / Lvl 23(Dex Bear) Rancorr / Lvl 22 (Pally) Shurpukishpu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Would the devs consider a system like this:

Instead of an auto-mute, take the words that are on the mute list, and anytime someone tries to use one of these words, just dont let the msg go through and display something on screen like "1/3 warnings for saying xxxxxx". That way, your getting the point across (which is dont use that word or face punishment), your complety removing this word from the innocent 8-14 yr olds who shouldnt think, foul language is ok, and youre not muting someone who could have accidentally put in a bad word.

For the words on the autoban list, block the word like suggested above, and then mute for a longer period of time (10-30 mins or even an hour, and only have the timer count down while the character is logged in). 3 strikes and then ban. It just seems to me that an auto ban, even for really heinous words, is a little extreme, especially when we are all typing on tiny keyboards that are easy to typo on.

Does anyone else feel this system would work well? I have tons of respect for all the developers of this game, you have all done a great job, and i just want you all to know the community as a whole says thank you. Would you consider looking into a system like this? I know it would mean more coding, but a switch to this from the current system shouldnt be too bad.

Also, you'd be finding an excellent middle ground/compromise between the players who like the system the way it is, and the ones who are unhappy and have voiced that unhappyiness (there are lots of people on both sides of the fence here - this solution would make everyone happy). I hope i didnt offend the devs by presuming i knew a better way to do this than they do - its merely a suggestion.

One more quick thing, swearing should be filtered if you have your filter on in a private game, but should not be mutable. Thats why the game is private! Its 'behind closed doors" so to speak.

Thank you in advance if a dev chooses to reply to this thread. I truly think this is a solid middle ground and would keep the language in the game very clean. If you dont choose to reply, please think/talk it over with the team, you may find you like this idea =)

Thanks for taking the time to listen to another rant!
    o_O
    O_o
    o_O IGN: Gotrocks/Gotstorms/Gotguns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am sure this has been brought up before, I do not think auto-mutes are the way to go in any mmo. If someone says something like S*X just make it so the text does not appear to the public and the game sends a message saying why it was not. Because with smartphones theses days the Auto-Correct function can be very nice but it can also be very very annoying.
    For example, "Hey Spektic what's your Dex lv?" but instead it says "Hey Spektic what's your _ _ _ lv?" I am not trying to be vulgar but I get muted for 5 min yes its 5 min but it is not right.
    Check out my YouTube Channel if you got the time:SamKimTV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

It's kinda dumb cuz one of my character's name is: hero titan and when ever i tell someone to add the name, it always shows up as hero***an.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeubermensch View Post
    I came across a huge over sight.. I was playing PvP and I use the word noob a lot. Not as an offensive name or anything, but noob autocorrects to boob on my iPod.. And it immediately mutes me.. It's been driving me nuts! Also, there have been quite a few random mutes on me, even if I haven't been saying anything..
    What's the issue here?
    lol this happens to me all the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like alot of people dislike this update, I haven't had a issue with it yet. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me eather just don't cuse & watch your auto spell!