Thanked in
    6 Posts

LES all the way, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Junside View Post
    OMFG HALAL is the MOST EPIC FOOD EVER! Lamb over rice FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't forget we gotta chill bro. How old are you by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by DaiJue View Post
    Oh one more thing... if it's late at night and you're bored you can go to Times Square for people-watching. There are plenty of lost European tourists and the stores in this area don't close until 1am~2am in the morning.

*Edit*
    And buy a 30-day unlimited Metro Card. It's good for both Subway and Buses. It's $104 but it's worth it if you ride at least 2 times a day.
    I will eventually, I'm going to try and make a little extra money by selling things I have around the house that I'm not taking. Which turns out to be a ton of stuff actually.

What is "Yelp!"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    How old are you, are you a homeowner/do you ever want to be one in the near future, and what is the highest educational degree you have attained?

With the answers to these 3 simple questions I will tell you if it is advisable to live in New York, strictly at a financial standpoint.
    No, I' not a homeowner and I don't want to be one.
    I just have my Highschool Diploma, I would like to pursue Culinary eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I'm 20 and I guess we're pretty much in the same situation. I got a bunk bed but my parents aren't chill like that. :/ What a waste.

Just pm me and I'll provide a cell number if you need anything. Best to have some contacts when going somewhere new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Caccavari View Post
    What is "Yelp!"?
    You can Yelp to find good restaurants, nightlife, and local events. A lot of non New Yorkers use it to meet people to hang out and stuff.
    Daijue - Level 51 Archer | Minyeungjai - Level 52 Enchantress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 20 and I guess we're pretty much in the same situation. I got a bunk bed but my parents aren't chill like that. :/ What a waste.

Just pm me and I'll provide a cell number if you need anything. Best to have some contacts when going somewhere new.
    No point in having a bunk bed then, haha.
    Alright, I will closer to the time of leaving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can Yelp to find good restaurants, nightlife, and local events. A lot of non New Yorkers use it to meet people to hang out and stuff.
    Alright, I'll give it a test soon.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

No, I' not a homeowner and I don't want to be one.
    I just have my Highschool Diploma, I would like to pursue Culinary eventually.
    Without strong connections and/or a college degree you may have trouble finding a job in the metropolitan area that pays well enough to have you live comfortably for a a reasonable amount of time (around 1-2 years+). And by living comfortably, I mean having a good quality of life - finding a good, clean, roomy place to live, eating well, not working overtime, having enough cash to pay rent/bills/insurance, having cash to go out, etc. As you know, the economy is very craptastic at the moment so securing an average-paying job ($30/hr+) BEFORE going into the city would be a much better idea. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a HS diploma, though, so you may want to consider pursuing your culinary degree/certification before dropping cash (if you have enough capital from yourself or your family) into living in the city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I pay 600 a month for my 1200 square foot house with 1200 square foot basement and 2 acres bordered by a creek. Someone would have to pay me 700 a month to live in that rat hole. Triple that to live in new York.
    Charmonda: He started dancing on me and so I started dancing on him. You now how we do:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Without strong connections and/or a college degree you may have trouble finding a job in the metropolitan area that pays well enough to have you live comfortably for a a reasonable amount of time (around 1-2 years+). And by living comfortably, I mean having a good quality of life - finding a good, clean, roomy place to live, eating well, not working overtime, having enough cash to pay rent/bills/insurance, having cash to go out, etc. As you know, the economy is very craptastic at the moment so securing an average-paying job ($30/hr+) BEFORE going into the city would be a much better idea. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a HS diploma, though, so you may want to consider pursuing your culinary degree/certification before dropping cash (if you have enough capital from yourself or your family) into living in the city.
    My decision may not be the best if I make the move right away but I'm young, I'd like to explore the city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should get your degree first. What are you going to do in New York? You going to study and work? You are still young when you're done with your study (22-24). After you done with your study, you can still go to New York and if things don't work out, you still have your degree. Man, I wish an average pay job would be in the $30 range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My decision may not be the best if I make the move right away but I'm young, I'd like to explore the city.
    Do you plan to move to NYC permanently or you just want to enjoy life for a little while? We can help you plan things out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benaorn View Post
    Man, I wish an average pay job would be in the $30 range.
    $30+ an hour ONLY if you work for the big banks here in NYC (finance or IT field). Most jobs' starting salary is around $15-$20 an hour, depending on the industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you plan to move to NYC permanently or you just want to enjoy life for a little while? We can help you plan things out.
    To be honest, I want to go for about a year to try it out. If it's not to my liking, I'll be going somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

When you're young it's easy to kind of just live on top ramen and bologna, crash on couches, etc. I did that when I was young and moved out to Hawaii. It was awesome, BUT (and this is a huge but) I WISH I had finished my schooling when I was younger. It is always harder to go back to school when you're older and if you can just knock it out now it may seem like 2 years is forever but it is really a super short amount of time.

If you want a career that is lucrative and relatively short you might want to look into dental hygiene, x-ray technician, respiratory tech or even registered nursing (you can get an associate's degree in nursing). Health careers are always growing and you can move ANYWHERE with those careers.

If culinary arts is your passion and school isn't an option right now try at least working as a sous chef for a bit before moving so you have a reference and experience before going on a job hunt.

I understand the urge to jump around and travel while you're still young but think of it this way...if you do two years of school right now you'll be able to move to NYC with a career that allows you to make $5,000-$7,000 a month (or more with dental hygiene), which will allow you to get your own place RIGHT when you're old enough to go to the local bars/clubs. It's nice having your own place to go back to when you're out meeting people at the clubs *wink, wink*.
    Last edited by Pandamoni; 04-26-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: horrible grammar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    When you're young it's easy to kind of just live on top ramen and bologna, crash on couches, etc. I did that when I was young and moved out to Hawaii. It was awesome, BUT (and this is a huge but) I WISH I had finished my schooling when I was younger. It is always harder to go back to school when you're older and if you can just knock it out now it may seem like 2 years is forever but it is really a super short amount of time.

If you want a career that is lucrative and relatively short you might want to look into dental hygiene, x-ray technician, respiratory tech or even registered nursing (you can get an associate's degree in nursing). Health careers are always growing and you can move ANYWHERE with those careers.

If culinary arts is your passion and school isn't an option right now try at least working as a sous chef for a bit before moving so you have a reference and experience before going on a job hunt.

I understand the urge to jump around and travel while you're still young but think of it this way...if you do two years of school right now you'll be able to move to NYC with a career that allows you to make $5,000-$7,000 a month (or more with dental hygiene), which will allow you to get your own place RIGHT when you're old enough to go to the local bars/clubs. It's nice having your own place to go back to when you're out meeting people at the clubs *wink, wink*.
    This guy knows what he's talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post

Thanks for the advice, I can see you put some thought into it.

I see the benefits of going to school now and getting my degree. The only thing stopping me is the urge to go to New York NOW. I know the risks of being poor (probably dirt poor and barely making it) but I'm willing to take that risk. It's going to be tough for a while but it'll be a great experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

People will warn against taking a risk like this but a part of me says what good is life if you never get to do the stuff you want to?

Maybe he really wants to go to NY. I won't argue against recommending to finish schooling first.

But we always feel better doing what we want to do. Maybe he's willing to accept all his responsibilities if something goes wrong or gets difficult. Maybe it's a search for independence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I can see you put some thought into it.

I see the benefits of going to school now and getting my degree. The only thing stopping me is the urge to go to New York NOW. I know the risks of being poor (probably dirt poor and barely making it) but I'm willing to take that risk. It's going to be tough for a while but it'll be a great experience.
    lol, I totally understand. Oh, and don't forget to do your fafsa. Go to FAFSA.ed.gov and you can fill out your fafsa and check that you're interested in work study. Depending on how much your family makes, how many live in your household, etc, you might qualify for cash aid to go to school and you might even be able to get a job at the school you go to. How cool would it be to go to school in NY, get paid to go to school AND work at the school you're attending?

I run the career center at a continuation high school so if you have any ???'s feel free to ask

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

People will warn against taking a risk like this but a part of me says what good is life if you never get to do the stuff you want to?

Maybe he really wants to go to NY. I won't argue against recommending to finish schooling first.

But we always feel better doing what we want to do. Maybe he's willing to accept all his responsibilities if something goes wrong or gets difficult. Maybe it's a search for independence.

I think he should go to school in New York That would be cool!