Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Quit Pretending We Know What We''re Talking About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Default Let's Quit Pretending We Know What We''re Talking About

It's great to be concerned whether STS is making a profit or not, but the fact is few, if any, of us has any clue about the actual financial status of STS. All we know for certain is that STS is currently operating. THATS IT!

STS is a private company and they have never, to my knowledge, publicly released any kind of financial information whatsoever. I seriously doubt that will change anytime soon. WE HAVE NO HARD FINANCIAL NUMBERS TO DISCUSS. ZIPPO. ZILCH. NADA.

A lot of recent discussion has centered on the radical change in the prices of most mythic and arcane items. It is good that STS knows how it's players feel about the changes, but we need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking we know whether the change is good or not. Most players clearly feel positive about the change, but we don't know whether it is good or bad for STS' bottom line.

Facts and Observations

• The state of the Arcane Legends economy is not necessarily a reflection of STS' profits.
    • STS changed the pricing model for Arcane Legends. As before, it is a mix of Free to Play and Pay to Play. Only STS knows what the real ratio is. We can only guess, we don't actually know.
    • We also can only guess why STS changed model mix. There are a number of possible motives, but most likely it was to protect their interests. They are interested in keeping Arcane Legends alive and well.
    • My personal guess is the change was made to move Arcane Legends' pricing model closer to similar games that are known to be profitable and sustainable.
    • Arcane Legends is STS' largest source of revenue, by far. The future of Spacetime Studious depends on a profitable and sustainable Arcane Legends. They need it to be profitable, Arcane Legends isn't a just a game to them, it puts food on their tables.
    • STS isn't stupid, stupid. Just because they don't tell you what they're doing (nobody's business but theirs) doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. Oh, you want proof they aren't stupid? They actually learn from their mistakes. Do you learn from your mistakes, dear player? Oh, so glad to hear you do, too.
    • Protip: Your personal experiences do not constitute Proof Positive that what you know is the Absolute Truth. Oh, your friend told you they opened 10 locked and got 10 shards? And you totally believe them cuz your friend would never lie to YOU cuz you totally know them they just like a bff in real life. Online friends never lie, ya know. They're always right, facts be damned. Emotions = like totally true real reality and stuff.
    • Protip: Dear OP player, you're not the expert you think you are. This is a special message for those players who think they are something really really special for no legitimate reason. Some of them have been around a long time and feel the acquisition of great pets and great gear means that everyone should look up to them and listen to their great advice. These player overestimate their worth and act like they're super-duper-important when they're really not that important. Because they speak with authority, new players believe them and make mistakes because of them. They know who they are.

Here's hoping some of you get what I'm saying here.

Edit: If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't fit, it's not yours!

This thread has received some responses indicating that some feel it was targeting them specifically when nothing could be further from the truth.

A few more facts and observations

• Not all OP players have been around a long time.
    • Not all long-term players are OP.
    • The "STS isn't stupid, stupid" bullet point is merely a play on the well-known political phrase "It's the economy, stupid." It even has it's own Wikipedia entry.
    • I'm a long-term player and I aspire to become an OP player - hopefully one that isn't a know-it-all.
    • The vast majority of long-term players on the forums are humble, helpful and valuable kind.
    Last edited by Niixed; 07-14-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Turn your CAN'TS into CANS and your DREAMS into PLANS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

2 thumbs up for u

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

I'm going to say a prayer for people who lost gold out of greedyness. God bless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

I get the point but there's a couple of things in here bordering on ToS violation. Might want to tone down the insults to the 'stupids' and op players.

Just because a player is op and has been around a long time, or has good gear, doesn't make them intelligent, I agree. However, there are a lot of older players (op or not) to take a lot of time and put in major efforts to help newer players. This feels like it's slamming all of us, whether or not that is intended.

Edit: I will also add that just because STS doesn't provide us with their financial data, doesn't mean we have no right to say anything if the hundreds (or thousands) of dollars we individually shelled out to support development, is turned into an inferior product.
    Last edited by Serancha; 07-14-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

What STS is obviously attempting to do with the recent game changes is that instead of earning most of their money from a few select players who spend large amounts of cash in the game, they are trying to get a much larger percentage of the player base to spend more modest amounts of money. In the short term, I would guess they hope to keep the bottom line the same, while making the game more enjoyable for more players by making the most elite items more obtainable. In the long term, I'm sure they hope to grow the game by making it more attractive to new players.

The only risk they run is that some of the most elite players may become bored as there is nothing more for them to achieve. However, it seems these event contests will continue to give rewards such as are vanities and banners, and those items will still be hard to obtain, while not being necessary to compete. So the elite player can walk around wearing his very exclusive vanity as a sign of his success, but it will not make him OP in gameplay.

Overall I'd say this is a good plan. But yes, nobody knows what the bottom line earnings are or will be. If we continue to see new content in the game, then we can assume that STS is doing well with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

so what's the point of this? about over power players and long time players acting like they know it all?

many people ask for old time and very geared players opinions just to have an idea and if they choose to ignore they are being look upon as selfless people that don't give a damn about anyone or anything. If they do respond you get this "oh they act like they know everything and their opinions matters and act like they know it all"

Just like yesterday someone pm me asking me about orcslaying helmet. after i responded and told him it was ring quest next and what needed. his final respond was "to be honest i didn't think you would respond".

so basically it's a lose lose situation for being geared/old time players. To me it's really all come down to the eyes of the beholder they will choose and think of you however they want. Rather you do good or evil. In the end it's just a game after all. Don't let the negativity take over you, you control how you wanna play this game not the other way around.

I know for a fact some players dislike or hates me due to some circumstance last season cause I've notice they vanish from my friendlist but that's not gonna stop me from playing and doing what I love to do.
    Last edited by twoxc; 07-14-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Twobnv & Twoxc & Twocrazy - Deviant Misfits Officer

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoxc For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinytoy View Post
    Your post sounds very angry. It could have served better if it had a different tone. People opine on the economy because of past experience or simply to offer their input.

The thread has "come argue" written all over it. You may want to soften it so people see your point better
    A good argument can only be refreshing if it's steeped in fact first. In this case, the facts shout for themselves. While I appreciate your advice regarding the tone of my post, I believe it's entirely appropriate. It's less anger and more disgust and dismay.

Within my post I, myself, opined about STS' possible motive for altering their pricing model, so I'm unsure why you'd believe my motive for my post is an angry attempt to shut down discussion about the economy or the pricing model change. My motive is simply to challenge the alleged authority that some forumers are speaking with. It's inappropriate, untrue, unhelpful, and clouds the discussion with ridiculous nonsense. I will continue to call out such nonsense as I see it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Maybe all the bold caps and name calling were something to do with it.

To generalize that the long-term players are a bunch of knowitalls spreading lies and misinformation is insulting. A lot of us do endless testing before ever presenting anything on the forums, in order to make sure our information is accurate. You're just blanketing everyone with the same accusation, which is unfair, inaccurate and completely untrue in many cases.

It seems like this thread is designed to be a personal attack on someone, but if someone actually thinks that much of themselves, they will not recognize that they are the one you are targetting here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twoxc View Post
    so what's the point of this? about over power players and long time players acting like they know it all?

many people ask for old time and very geared players opinions just to have an idea and if they choose to ignore they are being look upon as selfless people that don't give a damn about anyone or anything. If they do respond you get this "oh they act like they know everything and their opinions matters and act like they know it all"

Just like yesterday someone pm me asking me about orcslaying helmet. after i responded and told him it was ring quest next and what needed. his final respond was "to be honest i didn't think you would respond".

so basically it's a lose lose situation for being geared/old time players. To me it's really all come down to the eyes of the beholder they will choose and think of you however they want. Rather you do good or evil. In the end it's just a game after all. Don't let the negativity take over you, you control how you wanna play this game not the other way around.

I know for a fact some players dislike or hates me due to some circumstance last season cause I've notice they vanish from my friendlist but that's not gonna stop me from playing and doing what I love to do.
    Why do you feel I was speaking to you? I can say that you're absolutely not who I had in mind. I wasn't addressing all OP players, just the ones who lack the self awareness to know what they don't know. They wield their power carelessly and their ignorance ends up doing significant damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    Why do you feel I was speaking to you? I can say that you're absolutely not who I had in mind. I wasn't addressing all OP players, just the ones who lack the self awareness to know what they don't know. They wield their power carelessly and their ignorance ends up doing significant damage.
    I don't feel that you're speaking to me lol but with the cap lock and bold statement you kind of generalize to all the OP/old times players and I for one do feel like I am one of the over power xD who doesn't like to think highly of themselves now and then haha.
    Last edited by twoxc; 07-14-2015 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

I'm a old player.....far far far from being op....yet
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Maybe all the bold caps and name calling were something to do with it.

To generalize that the long-term players are a bunch of knowitalls spreading lies and misinformation is insulting. A lot of us do endless testing before ever presenting anything on the forums, in order to make sure our information is accurate. You're just blanketing everyone with the same accusation, which is unfair, inaccurate and completely untrue in many cases.

It seems like this thread is designed to be a personal attack on someone, but if someone actually thinks that much of themselves, they will not recognize that they are the one you are targetting here.
    It's not a personal attack on anyone, but a wake-up call to stop us all from taking our tenuous and fact-deficient conclusions about the economy and the game too far. I just added an edit that will hopefully clear things up. I can also say that I'm extremely well aware of the work that many long-term players have put into the game, there's no ingratitude here. I don't regret calling everyone out on this - it needed to be said. We all sometimes let our emotions get the better of us, myself included.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Why do you feel I was speaking to you? I can say that you're absolutely not who I had in mind.
    It's not a personal attack on anyone
    Contradiction much?

Obviously just a troll thread. You have someone in mind, say it to that person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So you are saying pro ( geared ) players act like they know everything ?

When a pro player move around and people keep asking them i swear many of them so friendly and give u gifts and advices and helps you

As twoxc said if u ask him and he said his opinion u will say wow u act like u know everything, if he dont answer u will say ah why he dont answer, its just like real life man, pro players are normal people, some of them with long experience in the game and tried all fields in the game, some of them plats users and dont have much experience like some not max geared players

Man just go farm rengols and jewels, enough useless talks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highmountain View Post

enough useless talks
    my man you are my idol now xD you used the USELESS word lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Contradiction much?

Obviously just a troll thread. You have someone in mind, say it to that person.
    That's not a contradiction. My usage of "who" is referring to persons, not a particular person. I wasn't targeting anyone specifically, but the group of players who are usually OP, think too highly of themselves, aren't aware that the stuff they write on the forums often has little basis in reality, wield their power carelessly, etc. I'm sorry you feel this is a troll thread, but it's simply not the case. It's not my MO to do such a thing, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Lol relax guys, he didn't call anyone out but obviously the people who this post is directed to felt the need to defend themselves.

I will call these people out if the op didn't, they are: zeus, serancha, shinytoy and haligali and a few others i will edit post if i remember them.

These people usually talk like they represent the whole community but in fact they are only looking after their own interests or their guild interests.

Don't bother replying to reply to my post, im not here to start a fight, just be more humble and enjoy the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

woohoo i'm not in the list xD.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to twoxc For This Useful Post: