Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dilemma

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Default My Dilemma

I began playing this game over 2 years ago, fiercely playing for the first year, then slowly but surely my interest began dying down. The reason why, is what I've only just recently realized.

Back then, the gameplay was so new and fresh to me. It seemed so cool, coming from a past with no internet for the first 17 years of my life, to be able to play a game with people not in the same room as I am. Meeting new players and seeing real, intelligent life through pixels a programs. Knowing that every movement is a human gesture, there is human thought behind everything I see, all the way around the globe, in the palm of my hand. Being able to hack-and-slash my way through brackenridge with someone in indonesia was the coolest thing ever.

Before April of 2013, I considered myself a hardcore gamer. Being able to complete nearly any game within a week. Walking into AL, I had the same mindset. Reaching level 30 within a month, I thought I was among the elite of the elite. But then, I went into end game. Last year, shortly upon elite tindirin release, I went into elite tindirin solo. I died 5 times and still didn't make it through the first mob. Is this hardcore gaming? I had no idea. I did the best I could as a busy young adult to catch up to those high-class hardcore players with no luck. My determination diminished faster than a happy meal for a fat kid. I realized I've went months without touching my xbox 360 console. Have I outgrown video games?

For the past year, I've only ran elite maps less than 10 times, solely because I just don't have the energy to run around dying and respawning. I have wasted countless amounts of cash only to be adding fuel to a fireless pit of ash. After really only one year of hard work, and another year being laid-back, my assets total only around 5m. I've recently gone back into the game with a determined mindset of fiercely playing, but then my will died down after 5 minutes. When the game grows in favor of those very well geared, the casual gamers get left in the dust.

Once the novelty of the primitive gameplay diminishes, what is there to keep me glued to the game? The storyline appears nonlinear, optional and fragmented. I don't understand the main quest of the game, if there even is one? It appears more of a discover this, complete that, complete that again, and again, and again, and again; over and over again. There is no direct goal of the game, no recurring element or enemy. To quickly put it, the story sucks!

So if it's not the story and if it's not the gameplay, what's keeping me in the game. Player competition? I WISH! Again, as a busy young man, I don't have the time tk dwindle away farming the same hard maps multiple times a day to be able to compete with those with all the time in the world. Nor do I have the money to spend to plat-whale myself to the top. So I cannot compete with other players.

So what is keeping me in the community? Aha!! The community! I've met so many cool people here. But now, I have other ways of keeping in touch with everyone. So, I've decided to take a break from AL. Possibly for a month or two to rebreathe and let the gameplay possibly become a novelty again, or likely never to return at all for the reason that I have no point to waste my time in AL anymore.

All in all, here's my review of AL as a long-time player:

Gameplay: 5/10. Classic button mashing combat and running around with others. Smoothe animations and overall the combat makes sense. Amazing sorcerer skill graphics. Sorcerer gameplay is still exciting for me, too bad they can't compete with rogues. The direction of the game depends too heavily on the hard-hitting mobs. Dodging one-hitting attacks takes no skill as there is no way to control yourself from getting killed, redzones feel bugged as the lag prevents players from getting out of the way in time. After a while, the game grows dull, but so does every other game, so its really not cause for concern.

Graphics: 9/10. Great graphics for a game that runs smoothly on virtually any device. Stunning visuals give the environments such a lively spectacle. As a mobile mmo, the graphics are surprisingly outstanding!

Story: 2/10. The storyline is far from immersive. While the overall idea can be picked up from the environments and enemies (goblins vs humans, blue things vs black shadow things, orcs vs gnomes), the game severely lacks an overall goal. The storyline appears fragmented and repetitious. Explore this, kill these things, explore that, kill those things, etc. Nothing runs together and it appears as a absent-purpose game.

Social Interface: 10/10. AL makes it so easy to meet new people. Compared to other mobile mmos I've played, communicating with others seemed to be a headache, and meeting new players seemed impossible. AL knocks sociality right out of the park! Friends, organizable parties, and simplistic guild structure, this is clearly an mmo.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Overweightank

I keep asking my self Why I stay. The amount of time and effort put into this game is too much to throw away. I'm going to play AL untill the time comes to call it quits. And then I shall quit hardcore gaming forever

~ Life goals ~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overweightank View Post
    I keep asking my self Why I stay. The amount of time and effort put into this game is too much to throw away. I'm going to play AL untill the time comes to call it quits. And then I shall quit hardcore gaming forever

~ Life goals ~
    I think about that too, but then I also think about how much more time I would waste if I stayed and quit later. And at least I would be leaving on my own terms, rather than when everything dies once STS has given up.

Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

well i just realize the same thing, i have no idea why i got addicted with this game. well anyway i'm having fun so who cares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

That is almost exactly what i am going through o.O
    Just to pick up the game and start playing seems like a chore to me; but i cant just part with the game that kept me occupied over 6 months.
    I guess its just that the novelty of it wore off in my case.
    I doubt ill come back to AL, but i hope i feel like doing so again

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I'm still logging in everyday, with the hope of feeling the same like I did 2 years ago.
    When I actually felt happy.
    Last edited by Pillowhead; 07-21-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Here comes a chain reaction of " game sucks because... "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Im not really a hardcore player, doesnt play 10 hours a day (2-3h minimum) and still immersed with PVP each time the experience is always different. IDK about others but still good for me.
    Kronos Divine Guild Development PICS HERE -- PVP VIDS HERE AL Retiree

10. The Following User Says Thank You to epicrrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Nobody's saying the game sucks, it's just it's not as good as it used to be. Everything is just slowly dying with time, just needs refreshing. Completely taking away this crappy no-skill-required skill system and giving it the Pocket Legends' tactical skill system would today revive PVP. It would become less about how much the person has spent on their character since its all about wealth.

A game you've got real skill with is a game you'd much rather play, in my eyes..

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Squeezable For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshuwar1 View Post
    Nobody's saying the game sucks, it's just it's not as good as it used to be. Everything is just slowly dying with time, just needs refreshing. Completely taking away this crappy no-skill-required skill system and giving it the Pocket Legends' tactical skill system would today revive PVP. It would become less about how much the person has spent on their character since its all about wealth.

A game you've got real skill with is a game you'd much rather play, in my eyes..
    U sure nobody is saying game will die because various reasons ? I keep hearing same people contradicting with themself. One year ago " why we can't loot shard " nowadays " why i have so much plats? and everything in a game which I invested my money "

First of all nobody gives a crap if one person or two spent $ cause we all did afterall. We supported the game aswell. I can't quite understand how my money werent important at some point and their money still are? But if they have everything in a "dying game " they have to be butthurted. Their ego was up in the sky... Now they are "mortals" like everyone else. I'm not reffering to Op. Hope i make it clear.

If wallet warriors have a problem with boredom they should find other activities in AL or take their big pockets and move to another game. How about a hobby? How about some fresh air?

Although STS should try to have a better communication with us. Not just a weekly post. I don't know why the most important jewels have a low drop rate than others? Why i m lagging? When comes ursoth event? Before elites or after? Are we going to need nythic belt at all to craft mythic set? How about orcslaying. I don't have to guess this things out. But i promise i will talk with my personal fortune teller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Simply put I agree with op. Yes al economy is improving, but what is the improvement for? Everything seems way more repititive then any other mmo. I auit for s long time duemto economy/real life issues, I come back economy is different but overall al is still the same. I think CoC is goin be the next big thing and after awhile people will move on. Sts is nowhere near what it had during the pl/SL reon of its years and unless they change it.......
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

I give 5/10 to gameplay aswell.Poor skill sistem...and warriors
    But for the story i give 7/10.Indeed,it does not have a main goal.It has FOUR main goals:
    1.Kill Lord Mardrom before he conquers Arlor
    2.Find out what's up with the Gleipnir...
    3.Kill Lord Rendtail for what he's done to Arlor
    4.Kill Korgar Goretusk and avenge the town of Garetta

If AL's story would have ONE main goal,for example,let's say to kill Mardrom's twin,the only thing people would do is to wait until that time comes.
    And the quests in AL are mainly based on kill this,kill that, kill that one aswell.What are we? Paid assasins?
    We need more secondary quests,and NOT based on killing bosses.About discovering,investigating misteries.Such as the quest available from King Dude's statue at the beggining of the game which lets you know why Rutger betrayed you and his men... and the Dark Secret quest which debunks an old conspiracy theory about Uller trying to kill Vili...
    You don't even read the quests do ya?
    Back to the topic,i don't think the story is great,but i think it's good enough for AL to become a good MMO.
    If you really want to see the main story,i made a post about it 2 weeks ago.
    And one more question:what would you do to improve AL's gameplay and story?
    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Dimitrian; 07-21-2015 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

I think it of us feel this is the last expansion for AL. For me it's my friends, like you that keep me logging on. I have the mindset to milk expansionsion for all that it's worth then exit on a high before it sinks to Pl status.

Also, playing a game for several years you get burned out regardless of the cool factor. Novelty wears off in all games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    I think it of us feel this is the last expansion for AL. For me it's my friends, like you that keep me logging on. I have the mindset to milk expansionsion for all that it's worth then exit on a high before it sinks to Pl status.

Also, playing a game for several years you get burned out regardless of the cool factor. Novelty wears off in all games.
    Had AL have been an offline rpg, I'd've been gone 2 years ago. What's kept me up and about is all of the great people whom I've met during my journey. When the game dies, we are left with memories and eternal friendship, all the pixels arent going to carry over. Ive always had the mindset to enjoy every moment like its the last. I didnt care about becoming top player, i just wanted to have fun. But with time, I grew more and more unsavory for the gameplay. Enigmatic has kept me logging on over the past 7 months. I have so much gratitude for you and fade for organizing the guild. Without you guys, I really wouldn't be here today.

Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    I'm not saying the game sucks, because ive enjoyed it, I know there are others who still enjoy the game. I'm just clarifying that I'm just not enjoying it anymore.

Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    I began playing this game over 2 years ago, fiercely playing for the first year, then slowly but surely my interest began dying down. The reason why, is what I've only just recently realized.

Back then, the gameplay was so new and fresh to me. It seemed so cool, coming from a past with no internet for the first 17 years of my life, to be able to play a game with people not in the same room as I am. Meeting new players and seeing real, intelligent life through pixels a programs. Knowing that every movement is a human gesture, there is human thought behind everything I see, all the way around the globe, in the palm of my hand. Being able to hack-and-slash my way through brackenridge with someone in indonesia was the coolest thing ever.

Before April of 2013, I considered myself a hardcore gamer. Being able to complete nearly any game within a week. Walking into AL, I had the same mindset. Reaching level 30 within a month, I thought I was among the elite of the elite. But then, I went into end game. Last year, shortly upon elite tindirin release, I went into elite tindirin solo. I died 5 times and still didn't make it through the first mob. Is this hardcore gaming? I had no idea. I did the best I could as a busy young adult to catch up to those high-class hardcore players with no luck. My determination diminished faster than a happy meal for a fat kid. I realized I've went months without touching my xbox 360 console. Have I outgrown video games?

For the past year, I've only ran elite maps less than 10 times, solely because I just don't have the energy to run around dying and respawning. I have wasted countless amounts of cash only to be adding fuel to a fireless pit of ash. After really only one year of hard work, and another year being laid-back, my assets total only around 5m. I've recently gone back into the game with a determined mindset of fiercely playing, but then my will died down after 5 minutes. When the game grows in favor of those very well geared, the casual gamers get left in the dust.

Once the novelty of the primitive gameplay diminishes, what is there to keep me glued to the game? The storyline appears nonlinear, optional and fragmented. I don't understand the main quest of the game, if there even is one? It appears more of a discover this, complete that, complete that again, and again, and again, and again; over and over again. There is no direct goal of the game, no recurring element or enemy. To quickly put it, the story sucks!

So if it's not the story and if it's not the gameplay, what's keeping me in the game. Player competition? I WISH! Again, as a busy young man, I don't have the time tk dwindle away farming the same hard maps multiple times a day to be able to compete with those with all the time in the world. Nor do I have the money to spend to plat-whale myself to the top. So I cannot compete with other players.

So what is keeping me in the community? Aha!! The community! I've met so many cool people here. But now, I have other ways of keeping in touch with everyone. So, I've decided to take a break from AL. Possibly for a month or two to rebreathe and let the gameplay possibly become a novelty again, or likely never to return at all for the reason that I have no point to waste my time in AL anymore.

All in all, here's my review of AL as a long-time player:

Gameplay: 5/10. Classic button mashing combat and running around with others. Smoothe animations and overall the combat makes sense. Amazing sorcerer skill graphics. Sorcerer gameplay is still exciting for me, too bad they can't compete with rogues. The direction of the game depends too heavily on the hard-hitting mobs. Dodging one-hitting attacks takes no skill as there is no way to control yourself from getting killed, redzones feel bugged as the lag prevents players from getting out of the way in time. After a while, the game grows dull, but so does every other game, so its really not cause for concern.

Graphics: 9/10. Great graphics for a game that runs smoothly on virtually any device. Stunning visuals give the environments such a lively spectacle. As a mobile mmo, the graphics are surprisingly outstanding!

Story: 2/10. The storyline is far from immersive. While the overall idea can be picked up from the environments and enemies (goblins vs humans, blue things vs black shadow things, orcs vs gnomes), the game severely lacks an overall goal. The storyline appears fragmented and repetitious. Explore this, kill these things, explore that, kill those things, etc. Nothing runs together and it appears as a absent-purpose game.

Social Interface: 10/10. AL makes it so easy to meet new people. Compared to other mobile mmos I've played, communicating with others seemed to be a headache, and meeting new players seemed impossible. AL knocks sociality right out of the park! Friends, organizable parties, and simplistic guild structure, this is clearly an mmo.
    First of all, this is a great write up. You put lots of time into this, and it's very well thought out.

The only part I take issue with is your take on elites. The difficulty of the elites was the only thing that kept me coming back. You didn't need top shelf gear to run planar. It was difficult but a ton of fun.

The problem for me, and the elite obsessed, is the lull while we wait for the new elite maps to be released. Sure, we can make a fortune by farming locks or running outdated elites, but I really need something new, especially now that my shiny new gear and the new level 46 cap allow me to breeze through anything the game currently has to offer. I'm a bit surprised the new elites haven't been released yet, but they will come. I might just take a break until then.

Zylx, if you never did master planar tombs, I highly recommend doing it now. It's a lot easier. Hardly anybody is running it anymore, but PM me, and I'll gladly run it with you (anything to avoid farming locks).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

It just feels like the devs don't care anymore, at least not about the players' view of the game.

They let a dev (stsgrump) monopolize the timed leaderboards for months on end, they take no action against people who dummy farm and exploit their ways up the other leaderboards, they keep ap's needed to get onto the top player board that were also heavily exploited (flag bots much?), and change flagging to make it take 5x longer to accomplish. Nobody has time for that, because that is NOT anyone's idea of gaming.

So essentially:

* there is no way to compete for most of the leaderboards due to lack of ToS enforcement (relying on players ratting others out is not the way to do things)

* there are no ap's that you can to work for once you have completed all maps and arena (work does not mean running back and forth in a room 10K times, nor does it involve things we would have done anyways, like killing 3 bosses and reaching level 46)

* they still have not implemented elite kills, elite kdr + elite kills leaderboard which would be an actually fair way to judge player skill / effort. Yet there are 2 separate stats and leaderboards for pvp - which is not even the main part of the game

* this expansion has half the maps of a normal one, with mobs that are only practical for rogues to kill and bosses that don't drop chests (wtf)

* bosses with the identical sounds to other prominent bosses in the game which just feels redundant

* instead of a troll boss, we now get troll mobs. Nobody likes trolls! We have had enough trolls to last a lifetime!

I have loved this game for a long time, but it gets harder and harder to log in. I have spent over 2 1/2 years in this game, and the last 6 months it has been almost impossible to keep going. The only reason I still log in is because of my guild and the friends therein. If I didn't have that responsibility and those people, I'd have been gone long ago. The game I played before this, I was in for 5 years and only left because the devs didn't care anymore and the game went to crap. I don't want to see that happen here after investing both time and money in the entity that is Arcane Legends.

I disagree with the OP's opinion that elites are too hard. Challenges are the only things that keep us going. It just feels like they think being stunned for 4 seconds so you can't escape a one-hit redzone is difficult. That's not difficult, because there is nothing you can do with any amount of skill to avoid the death.
    Last edited by Serancha; 07-21-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

Ser the troll part made me laugh. My peeve is the freaking HORNS on vanity and gear. WHO WANTS HORNS?????? NOBODY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    It just feels like the devs don't care anymore, at least not about the players' view of the game.

They let a dev (stsgrump) monopolize the timed leaderboards for months on end, they take no action against people who dummy farm and exploit their ways up the other leaderboards, they keep ap's needed to get onto the top player board that were also heavily exploited (flag bots much?), and change flagging to make it take 5x longer to accomplish. Nobody has time for that, because that is NOT anyone's idea of gaming.

So essentially:

* there is no way to compete for most of the leaderboards due to lack of ToS enforcement (relying on players ratting others out is not the way to do things)

* there are no ap's that you can to work for once you have completed all maps and arena (work does not mean running back and forth in a room 10K times, nor does it involve things we would have done anyways, like killing 3 bosses and reaching level 46)

* they still have not implemented elite kills, elite kdr + elite kills leaderboard which would be an actually fair way to judge player skill / effort. Yet there are 2 separate stats and leaderboards for pvp - which is not even the main part of the game

* this expansion has half the maps of a normal one, with mobs that are only practical for rogues to kill and bosses that don't drop chests (wtf)

* bosses with the identical sounds to other prominent bosses in the game which just feels redundant

* instead of a troll boss, we now get troll mobs. Nobody likes trolls! We have had enough trolls to last a lifetime!

I have loved this game for a long time, but it gets harder and harder to log in. I have spent over 2 1/2 years in this game, and the last 6 months it has been almost impossible to keep going. The only reason I still log in is because of my guild and the friends therein. If I didn't have that responsibility and those people, I'd have been gone long ago. The game I played before this, I was in for 5 years and only left because the devs didn't care anymore and the game went to crap. I don't want to see that happen here after investing both time and money in the entity that is Arcane Legends.

I disagree with the OP's opinion that elites are too hard. Challenges are the only things that keep us going. It just feels like they think being stunned for 4 seconds so you can't escape a one-hit redzone is difficult. That's not difficult, because there is nothing you can do with any amount of skill to avoid the death.
    Very good points, but I strongly disagree with implementing a KDR leaderboard for elites. It would encourage cowardly, inefficient play, and nobody would want to park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Coug View Post
    Very good points, but I strongly disagree with implementing a KDR leaderboard for elites. It would encourage cowardly, inefficient play, and nobody would want to park.
    Excellent point, thanks. Elite kills and leaderboards then (scaled elites only), no kdr needed. I find parking cowardly and a huge waste of time though - but that's just me.
    Last edited by Serancha; 07-21-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.