Thread: boss flubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default boss flubs.

Why is this still happening?

I'm sooooo glad I'm not hunting Goblin King or Cockroach anymore. Half of the PUGS I have joined lately have had one...OR MORE THAN ONE....player who totally screws up the boss kill.

I have to ask. How does one get to 55 in these hardcore hunting parties and boss runs without ever having to learn how to kill Cockroach and Goblin King?

On top of this, I've actually seen groups screw up King and Queen. Like, getting to the bosses, and having one or two players run right on into the room, guns blazing.

I'm starting to assume it's on purpose.

I just don't get it.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some people are just ignorant. not stupid, because stupidity can be cured, but ignorant and apathetic. they just don't care. just leave the game and find a different one, or just boot them. but try to teach them first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Yes, this is very annoying and like you said I don't understand how they're are level 55 and don't know how to kill a single boss. It seems like they should have more than enough experience.

Anyways, If I did in places I normally don't die, I search for a new game. It's very convenient amd efficient.
    Flated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Make private room, invite friends... Problem solved

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm getting annoyed by people who can't even get the simple concept of not running into other players who have/don't have "Gold fever". How simple is that? Yet it happens all the time...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    I'm getting annoyed by people who can't even get the simple concept of not running into other players who have/don't have "Gold fever". How simple is that? Yet it happens all the time...
    Annoy them back by using your 'celebrate' emoticon... If they even notice that is

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did that once, prank a group on goldfever w/ celebrate emote, I was left soloing GoldFever, with rest of party waiting outside the room for me to die. I got him down to a sixteenth of his HP before they rejoined me. It was fun, though. mystery armor, shadow helm, and keeper staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping that we'll see this sort of fade away, since power leveling is very expensive, and leeching is undoable now.

It's a bummer when more players make the fight harder, not easier. It's soooo the case with Cockroach, as well as with Goldfever.

Whaddya say we all make a quickchat that says "please go to the spacetime forums to learn how to kill this boss", then we just leave the group.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    Why is this still happening?

I'm sooooo glad I'm not hunting Goblin King or Cockroach anymore. Half of the PUGS I have joined lately have had one...OR MORE THAN ONE....player who totally screws up the boss kill.

I have to ask. How does one get to 55 in these hardcore hunting parties and boss runs without ever having to learn how to kill Cockroach and Goblin King?

On top of this, I've actually seen groups screw up King and Queen. Like, getting to the bosses, and having one or two players run right on into the room, guns blazing.

I'm starting to assume it's on purpose.

I just don't get it.
    This is the result of power leveling players dont get to know thier role properly and sadly they die alot.
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

You're going to see a lot more of it. The thing is that people don't need to fight bosses to get to 55. All the bosses prior to BS (not counting SSC) didn't require any skill; just spam skills and auto. In fact, a lot of CTK runs just skipped the boss. Most people stick to hideout when they go to BS and just leave before the boss or attempt the boss which will likely take them over 5 min to kill.

BS is now where people start to learn to work as a team while before it was Victory Lap. The only other difference now is that their inability to do so affects the entire team since BS bosses require certain strategies compared to most AO3 bosses. Either set the chat macros to say the strategy for each boss or host your own game with people you know are good. Most of us who farmed VL are at an advantage because we know how to work in a team. The rest are still learning.
    Stuck in the game? Don't know what to do? Try this new awesome section on the forums which contains guides created by players to address various game issues. Click HERE to go to it! You can also use the nifty SEARCH feature on these forums to find your answer as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

I have this problem to...
    Daantjeh LVL 71 Bird | MageProdigy LVL 66 Mage | Prototypee LVL 65 Bear | Weapon Proc+Skill Combo's Guide | Guide When to use which emote! | All in one Guide for the Best PvE Ratio (Archer) |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrilana View Post
    You're going to see a lot more of this

BS is now where people start to learn to work as a team while before it was Victory lao
    Victory Lap was a much better proving ground for Noobs on the verge of being good players due to the variety and qualities of the various bosses. Oh well...

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Make private room, invite friends... Problem solved
    Talking about private games; thanks so much for yesterday's runs! Fast, efficient, and I looted two pinks

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Yep, xp groups DO NOT kill bosses. I avoided lots of groups like this. It's probably why I like all levels except Hideout. The other levels generally involve boss killing.

Star light, star bright...

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

The hilarious thing is that the bosses in PL aren't even remotely difficult when compared to other MMOs. I used to play wow, but quit a year or so ago cuz it took too much time. I've been at my cousin's house for the last week and they still play wow. I've been playing on their accounts and doing a few maps and killing bosses for fun in 5 mans. Many of these bosses would be like gold fever + gurgox + roach + king all rolled into a single fight, with each party member being in charge or responsible for a single thing. You might have to switch targets, while moving away from a team member or some kind of "death trap" and also pick up a buff within a 5 second period.

Anyway, I've realized that PL is just a really casual game and so you will get casual gamers. My 55 year old uncle also plays wow, but he is always being yelled at for not being able to coordinate 4 things at once. I'm trying to convince him to play PL because it would be more suited toward his pace of gaming.

I think the fact of the matter is that if you are a 15-35 year old +/- 5 years who has great reflexes, spacial awareness and you are playing this game in a relatively hardcore fashion, you are not the norm. I imagine the majority of players are really casual and they just don't have the gaming capabilities you might have.

Even people who don't powerlevel can grind their way up to 55 relatively easily given enough time. There really isn't an downside to dying, like an xp penalty or a gold/equipment repair penalty, so unskilled players can literally go and die 2-3 times per run and pay a couple plat to hide their kills/death ratio. I guess its just something that is unavoidable due to the casual nature of the game.
    Last edited by kiitz; 05-08-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

LOL. My brother is a high level player in Maple Story and the amount of time it takes them to organize just to begin to fight top level bosses....

And then the amount of time spent actually fighting...

Yep, ours are easy as heck.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play with good leaders who take a minute to talk to people they haven't played with before. The bonus of this is: if the other person doesn't answer or they flub things on the way, boot them early, save yourself the trouble. 9/10 we've found that if they've got an attitude to being advised even if new to the level, or they don't respond at all, it saves us the pain Also, some things do require practice--Goblin King is easy once people learn to quickly switch, but you will get people who are used to the aoe to death boss kills in other dungeons, so they do need to adjust. If more people took the time (and it really doesn't take long), we'd have more competent players in BS.

Added: and we've found some good people on the way doing this--quite a few times already, a boss kill goes off without a hitch even with new players in the group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, there isn't a lot of MMOs or RPGs that can have a group of 5 kill and end-game boss in a minute. Everquest was hilarious that way...when the cap was 60, my friend would help coordinate and run raid on the Plane of Hate. It'd be groups of 50-60 players, and the raids would last 3 days. Paladins would be dropping dead every 10 minutes or so, because one of the less popular abilities of Hate was his ability to kill you anywhere in his zone. Clerics had a full time job in rezzing. There were also all sorts of wonderful sub-bosses that could pour into the group and slaughter at a moments notice.

but I digress.

This is not a hardcore MMO, and I like it that way. Still, players manage to not be able to do the simplest of instructions or tactical planning.