Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which class is best for a "Main" account?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Which class is best for a "Main" account?

Hey guys so I was just wondering today which "main account" class would be best to use? More specifically which one would require the least money spent on the fastest lvling, the least amout of dying, the better advantage of soloing bosses for good drops, best farmer for items, and basically the class that can horde items so as to provide for the lower lvls or pvp characters that you are also using. I would really appreciate your opinions and if you could also tell me a little on why the class you picked would be the better one for a main account.

Thanks in advance.

IGMS-
    Pally-Fentura
    WarBird-Gjunki

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Dex bird, or INT mage hybrids arent good IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's all personal preference. My main is an INT Mage that was the first character I started. I got it to 55 before I made other characters. I like it because I do heavy AOE damage and I self heal, which is useful when soloing bosses so your not forever using ur pots. The downside to that though is that fights might last longer than if you soloed as a duel spec or another character. Also, the higher risk of one hit death.

I would suggest reading the different character guides and seeing what the strengths and weaknesses are of each character and their dual spec counterparts. But, once again, it's all mostly personal preference because you might rock a STR bear but some people swear up and down and that the DEX bear is the way to go...
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoQueen View Post
    It's all personal preference. My main is an INT Mage that was the first character I started. I got it to 55 before I made other characters. I like it because I do heavy AOE damage and I self heal, which is useful when soloing bosses so your not forever using ur pots. The downside to that though is that fights might last longer than if you soloed as a duel spec or another character. Also, the higher risk of one hit death.

I would suggest reading the different character guides and seeing what the strengths and weaknesses are of each character and their dual spec counterparts. But, once again, it's all mostly personal preference because you might rock a STR bear but some people swear up and down and that the DEX bear is the way to go...
    Completely agree

It's all personal preference really. Personally, I'd say a pure INT mage with some decent gear with some h/s and m/s. I think it's the most 'economical' char to run with, as you'll rarely use health or mana pots. But, again, it's probably more personal preference really

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pally, all other charecters are inferior, but dex birds are good for high level bosses bears imo suck hard because of the OP pallys
    Icantspel - 55 Fury ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I think int mages since less pots used and more mana can be used to kill stuff. Ive read about the bird and I see it's more of a pvp based owner not a Main. So now I'm trying to pick between str bear or dex and int Mage or dex Mage really and yeah ur right it's all personal preferences I like Mage more but I have never tries a bear so I can't say the Mage is better but I guess I'll just wait for some more opinions thanks again for ur time guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpel View Post
    pally, all other charecters are inferior, but dex birds are good for high level bosses bears imo suck hard because of the OP pallys
    Not trying to be offensive here, but a Pally's spell dmg (and heal) suck IMO. As far as I understood, at lower lvls its even worse because of the crappy hit % (never had a low lvl pally though, so I might be wrong on that point). In pve, I don't see the use for a pally other than your own survivability. You're not dmging or healing much compared to the pure int counterpart, and, to be honest, personally I manage to stay alive with my pure int (with enchanted) almost as well as I did when I was a pally. Although, at lv 55, I kind of liked fortified gear on my pally because of the added dmg from the set. But, as said earlier, it's all personal preference really

---

An interesting option to consider is going dual spec (str/int) on you mage. This way you can switch back and forth between str/int gear whenever you like.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

IDK. My first was a bird on which I peaked lev 53 before starting a new character - at that time I regarded myself as a bird-born player. The new was a mage, and I was so amused playing that I levelled it until 55. Then I started a bear and I rushed levels peaking 53 in less than a month (my target is to be 55 in a month without exp pots).

The most gold I got was with the bear, but probably because of some lucky drops and a greater experience - I made 1.2 Mgold during levelling to 50. My experience is that a mage is generally a better accepted player, so you can make friends and create groups quickly. On the other side there is an abundance of bears (even not many really strong), you must show your braveness to be accepted.

Birds do the most at boss, but drink mana pots as a drunken sailor and (pure ones) add health pots too; they are used to do the level runs at fastest speed. Mages pots requirements are very low and they make solid, effective runs, while unvaluable at boss; the gamestyle is more supportive than aggressive (but my mage has the max kill number among the three). Bear work is almost underrated, but they make the difference between a defensive game and an offensive one, as bears can reduce mobs hordes in seal pups to exterminate; bear job can be boring if you don't add offensive DEX and weapons, and you start to moderately consume heal pots.

My suggestion is: making money is a repetitive task and could become boring; use the character you feel more amusing to play, change to some other sometimes. Try to be more aggressive at cost of same risk, the fun is doubled!
    Last edited by Tamino; 05-09-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

For starting, I always suggest bird, full dex. You learn to kite, which is essential, and you have a nice mix of debuffs and attacks, plus a self-combo. With a bird you can solo, but you're also going to find that groups are glad to have you. Mages are ok, and again people are glad to have you, but there is a responsibility to heal all the time and if you're not used to it, it can detract from the game. Bears make great tanks, but this is one of the areas of the games that has the most duffers. You see, birds and mages have spells that affect groups, but when a bear stomps the groups apart, these spells become ineffective. Yet you find bears all the time whose first act is to stomp groups apart. So being a bear takes a little learning if you want to do your part in a party, and being a mage is a responsibility, so in the end, a bird is easiest to learn on.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpel View Post
    If I had to choose only one character, it'd be a Mage, as well. However, I don't agree with your reason that other characters are inferior. Every class has their pros and cons.

I choose a dual spec Mage because of her versatility. I'll tank as a Pally if there's no other bear in the group but I have to rely on the others to deal damage as her skills are so compromised. If you're a pure STR Pally, it's even worse! Otherwise, I'll switch back to INT to help deal more damage. In both cases, sure, I'll spam heals and revive if needed and is generally well received by most random PUGs. I also think it's a reasonably easy character to play and learn from before you create alts.

But by no means is a Pally/Mage a superior class over bears and birds. It's unfortunate that you feel so strongly towards bears because you'd be suprised how fast a PvE game can run with one, or more! It's unfair to generalize and put down the other classes when there are so many skilled and uber players representing each.
    Last edited by neko; 05-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

dex mage. thats mine good all around damage if you major in dex and minor in int.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    Gotta catch em all.
    check out this thread for a list of scams! http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...f-common-scams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My main was a pure dex bird, but you will spend alot on health and mana pots your entire career. My second was a int mage while leveling and I found that just as fast and much less expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys all these contributions are very useful i like to hear even more keep 'em coming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Not trying to be offensive here, but a Pally's spell dmg (and heal) suck IMO. As far as I understood, at lower lvls its even worse because of the crappy hit % (never had a low lvl pally though, so I might be wrong on that point). In pve, I don't see the use for a pally other than your own survivability. You're not dmging or healing much compared to the pure int counterpart, and, to be honest, personally I manage to stay alive with my pure int (with enchanted) almost as well as I did when I was a pally. Although, at lv 55, I kind of liked fortified gear on my pally because of the added dmg from the set. But, as said earlier, it's all personal preference really
    You said it exactly! To me, Pally's are only because you can't survive in sewers. I always tell people to go pure INT and they almost universally respond, that they heard a pure can't stay alive, simply untrue. Str Mages don't help the group, and your spell damages take a huge hit, and you'll never be the tank a bear can be.

At least be dual spec if you can't survive in INT stuff so you can help at bosses.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

You really have to see what your playstyle is like to see which class is best for you. Pally seems to be the most common suggestion here, but then, a lot of players here are pally players. I'm sure you'd get a lot of people who will say bird if you posted this in the archer section.

There is no class or build without any weaknesses. All of strengths and weaknesses. You just have to decide which combination of strengths and weaknesses you want to live with. My main for example is a pure int. I like to be a damage dealer and don't really care about K/D ratios.

Edit: My advice to you would be to spend some plat, respec a few times, and see what you like. Try each class for a day or two at least and see what you like the most (for your mage, pally, pure int, hybrid int, dex mage; and pure dex vs warbird).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 05-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Pick whichever one looks the coolest You'll learn how to play as any of the characters.
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

On top of Snowpeak Mountain, tweaking stats
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

So I suggest you first pick your skills. Bird for the attack and good for debuffing bosses. Mage for healing and good for buffing party. Bear for defense and good for rounding up mobs. So do you want to kill (Bird) or support (Mage or Bear)?

Then you play and decide what best fits your style. Dex and Int for distance kills, Str for close combat hack&slash. If you choose distance kills, Dex for higher DPS and less armor or int for more powerfull weaponry and higher armor.

You want to pay less gold for good outfits? Overall more people tend to go with Mages, so there are more Int items for sale for lower prices (i.e. Sewer Queens costs nothing compared to its counterparts). So to answer your question: choose Int based upon the skill you prefer. After you've leveled you can always respec.

Int-Bird-ism FTW!
    Last edited by Suntv; 05-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suntv View Post
    So I suggest you first pick your skills. Bird for the attack and good for debuffing bosses. Mage for healing and good for buffing party. Bear for defense and good for rounding up mobs. So do you want to kill (Bird) or support (Mage or Bear)?

Then you play and decide what best fits your style. Dex and Int for distance kills, Str for close combat hack&slash. If you choose distance kills, Dex for higher DPS and less armor or int for more powerfull weaponry and higher armor.

You want to pay less gold for good outfits? Overall more people tend to go with Mages, so there are more Int items for sale for lower prices (i.e. Sewer Queens costs nothing compared to its counterparts). So to answer your question: choose Int based upon the skill you prefer. After you've leveled you can always respec.

Int-Bird-ism FTW!
    Yay Intbirdism, btw your sig is creepy, you must be a dev, almost lv57

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Which class is best for a "main" account??

Whichever you have the most fun with!

For me, its a bear.

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I think which class someone has the most fun with is very personal. Some people really like being melee. Some people really like a certain look. I like all the classes and even the hybrids but they each play differently.

I will say that usually I'm in a group and, particularly in my early career, I was in FULL groups. I still usually find myself in full groups, either at the start or as it goes along. So the following comes from that experience:

Unlike some of the others, I thought the mage was the most expensive and had the most responsibility. Mine went through potions, especially mana ones, like crazy. My other classes pretty much funded my mage's mana potion addiction. Timing, I thought, was much more important on a mage. If a mage isn't doing things right, people can die or stay dead and killing can take much longer. Mages get good invites though -- maybe the most invites. And it's great fun to be in an all-mage group. Was just in one in Sandstone Caves last night. Funny as heck -- nuke nation! Also, some areas are better to farm as a mage, such as Swamps. However, due to the mage's responsibilities, it can also be the most exhausting class to play. Not all mages care about their group, BTW. I would say if you don't like to heal and rez, then don't be a mage, but that's just me.

Birds do the best damage. It's also easiest to play -- almost no responsibilities, besides damage, which of course, everyone wants to do anyways. If I want to relax in a group, I get out my bird. An all-bird group isn't as great as an all-mage group, but it's pretty fun also. There are lots of places where birds are indispensable and lots of groups welcome at least a couple birds. Birds are not as good at general farming as mages, IMO, but it might be easiest to group as a bird. Also, when people ask for help, they usually need more damage, so they'll ask your bird. Chugs potions like crazy, unless you watch your regen rates and deliberately increase them. But then that affects damage... Oh, if you are afraid to die, don't play a bird. Though at low levels, my bird lasted longest without any deaths. At high levels though, since I want a certain amount of damage, the bird can be very delicate.

I love my bear, though sometimes it can be frustrating because bears cannot do as much damage as the other two classes. In some of the dungeons, it's slow as molasses if you are all bears. Heck, bosses that you thought were easy with the other two classes, suddenly become very difficult. However, as a low level, my bear in a group was good for leading/saving the group and keeping enemies off the mages and birdies. He'd get heals and end up with the most gold because his pot usage wasn't as high as the other two classes. Also, with the right group, bears can move the group the fastest. Some high levels feel only one bear is needed, because some bears never learn their crowd-control skills very well. Learn your skills however, and EVERYBODY notices a good bear. Use your skills well and you'll get people saying how much they love your bear, love good bears, haven't ever played with a good bear, etc. Also, I find I lead more groups and create more games as a bear, so if you like that, then it's definitely the class for you.

Each class is fun to play. It really depends on your own personality.

Star light, star bright...