Thread: Random freeze?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Random freeze?

Hi all,

I've been having some trouble with my PL installation. It seems that after i've been playing for a while (it feels like five to ten minutes, but I haven't timed it exactly) PL will freeze. All the action on screen will stop as if paused, and the application becomes nonresponsive. I have to go back to my home screen, then use the task manager to kill the process off and restart. Of course in doing this, I lose my progress in whatever dungeon instance i'm in.

It doesn't seem to be graphics related - the phone doesn't get hot, and i've tried turning on the 'pixel double' option (which seems to reduce the quality), as well as playing with 'battery saver' and 'high quality' options.

I don't think i'm running anything in the background (at least, my task manager says i'm not), but it's difficult to tell where the error comes from without access to the error log.

Just wondering if anybody else is having this problem, and what I could do to solve it.

I've tried an uninstall/reinstall, and relaunching the program after a freeze doesn't fix it - eventually PL will freeze again.

I'm running a stock Samsung Galaxy S2. I've tried playing PL on other S2s, and it seems to run fine on those, so my guess is that it's a software issue, but i'm not sure of the best way of diagnosing exactly which app is causing the conflict.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Siyanamar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I don't know android that well, but my guess is that a complete reinstall of you phone could very possible be a solution to your problem.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I'd rather look into other options to stop the freezing first - any other suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have freezes as well but it doesn't occur consistently and usually only when I have some lag- be it a ping spike or when I'm low on virtual memory. Questtion- does your program freeze always within 10 minutes (time it)? Does it start slowing down, getting choppy, and then freezing? Or does it freeze instantly without warning? Also, does this freeze occur no matter what you are doing? If you're in towne and just browsing auction items, will it still freeze or ONLY when you're running maps? Lastly, try disabling all sound and music and see if this might the issue- also check how much free space you have left on your phone to make sure you have the minimum space to run it. Having multiple apps open at the same time will be more than enough to eat up your remaining memory even though you are closing programs (app killers unfortunately only kill apps momentarily, and they will open again and run in the background because app killers do not target shared processes between programs that usually reopens apps). What version of Android do you have, is it rooted and do you have any apps on your phone that blocks ads, or interferes with connectivity of the phone? Additionally are you using any live wallpapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Siyanamar View Post
    Hi all,

I've been having some trouble with my PL installation. It seems that after i've been playing for a while (it feels like five to ten minutes, but I haven't timed it exactly) PL will freeze. All the action on screen will stop as if paused, and the application becomes nonresponsive. I have to go back to my home screen, then use the task manager to kill the process off and restart. Of course in doing this, I lose my progress in whatever dungeon instance i'm in.

It doesn't seem to be graphics related - the phone doesn't get hot, and i've tried turning on the 'pixel double' option (which seems to reduce the quality), as well as playing with 'battery saver' and 'high quality' options.

I don't think i'm running anything in the background (at least, my task manager says i'm not), but it's difficult to tell where the error comes from without access to the error log.

Just wondering if anybody else is having this problem, and what I could do to solve it.

I've tried an uninstall/reinstall, and relaunching the program after a freeze doesn't fix it - eventually PL will freeze again.

I'm running a stock Samsung Galaxy S2. I've tried playing PL on other S2s, and it seems to run fine on those, so my guess is that it's a software issue, but i'm not sure of the best way of diagnosing exactly which app is causing the conflict.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Siyanamar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Whenever your device freezes, make your you stomp on it to get the combo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by braluk View Post
    I have freezes as well but it doesn't occur consistently and usually only when I have some lag- be it a ping spike or when I'm low on virtual memory. Questtion- does your program freeze always within 10 minutes (time it)? Does it start slowing down, getting choppy, and then freezing? Or does it freeze instantly without warning? Also, does this freeze occur no matter what you are doing? If you're in towne and just browsing auction items, will it still freeze or ONLY when you're running maps? Lastly, try disabling all sound and music and see if this might the issue- also check how much free space you have left on your phone to make sure you have the minimum space to run it. Having multiple apps open at the same time will be more than enough to eat up your remaining memory even though you are closing programs (app killers unfortunately only kill apps momentarily, and they will open again and run in the background because app killers do not target shared processes between programs that usually reopens apps). What version of Android do you have, is it rooted and do you have any apps on your phone that blocks ads, or interferes with connectivity of the phone? Additionally are you using any live wallpapers?
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

To go through all this in order, it always seems to crash within ten minutes instantly, without any performance judders beforehand. It only seems to crash when i'm out dungeoneering - I sat in a town for a fair while and all that happened was the handset got quite hot (which I guess can be expected). I've tried running without sounds and music, this doesn't seem to have fixed the issue (though there was perhaps a slight improvement, it's difficult to tell). I have several gigabytes of free space on all sections of my phone. I've tried running PL as the first thing launched (by me) after a reboot and still have it crash. I'm running Android 2.2 on a non-rooted Galaxy S2. I don't have any adblockers installed, and the only thing which might interfere with the connectivity of the phone is 3G Watchdog, but that only launches when i'm not using a wifi connection. I'm using a static wallpaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Siyanamar: Same error for me. Also on Samsung Glalaxy S2.
    Maybe compatibility issue?

Edit: Sorry, saw you've tested on other S2:s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other tests on the alternate S2s were quite quick - i'll be retesting again tonight to confirm that they aren't affected. Could you give a list of apps installed on your phone? I want to see if there are any apps we have in common which could be causing the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The apps I've installed are (long list):
    Angry Birds (original, seasons & rio), apps organizer, bankdroid, barcode scanner (ZXing), google sky map, YouTube, Free Advanced Task Manager, STHLM Traveling, GMail, Prisjakt, Google Translate, Pocket Legends (obviously), GO Launcher Ex, Google Chrome 2 Phone, Google Voice, Street View, Voice Search, Multicon Widget, Make Your Clock Widget, Facebook for Android, XBMC Remote, Quick Settings (APS), Google Reader, Simple Calendar Widget, Better Keyboard 8, Google Maps, FxCamera, ColorNote, Sticky, Battery Widget, Engadget, Google Docs, QuickMark QR, Big Photo Frame, Google Goggles, Minimalistic Text Widget, GO SMS Pro.

Don't think any of them were running though. The all auto-synced from my old phone. And Pocket Legends was the first app i fired up.
    Gonna uninstall all and reboot, and hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tried, and failed yet again. Seems the Atrix 4G is having similar issues:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...domly-quitting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

I had this... and I'm not sure how I got rid of it ^^

Some help I am... will edit it in if I remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if this has anything to do with them both being dual-core smartphones?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have an option to disable hardware acceleration?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually get a freeze when I first go into a pvp match and someone stomps while I'm doing a skill, and then it just freezes for a few minutes and come back to dead. :-/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GeTxKLuTcH View Post
    I usually get a freeze when I first go into a pvp match and someone stomps while I'm doing a skill, and then it just freezes for a few minutes and come back to dead. :-/
    Really? STS would probably want to know that :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by braluk View Post
    Do you have an option to disable hardware acceleration?
    I don't think there's one in-game, and I haven't seen one on the phone yet, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just re-tested on another sgs2, and it froze with the same symptoms :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same problem on occasion,. I have also reinstalled but the problem persists.
    Im working of a htc g2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the same problem lately with my unrooted Droid X. What's weird is that my partner can be playing in the same room on the same wifi with another Droid X just like mine and have no trouble at all, even in the same game as me! ??? I show her how I'm just frozen in place while the game's going on like normal on her device.
    That's really my horse!

Klaubocera, lvl 53 ursan ///// PyanfarChanur, lvl 22 enchantress ///// Nozama, lvl 26 avian
    "We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."