Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best character for starting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Best character for starting

Hey, are you new to the game? Do you want to collect as much experience as possible? When u play first time u should use pure skills (only str for bear , only dex for bird , only int for mage). The best character to start is a dex bird i think , because its easiest to collect experience . Dex birds are very accepted in groups. Int mages are good too but bird is better for start. Them there are mixes of skills like : str/dex , dex/int , int/str (the last one is not very useful). There mixed skills are something for advanced players and can be used as twinks . Hope that helped ! If you have any other questions just ask

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think pure Int mage is the better way to go. Pure str bear is weak and apt to miss, dex birds consume a lot of pots and die easily, while a buff mage will easily find groups even of people higher than them and can easily support any groups or solo. I have all 3 classes and the mage out-levels every other character just from how easy it is to play and support others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

For me, str / dex (half str and half dex) bears are the best to be your new account which you can find a room for leveling easily and bears are the character with the least deaths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

the best is an int mage (*-*)
    1) you can heal at level 6 making you need to potions (you wont be taking that much damage anyways)
    2) you can freeze the enemy
    3) many debuffs/buffs
    4) mages will be accepted into groups almost always
    5) mages rule
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Bears: the best crowd controll. I love walking into a room and destroying everything with only a few scratches.
    - takes a while to master
    - needs more hp pots
    - if you are not good, you make it harder for everyone else.
    Difficulty for beginner: 4/5

Birds: have great armor debuffs that later on make all the difference against bosses. Best hit% in the game due to Dex requirement.
    - move around alot. If you don't, you die.
    - make sure to kill off the ranged enemies first. You can alway circle around sword people.
    - in general they help the group. Best for boss killing
    Difficulty for beginner: 2/5

Enchantress: the support class Mage that can dish it damage to many foes. Prepare to take aggro.
    - if you see someone low on health, HEAL.
    - with one of the simplest combos, always try to freeze then fire.
    - reviving is crucial. If you see a dead friend, revive then and there. IF YOU WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE FIGHT, there might not be a after.
    Difficulty for beginner: 3/5
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arterra For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have taken each class to at least lvl 35. Bear lvl 50 and mage lvl 55. Best one for starting is the mage pure int or int with a little dex. Mages dont use nearly as many pots (usually man) as the other classes. Until lvl 50 or more the mages to the most aoe damage. People always want at least one mage and usually two. Mages are the only class that can heal and revive. They also can solo areas without pots. Thats my opinion. Hope this helps.
    Charmonda: He started dancing on me and so I started dancing on him. You now how we do:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Im with arterra you need 2 birds 2 mages and 1 bear to create a super powerful destruction team each one is made for a part and without one the game would be tougher each one has an advantage and disadvantage
    birds are strong one opponent damage dealers but need to move alot for that they dont get killed
    Mages are powerful bomb like character but they can easily get killed if you get hit
    Bears are strong armored chars that sometimes act like punching bags
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

perfect party: 2 birds, 2 mages, and 1 bear
    close: 5 mages; 3 mages 2 birds; 1 tank 4 mages; 2 mages 3 birds

Houston, we have a problem parties: 5 tanks; 5 birds; 2 tanks 3 birds; 1 bird 4 tanks

others: they work, just not the best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

5 birds is fine if they are reasonably skilled and don't die. In fact, some of the fastest runs I've seen are 5 birds or 1 pure int and 4 birds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK. I wanna see five birds (LVL 50) in Shadow Caves 4. someone record it and send it to me via forum PM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lol, birds are easy for start i think because no zombie has bows to shot too and the birds do great damage and crit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only class I have seen that can go toe to toe with the GALACTIC OVERLORD is the bear. even L55 mages and birds will die in 1/2 hits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscv View Post
    The only class I have seen that can go toe to toe with the GALACTIC OVERLORD is the bear. even L55 mages and birds will die in 1/2 hits.
    I'm used to solo him as a bird since lev 51.

<edit> On the thread's subject, I agree with Arterra description. I started as bird up to 53, then levelled a Mage to 55, and finally a (dual spec DEX/STR) bear to 55. Maybe being a mage is easier in low levels bad assorted teams than being a bird, but starting 40-45 it become an intensive multitasking job (buff, debuff, heal, resurrect, do damage).
    Last edited by Tamino; 05-16-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you solo the overlord? I've seen even L55s die no matter the class. I don't think you can kite him either. He doesn't stand close ot the barrels either. How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    I'm used to solo him as a bird since lev 51.

<edit> On the thread's subject, I agree with Arterra description. I started as bird up to 53, then levelled a Mage to 55, and finally a (dual spec DEX/STR) bear to 55. Maybe being a mage is easier in low levels bad assorted teams than being a bird, but starting 40-45 it become an intensive multitasking job (buff, debuff, heal, resurrect, do damage).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscv View Post
    How do you solo the overlord? I've seen even L55s die no matter the class. I don't think you can kite him either. He doesn't stand close ot the barrels either. How do you do it?
    The overlord attack is every 1.5 seconds; with 85-90 armor (what you can have with a Sunblessed Void Set) the attack reduces your health to half. You have time enough to drink two health pots and launch some skill attack while keeping auto attack on main weapon.

The only problem raises if there are too many crit, that require you to get 3-4 pots before next attack. This is mitigated by evade skill, but can again kill you on lagging network. Last time with a ping of 380 I did it with Cyber Talon/Wing that grants at least 120 armor.

<edit> BTW, the birds Blast Shot taks down the Overloard shield for a few seconds.
    Last edited by Tamino; 05-16-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I recently did Stronghold runs as the only bird w/ 4 bears. It was not a problem, though a medic for birdie was definitely better.

I've done OL w/ all birds. VERY fast. Only OL group that might be a problem is a non-bird group or one with a bird that can't live. Birds that can't survive OL or don't know to spam pots AFTER you tell them are a definite problem. Other than that, lots of groups work. I wouldn't call any group a problem group unless you've tried it and with good players.

I often find 2-bear groups to be a great pleasure, if the bears are cooperating. And as I've said, multi-bear groups working as a team is quite a sight. In a very good way.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree.. 2 bears are very good for tanking and ensuring the survival of the group. If the mage is good and doesn't die, I think maybe even 1 mage is sufficient for a group based on what I see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I agree that a pure int mage is probably the least hassle in the lower levels, and a dex bird is also a very good choice. As a bear you can't deal much damage so if you're very dependent on mages and birds, whereas a mage or bird can kite and solo most lower level enemies even if there's no bear.

That being said, you should really choose the character type that you most enjoy playing. As Arterra says they're all important in a group in different ways, and the endgame is now balanced enough that no one class has the absolute advantage. It used to be when AO2 was the cap that you had to have a bear for rushing; then in AO3 you had to have anything but a bear for potted VL runs. But those days are long gone and all classes are useful now. So choose the one you love playing and enjoy the game - that's what it's there for.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Very well said kal. Oh and I saw your video on PL and it was sweet!
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    Oh and I saw your video on PL and it was sweet!
    Thanks, glad to hear you liked it!
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial