Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for gold?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default Asking for gold?

Just wondering, do people only PM others to ask for gold? Seems to be that way. I tend to AFK for 15-60 minutes at a time, in game. When I take a look back at my PM's most of them are either asking for a favor of some sort or gold for personal gains, even from people on my friends list (although most are only who make an attempt to PM me for the gold, nothing else). Just wanted to say, one is not likely to get gold, especially when asking out of the blue. I hate saying "No", but it's one of those things that truly bring down my playing experience. /ends vent

Will lock/delete the thread if there is any flaming.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see it spamming the chat AND in PMs to me. I simply tell them that the time they spent begging they could have made the money they needed/wanted. And if it is a personal PM I just ignore and go about my business.

It does get really annoying though. And what makes it worse in my mind is that you can ask them all day, POLITELY, to stop and they keep doing it.

Anyone remember the Jack*ss preview where some guy was walking and he got hit with the really big hand? I wish we could do that to beggars.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I get a few messages asking for advice when I stand in Forest Haven, but I will admit that when I wear my sparkly level 55 armor a lot of the time I get bombarded with messages and friend requests. I have to admit though, ever since the elimination of gold-for-elixirs, I've had "extra" money from drops while leveling my alts. More times than not (in my experience), when I distribute this new wealth to those who only ask for gold once (not spam it), they seem genuinely happy and grateful. Perhaps I'm hopefully naive and gullible, but if I have some gold from keeper runs, I don't mind helping them.

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    I get a few messages asking for advice when I stand in Forest Haven, but I will admit that when I wear my sparkly level 55 armor a lot of the time I get bombarded with messages and friend requests. I have to admit though, ever since the elimination of gold-for-elixirs, I've had "extra" money from drops while leveling my alts. More times than not (in my experience), when I distribute this new wealth to those who only ask for gold once (not spam it), they seem genuinely happy and grateful. Perhaps I'm hopefully naive and gullible, but if I have some gold from keeper runs, I don't mind helping them.
    Yea, it's all a matter of opinion . Generally, I can normally tell when somebody wants something from me. If they PM me and I suspect that the only reason they wanted to PM was for gold, I just want to take their hand and face-palm it for them. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    That's nice that you're so helpful like that but how do they learn? You give it to them once and more often then not they begin to think everyone else will help them like that so they just constantly ask. Frankly, IMO, they need to learn to farm and the benefits of farming for more than just money.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

I've seen a really funny situation in which some level 12 kept on saying, give me free gold plis.
    Then when no one did, he said; 50000 gold to not get hacked, little price to pay.
    A few scared people actually paid this but thinking it wasn't enough, he said 20000, pay or you get hacked!
    Basically this person made me die laughing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

In the CS, it's best to ignore. Helping beggars only leads to more begging.

For friends, I'd have to say, it depends. Friends that you've known for quite some time or who you trust can be aided. The rest ... I've encountered similar - it's probably best to say no and if the begging persists, delete them off the list. I'm a bit more cautious as to who I add onto my list these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Personally ive never asked anyone for gold
    lol you would not walk down the street begging for money unless your a hobo
    but jokes aside we have always had this problem but it was limited to forest heaven and the odd ones in the cs room.
    but now the flood gates are open its a free for all lol
    People have no shame.
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I hate it when people beg. I will remove beggars from my friend's list. I also hate it when they message me to sell me an item unless they preface it with, "hey, before I sell rare item I'm asking friends if they'd like first shot at it". I LOATHE it when people try to spam sales in dungeons. On the other hand, if people don't beg I'll often hand them stuff. There are a few people on my friend's list I'll just give stuff, gold and pots to. These are people I know enjoy the game, don't has as much gold as I do and who I know will really appreciate it.

Now, if a friend I'd been playing with for awhile and who I actually talk to, not someone on my list who I never play with or talk to, asked for a loan I'd give it to them no problem. I've done this and I've often given them the amount and not asked for it back.

In the same vein, I think expecting your friends to give you something cheap and getting miffed if they don't is very similar to begging. If they give it to you cheap be grateful but don't expect it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Just wondering, why would you AFK for that long? Doesnt it take like 30% of your battery away

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I defnitely came up and tried to talk to you in your afk, was like wtf >.< , but back to the topic, when people ask for gold, i give them 1. Then walk away, lol.
    Characters: Tekknique LvL 20 TwinK
    Sex Ed ROCKS!
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=51976&dateline=130524  3998

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    Just wondering, why would you AFK for that long? Doesnt it take like 30% of your battery away
    Only takes away like 10 percent for me. If I'm on wifi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the gold and items I have obtained playing I got from doing runs and XP. Can I use gold? Sure most of us can. I never ask anyone or beg for it. This is the way it should be. Everyone should have to earn it. I have given items and gold to players but never to beggars.
    Timbabird lvl 55 Oldsillymage lvl 50+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

AmyxRose gave me 14k to buy my crystalline armor, she asked me if i wanted a loan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hey range we are friends and I've never asked you for anything before! I think that deserves some kind of reward! Lol j/k!!

The other day I asked a random lvl 32 bear if he wanted to buy an iceberg frosty hatchet! He said he didn't have much money and I said "make an offer"! After saying that I felt like a beggar (plz buy, plz buy), so I just gave it to him lol! When ppl ask me for money or items I tell them I don't work for the welfare department and they leave me alone!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure almost every low level character does this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

A lvl 50 asked me for 400 once and I was soooooooo amazed, cause I can get that in a minute in plasma or some thing...it's so sad...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilQ View Post
    I'm pretty sure almost every low level character does this
    None of my low level characters do this and I can say I've never done it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have never asked for gold and plan to keep it that way.
    You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
    Announcing the Pocket Legend Fan Site!! Become Part of the Phenomenon!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Does my asking, "who's the main of _____" annoy you?