Thread: Why Do Debuffs Continue Override Buffs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Unhappy Why Do Debuffs Continue Override Buffs?

At some point in original development process for Arcane Legends it was decided that debuffs would override similar buffs.

What does that mean, exactly? In PvE, it could mean a mob's 5% damage debuff overrides your 10% damage buff and you end up with -15% damage. In PvP it means a Rogue's Aimed Shot -15% armor debuff permanently overrides all armor buffs as long as you're being hit.

Why is it such a big deal for all classes and players?

It means that the buff you worked on, spent plat/gold on, put thought into, strategize with, and depend on... it is sometimes taken away completely by a smaller debuff, probably at the moment you need it the most. On top of that you still receive the debuff that took your buff away.

This is one of the most flawed mechanics in the game. It's totally counterintuitive to how most gamers would expect a game to function and it's difficult to understand why it continues to exist in Arcane Legends. As players, we're not getting what we expect and that means the game is a lot less fun to play.

Maybe it's really hard to fix because there are considerable dependencies to consider. Maybe it would break the game if the buff/debuff system actually behaved as most players believe it does. Maybe it just hasn't been a priority for the development team. Regardless of the reason, AL players deserve to know that the game isn't working as it should underneath the hood.

Players expect that similar buffs/debuffs will add to or subtract from the current score. Buffs and debuffs should have equal precedence.

Devs and Mods, please let us know the status of the buff/debuff system and especially how soon we can expect it to be changed for the better.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Niixed; 12-16-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: improved accuracy

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Yeah, I always thought that buffs and debuffs should all just add or subtract from each other instead of one overriding the other. Also, similar buffs should add instead of the larger buff overriding the smaller one. But at this point if they were to change the game to work this way, balance could end up being way off, so probably best to just leave it at this point. But it is somewhat annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Yeah, I always thought that buffs and debuffs should all just add or subtract from each other instead of one overriding the other. Also, similar buffs should add instead of the larger buff overriding the smaller one. But at this point if they were to change the game to work this way, balance could end up being way off, so probably best to just leave it at this point. But it is somewhat annoying.
    I understand your point. Yeah some rebalancing will likely need to be done. However, there's a serious risk if the system is kept as-is. Maintaining overall game integrity will be increasingly difficult as more items and expansions are added. It's already proving to be challenge, nearly every new item released requires an additional update. Also, part of the reason the Rogue class has grown to inappropriately dominate all realms of AL is the erroneous buff/debuff system. If the game isn't built on a solid foundation (intuitive, logical, scalable) continued development will eventually require an effort so monumental it may prove impossible to sustain.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

You aren't holding your breath for a reply from a dev are you?

But I agree with thread a stat debuff should never override a stat buff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diggdugg View Post
    You aren't holding your breath for a reply from a dev are you?

But I agree with thread a stat debuff should never override a stat buff
    I have enormous lungs and I took a deeeeeeep breath when I clicked "Submit New Thread."