Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBB - Bow Bear Berserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BBB - Bow Bear Berserker

Bow bears/dex bears were always a topic of heated debates so I decided to show mine and share some tips and ideas with all of you. All CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK is more than welcome.

INTRO

That's how ur stats will look end game. Armor crit ring, mage buff, no self.

Same Set up with added full self buff and revive's 1 min buff.

10 dmg 2 crit ring, no mage buffs, right before I hit 56

My "build" focuses on being as useful to the party as possible, thus control the mob/boss and punch as much damage as possible.

BUILD

Many ppl spread rumors that STR increases damage of bear's skills dramatically more than DEX. It isn't true, for a fact I did a test using raid roach recurve and compared the damage displayed on stomp with dual spec and full dex - the difference was BADOOM BOOM!! 3 DAMAGE!! The only advantage u get by investing in STR while using DEX gear is noticeable health boost, along with slight h/s, dodge, armor bonus. All boiling down to the question: Do u want to be the one punching or the one being punched. I prefer the prior if u do too read on.

STATS

DEX DEX DEX DEX!
    More dex means: more damage, armor penetration, and u still retain the high skill damage u'd get with massive STR.

SKILLS

My end game build looks like this: 6 RAGE, 6 STOMP, 6 BECKON, 6 HELL SCREAM, 6 TAUNT, 6 IRON BLOOD, 5 EVADE, 6 CRUSHING BLOW, 6 SUPER MEGA SLASH, 1 VENGEFUL SLASH, 1 CRIPPLING SLASH, 0 RESTORE

Rage is the single best damaging self buff in the game. Works amazing with fast DEX weapons.
    Stomp ur first aoe attack with good damage, decent range and cooldown. Used shortly after Beckon triggers the Smash! aoe combo for added damage, massive knock-back and guaranteed stun effect.
    Beckon aka pull; it deals damage (somewhat in the range of ur normal attack damage), draws whole mobs of monsters towards you and has a chance of stunning them. Its vast 12m radius is worth noting.
    Hellscream when maxed is my favorite debuff of all. It decreases the damage and hit% by factor of -30, increasing ur survivability if use properly (to maximize it's effectiveness, u must be within a group of monsters!)
    Iron Blood and Evade are ur two basic purely defensive self buffs. Pop them when ever u're approaching a larger mob.
    Taunt aggroes monsters within vast radius of 12m.When maxed, it provides 12 sec stacking buff giving 8 dodge each, adding up to 16 dodge that can be maintained permanently for NO MANA AT ALL if u hit it as soon as it cools down. This can be used in two ways: when mobs are around to keep the heat of off ur team mates, or selfishly to boost ur dodge when no monsters are around.
    Crushing Blow always comes first out of all 4 single target offensive skills in your arsenal for obvious reasons: reduces dodge and damage, making it perfect skill to cast on a boss right after Smash! combo and follow it up with ur 3 slashes. Presumed hidden armor debuff
    Super Mega Slash aka SMS. Quick reuse, best damage of all 3 slashes, has a chance to stun. Presumed hidden armor debuff.
    Vengful Slash Knock back, another skill to spam for bonus damage.
    Crippling Slash Supposed to root target, never confirmed the effect myself but it's always nice to have another ST (single target) skill to spam on a boss fight.
    Restore Small heal, temporary h/s regen bonus and I heard it removes debuffs, making it nice investment of one point if u pvp.

For new players I recommend maxing RAGE asap then STOMP and BECKON as soon as it becomes available (save up some skill points!!)

TACTICS

As I already mention ur primary goal is to crowd control (group monsters in an orderly fashion) and punch massive damage as you do it.

MOB CLEARING

There is one golden rule that will keep u from getting booted: DONT TOSS MOBS ALL OVER THE PLACE!
    Basically cast Beckon near objects such as rocks, walls corners and move away from it as the monsters are being pulled. As soon as they move right past u Stomp em into the object. This way they wont be spread all over the place. Dont forget to pop ur Rage on, and Iron Blood/Evade (those two are a must for bigger groups!) If the mob has tendency to survive the combo and ur team's onslaught, use Hell Scream to buy u some extra time while Beckon and Stomp cool down.

BOSS FIGHT

The tactic that I use on bosses is fairly simple and has never failed me. Here go the pictures demonstrating it and promptly explaining the basics. (I didnt mention that u have to spam Taunt all the time and Iron Blood/Evade as needed cuz I assume it's obvious)

This way u keep tossing the boss over relatively small area minimizing the interruption to ur party's damage and maximizing the control over the boss (added damage comes as a bonus!)

Following up with barrage of slashes as soon as u nail the boss into the side of the corner makes ur damaging capabilities come very close to those of a bird with same equipment.

EQUIPMENT

Until I reached level 50 I didn't really bother with expensive stuff. I just supplied myself with anything that had decent armor and damage for my level and didn't cost an arm and a leg. However once I hit 50 I knew I had to invest some money in a good set. There are many options, I won't elaborate too much. Just give u and show few examples.

Void Bow, Void Gun, Sentinel Gun, Sentinel Talon, Mystery Bow, Cyber Gun, Cyber Talon are all nice sets. Here are some pics (I might add more over time) also u can refer to http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Oasis-Part-III and http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...s-amp-Crafting

Mystery bow set has nice dmage, dps, focus lvl5 proc (chance to get lvl5 bird's skill focus adding 25 crit and hit), insane h/s, but lacks in armor, crit and dodge. Screen taken on all self buffs, with vanity helm addint 1 armor, and ring adding 10 damage/2crit. With the focus proc u'd get 25 more crit and hit!

Most defensive talon set with decent damage, crit, dodge, h/s, m/s. The only drawback is the price. Screen taken on all selfbuffs with 8 armor/2 dodge ring.

Customized Recurve Set. I think the stats speak for themselves. Pure offense. Full self buff, 10 dmg/2crit ring, vanity helm 1 armor. It's worth to note that I usually go with 8 armor 2 crit ring for mob clearing and 10 dmg 2 crit for bosses.

Version 1.0
    Future Updates may include typo fixing, credits, more screens/screen resolution fix and PVP section (after I explore that side of the game as I just hit 56 on my BBB and I'm looking forward to new experiences xD)
    Last edited by Vivi; 06-11-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Ruthlesskill Bear/Warrior LvL76/15 (PL/AL)
    Viciouskill Mage/Sorcerer LvL76/15
    Mercilesskill Dex Bird LvL67

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Guide Am thinking of making my dual spec bear a “BBB”, they look really good, but can I add you in game and we can talk about builds etc.
    My name is iKingz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

very nice job!!
    I might create a dex bear for end game
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Yep, the main thing here is you recommend a full Dex hybrid as opposed to a half-and-half. And because the only reason you would pump Str into a Bowbear is to get skill damage and Dex does that too, I would say either works.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

"Many ppl spread rumors that STR increases damage of bear's skills dramatically more than DEX. It isn't true, for a fact I did a test using raid roach recurve and compared the damage displayed on stomp with dual spec and full dex - the difference was BADOOM BOOM!! 3 DAMAGE!! The only advantage u get by investing in STR while using DEX gear is noticeable health boost, along with slight h/s, dodge, armor bonus. All boiling down to the question: Do u want to be the one punching or the one being punched. I prefer the prior if u do too read on."

What advantage do you get as full dex instead?
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Many ppl spread rumors that STR increases damage of bear's skills dramatically more than DEX. It isn't true, for a fact I did a test using raid roach recurve and compared the damage displayed on stomp with dual spec and full dex - the difference was BADOOM BOOM!! 3 DAMAGE!! The only advantage u get by investing in STR while using DEX gear is noticeable health boost, along with slight h/s, dodge, armor bonus. All boiling down to the question: Do u want to be the one punching or the one being punched. I prefer the prior if u do too read on.
    i would go half str for the ability to tank at king and queen if we have a pretty bad party, or no mages that heal right. worked as a pally, works with a bear.

apart from that, love it. tactics are sound, nice screenshots.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Great guide, but I'm still going to stick with my duel spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    What advantage do you get as full dex instead?
    Slightly higher damage, crit, hit%. I would say with a Dexbear, for the purposes of being a dexbear it doesn't matter if you go pure Dex or Dual.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BBB is more about the play style not whether u're full dex or dual spec. Full dex gives u more weapon damage, dual spec gives u ability to use str equips and higher health pool. Atm I'm exping my bird to 56 so he's using my custom set so I respected my BBB to dual spec and I do the tanking when no good bears are around. (It happens more than often, I had a party of 4 bears+my bird and I had to take the point cuz they were too scared/reluctant to do it... yes it is very sad... Got booted when I suggested a bowbear to start using slashes and crushing boss).

Anyway See ya in sewers xD

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    Slightly higher damage, crit, hit%. I would say with a Dexbear, for the purposes of being a dexbear it doesn't matter if you go pure Dex or Dual.
    This. The difference is not as noticeable as one thinks. And skill damage is greater woth more strength points, but more efficient with more dex. Good guide tho.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Full dex vs dual spec: 3 dmg more on stomp with dual spec. Imho that's not even worth calling "more damage" when it's a difference of less than 1% but that's just an opinion xD and Thanks guys, I put a lot of thought into this one, worst part was organizing all the stuff I wanted to say and not make it too lenghty/boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

From Mr. Wallace:

The impacts on strength vs dex on skill damage are minimal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfect example to visualize and prove what I said, I'll add it to my guide and credit Mr. Wallace. Where are u from exactly WhoIsThis? I'm from Ontario myself, Mississauga to be specific.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Perfect example to visualize and prove what I said, I'll add it to my guide and credit Mr. Wallace. Where are u from exactly WhoIsThis? I'm from Ontario myself, Mississauga to be specific.
    I'm from the Ottawa area, but I'm studying at the University of Waterloo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

So after seeing Wallace's comparisons, the only real gain from a BBB is :

21% Hit (130-151).

17 Min-Max Damage.

Roughly 4-6 minimum skill damage.

Correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Looks like it.

It's actually on average, just 1-2 skill damage. Note that on the dual spec configurations, the maximum skill damage is actually a bit higher.

In return, you lose:

- 2 dodge and 3 armor
    - 67 hp
    - 1 H/S
    - The ability to wear strength equipment, which depending on the situation, can really improve your survivability and party effectiveness (sometimes drainers just isn't enough)

Other thoughts:
    - You lose a very little amount of crit (dex only adds a bit more crit), which rounding probably prevents from showing. In total you lose 0.134% crit. Negligible.

This begs the question - is this worth it? I'd have to say that the dual spec is the better option.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 06-18-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Noted the loss in crit

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Looks like it.

It's actually on average, just 1-2 skill damage. Note that on the dual spec configurations, the maximum skill damage is actually a bit higher.

In return, you lose:

- 2 dodge and 3 armor
    - 67 hp
    - 1 H/S
    - The ability to wear strength equipment, which depending on the situation, can really improve your survivability and party effectiveness (sometimes drainers just isn't enough)

Other thoughts:
    - You don't lose any crit (dex only adds a bit more crit)

This begs the question - is this worth it? I'd have to say that the dual spec is the better option.
    I have literally gone back and forth for months now. IMO, because of the minimal changes in skill damge, hit%, and increased opportunity at survivability, dual spec is the better option. And as mentioned, the opportunity to wear strength gear is always a plus.

Still say this is a good guide and appreciate the work put into it.
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 06-18-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I have literally gone back and forth for months now. IMO, because of the minimal changes in skill damge, hit%, and increased opportunity at survivability, dual spec is the better option. And as mentioned, the opportunity to where strength gear is always a plus.

Still say this is a good guide and appreciate the work put into it.
    Same, was going back and forth awhile back

And agreed, kudos to the guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always used to use Senti talon set for tanking and it was more than enough (good tank with the advantage of range attack), but it all boils down to personal preferences and playstyle. Anyway my bear is dual spec'ed now cuz I reactivated my bird, and it's realy cheap to put an amazing str gear mix on a bear if I need to switch quickly and help my team when tank's needed (one sword and shield mix has almost identical skill damage as I had with custom recurve with 50 armor more, 20 less crit and like 20 more dodge, so all in all it's not that bad)

Thx for all the positive feed back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Elly... Dont look at the small things focus at the bigger picture. Skill build, tactics, party task. Dual spec kinda defiles the whole idea behind bow - the range. The moment u use str gear u're just a tank, and my idea was to retain ur range and offensive capabilities even when u use the defensive setup (like senti talon set for tanking - good damage and defenses without losing ur range factor dramatically). STR gear kinda pins u down in one place while with ranged gear u can kite to prevent many of those hits from landing which combined with bear skills is basically ninja-like-state. Given a choice I always go for range. Unless bear gets Biotic charge from Mass Effect 2.