Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingame incentives to use a name we reserved?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Default Ingame incentives to use a name we reserved?

So I went out and did the Netflix trial and got enough plat to reserve my Mage's name for SL (Calling it SL now). They kept lowering the plat reward from it so I just went for it before it got too low.

This got me thinking though. In PL you get a cool looking character bound shield, most likely a database marker for STS to know which names are reserved, but we haven't been told what people get in SL for reserving. Will there even be anything? As it stands now once SL launches those who reserved and those who got their favorite name on day one would be indistinguishable. I mostly reserved for the shield really, because unless we get something in SL for the character who's name we reserved, I'm probably not going to even use the name if I can get the one I actually want. Hopefully once the database markers are not needed anymore they'll make the shields stashabale.

So speculations. Who thinks there might be ingame incentives to use the reserved name versus using something else? What should they be? We haven't really been given an ingame reason to actually use the reserved name in SL and it seems like no matter what there won't be any distinguishing characteristics between reserves and non reserves. How about if you actually use the name you reserved from PL you get something? I'll take a cool glowing vanity helm or something else, please.

Actually give us a reason to use the name besides that we paid 50 plat for it, you know? For those quitting PL for SL (I'm gonna play both) that's what it is basically. Paid for it, so gotta use it now or the plat was wasted.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im still doing the math on maybe an xperia for just SL .....and the G tab for PL.......two hands so thats cool...wait....darn it only one brain
    but back to the thread, they 'say' there is much more inventory choice in SL so special items should be easy for them to swing, anyone around when PL started let us know whether they turned out some special early bird items......early bird.....archer....lol...killing myself here lol

UCDF Induction Exam Question 4563
    Q? If Riven's are dead Scorn's, dead Riven's are ? A= A good days work
    UCDF.org is online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

hmm but isnt the reward not having your name taken? But yes the shield should be swappable between your characters in SL and PL. That would be cool. But did you get plat by doing the Netflix free trial?
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

IMO the reward is not having your name stolen. I'd take that over any vanity reward any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    IMO the reward is not having your name stolen. I'd take that over any vanity reward any day.
    think about it: who exactly is going to steal all these names? Some names do need some level of protection, like you and me, or people using high demand names like Thor. But many PL players live a life of anonymity. In fact, many bought them specifically for the shield itself.
    Now that raises the question if the shield itself is worth 50 plat lol, but whatever. As it is, it is an "extra".
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    think about it: who exactly is going to steal all these names? Some names do need some level of protection, like you and me, or people using high demand names like Thor. But many PL players live a life of anonymity. In fact, many bought them specifically for the shield itself.
    Now that raises the question if the shield itself is worth 50 plat lol, but whatever. As it is, it is an "extra".
    True. If your name isn't your priority for the 50 plat, then the question definitely moves to "is the shield worth 50 plat". IMO, it's not if your only goal was the shield. But yeah like you said, it's an extra. I didn't even know they gave us shields til recently. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    hmm but isnt the reward not having your name taken? But yes the shield should be swappable between your characters in SL and PL. That would be cool. But did you get plat by doing the Netflix free trial?
    I'm not really worried about my name getting stolen. I'm more worried about the name I actually want not being available on day one. The shield is basically all I get. As for Netflix, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    That's the point I'm trying to raise here. All we seem to get is name reserve and a shield. Once SL launches, as it stands now, the reserve floats away and the shield is in PL. Nothing in SL at all. Am I really the only one who feels there should be something in SL as well? It's worth having the shield in PL definitely since it won't be available later and it looks freggin cool, but for what it does (Reserve and vanity) it isn't "worth" anything in SL basically. As mentioned before, at the end of the day, once SL launches, those who reserved and those who didn't are equal ingame. I dunno about you guys, and I really don't wanna sound like I'm whining or whatever you call it, but for 50 plat I really think people should get a lasting something in both games and not just PL.

Am I making any sense here?

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

50 plat is 50 plat, you are right... hey, maybe it will count towards veteran rewards for B* lol
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Lol if someone takes mine that really sucks- cuz i dont have the plat to buy my name.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'm debating with myself whether or not to reserve my name right now. Although I don't publish any guides or have any reputation for being a PvPer (which I suck at to be honest), I still seem to be known. There have been times when I enter a Hideout run and people seem to know me for whatever reason.

Edit:
    In PL, I have noticed that the names "Attackbird" and "Attackbear" have been taken. I've never met these characters before, so I don't know if someone is out to impersonate me (doubtful) or if this is purely by chance.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 06-07-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

All I really cared about was saving my ign as it can sometimes be difficult to grab. The vanity was a nice perk for pl but I really don't expect anything else for star legends. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I don't see anything passed not having your name stolen. Some people with a name like "dnasfjn" reserve their name, I personally don't see why, since the point is to get your name reserved, not get a shield that looks like a window for 50P but okay. I've had my name jacked in PL, asked the people for it back, took a while but long story short, the people gave me my name back (long story, rather not go into it). So I thought I'd be safe and reserve my name since my names on forums and such, and many people stalk the forums.

The devs are smart, and they know their customers. They add a pretty glowing shield, and boom, it goes from few people reserving to tons walking around with the hard light shield. They got revenue from people wanting to reserve their name, and people that wanted a pretty glowing shield. Smart idea IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    I'm not really worried about my name getting stolen. I'm more worried about the name I actually want not being available on day one. The shield is basically all I get. As for Netflix, yes.That's the point I'm trying to raise here. All we seem to get is name reserve and a shield. Once SL launches, as it stands now, the reserve floats away and the shield is in PL. Nothing in SL at all. Am I really the only one who feels there should be something in SL as well? It's worth having the shield in PL definitely since it won't be available later and it looks freggin cool, but for what it does (Reserve and vanity) it isn't "worth" anything in SL basically. As mentioned before, at the end of the day, once SL launches, those who reserved and those who didn't are equal ingame. I dunno about you guys, and I really don't wanna sound like I'm whining or whatever you call it, but for 50 plat I really think people should get a lasting something in both games and not just PL.

Am I making any sense here?
    Your wanting a name that's already taken in pl for sl is exactly why the 50plat is worth saving the name for those of us who have a name that we want already. IMO the hardlight doesn't look that great but now I don't have to worry about someone downloading the game before me and taking my name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If they offer too much for that 50p, it becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity. Yes, it's overpriced -- but look how many people went and bought it for the shield even though they don't need the name reservation. Will get a bit out of hand if more people start feeling they have to buy it for the extras instead of what it's really offering.

But, I guess that's good business on STS's end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    Your wanting a name that's already taken in pl for sl is exactly why the 50plat is worth saving the name for those of us who have a name that we want already. IMO the hardlight doesn't look that great but now I don't have to worry about someone downloading the game before me and taking my name.
    I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    If they offer too much for that 50p, it becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity. Yes, it's overpriced -- but look how many people went and bought it for the shield even though they don't need the name reservation. Will get a bit out of hand if more people start feeling they have to buy it for the extras instead of what it's really offering.

But, I guess that's good business on STS's end.
    I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 06-08-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.
    Because the shield was just a bonus. The name reserve is 50p. If you felt that the shield was worth 50p, that's your choice. They never promised anything more than that. But you bought the shield knowing full well what you were getting -/ so don't go begging for more after the fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

all I know is that no one is going to take the names I already have since they are so out of ordinary.
    but I am definitely planning to go on release day and snag a great name. like "yes" or "hi" or "pro" lol
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.
    K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?

because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vulgarstrike View Post
    because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.
    And not falling victim to a name bot is enough for some to pay the 50 plat