Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Note for Tanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Default Note for Tanks

Hey all, this is my first post on sts forums, and first off I wanna apologize if I offended anyone while playing. I tend to be a little moody when I play as my tank. I get annoyed when other bears pull mobs off the wall into the center of room. Sometimes I say some mean things to people and boot them for such things. I first try to say things nicely because I am sure that this annoys other people also. It just makes runs go quicker when a group collaborates. I have played with other bears, and I always ask who is gonna pull/tank etc. I get along with many other good tankers, and I by no means think I am an expert (however I think I am pretty good hehehe) Anyway, let me know if any of you have had similar experiences and how you handle it, whether you boot or just find another game. If you have done any runs with me let me know what you think! I am newly 55 bear, and working on my equips now. Let me know if you have any suggestions for me. I'm excited to hear your responses.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I do one of two things when I am running with my bears:

1) Make my own games or run with friends

Which leads to the second thing...

2) When bears "break up my pull", I politely ask them to let me lead and teach how beckoning/stomping into the wall is the most effective way to crowd. If I get attitude or the bear(s) do not listen, the boot comes hard and swift.

If however, you find yourself in a pug or in someone elses game, let the bad tank continue to scatter the mobs and others will soon get tired ofnchasing monsters around the screen.

Just remeber to try and keep your cool. I too get frustrated at times and have to remember that in a few minutes, the game will be over and I can find another team! Good luck!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I rarely join a PUG, but if this happens I politely try to give advice. Usually they dont listen... Then I simply leave

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Eh when I see a tank scatter mobs I add three minutes to my expectation for how long the map will take. Something I've noticed is that the scatterbears do the worst job holding aggro on bosses. Leading to my bird getting his beak smashed in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Hmm, what's your IGN? I might have played with you? I also try and coordinated with other bears.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

The most simply, straight forward, and non offensive line I use and seems to teach while scold is this:

"WALL PULLS ONLY PLEASE!"

Followed by

"THANKS"

Lol... seems to work for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Always feel nice when team or at least 1 person says im doing a good tank/puller dog erm.. i meant job

Hated also when other bears keep on beckoning boss when its perfectly stuck on wall.

But then some birds/mages need also to let us do our job properly. half of time they die because they put a foot before us lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Thanks everyone, personally like "WALL PULLS ONLY PLEASE", short and sweet. In response to Apollo, not so sure what IGN, lol, this is my first MMO and i picked up in most terminoligy. guess you are asking my other characters? My mage is eyeofnewt and my bird is eyesssniper, both 55. And i DEFINATELY played with your bodyguardz

Kakatoa, i too love when people encourage me by saying i am doing a good job. It nice to feel appreciated. I also like when people say ty when i rez as my mage. its just good manners, it is 2 letters, not that hard. I sometimes rush as my mage/bird, but never in sewers or shadow caves. if i do i usually die and have nobody to blame but myself.

Kraze, i notice it is a little hard to hold aggro on bosses, but i like to rush in there as tank and build some up before the group comes in. No1 will ever wait for this so i usually try to rush in before the last mob is killed. I pull to wall, stop and scream, and rush to boss. Its espically hard when you have birds with top of the line equips. Before i played as my bear i didn't realize how hard it was for a str bear to hold aggro on a boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LelouchX View Post
    Kraze, i notice it is a little hard to hold aggro on bosses,
    Is your "taunt" maxed out?
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Is your "taunt" maxed out?
    Yes. All my buffs (except the healing one) are maxed out, as well as hell scream, taunt, beckon, and stomp. I also maxed out the fist (forgot the name) and use mainly to debuff bosses. I split the rest among the single target attack skills. I know my damage output is probably low compared to birds and elves (especially with the mage skills) but seems comparable to other bears. I see you have duel spec, i was considering going for this but wanted to get some better archer gear first. I think it is easier to hold aggro when using dex equips, or so i noticed from bears that use them on bosses. Is this what you usually do for bosses?

BTW, thanks for the quick responses, wasn't expecting as much overnight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I am a bow bear and run ahead. I will pull stomp into a corner and after that they belong to the tank. Different players, different styles perhaps you can try and find a way to adapt to different play styles and teach yourself to react to "bad bears" regaining control of this situation. To me that is what makes pugs interesting. Running with the same folks all playing in harmony is fun but gets mechanical after a while. More fun with "random-joe" stomping everything in the middle of a room and running away, this is when your tank skills are really put to the test!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like to give advice, Im not the best bear but I have been known to make a few pulls I try to explain to the "young" bears that more than likely, they will eventually get booted for pulling mobs to the center of the room and scatter em...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    I am a bow bear and run ahead. I will pull stomp into a corner and after that they belong to the tank. Different players, different styles perhaps you can try and find a way to adapt to different play styles and teach yourself to react to "bad bears" regaining control of this situation. To me that is what makes pugs interesting. Running with the same folks all playing in harmony is fun but gets mechanical after a while. More fun with "random-joe" stomping everything in the middle of a room and running away, this is when your tank skills are really put to the test!
    With a good group i do the same so that i can pull the next mob while others use their AOE to kill the one i just put against the wall. Haven't had any complaints so i keep doing. Only complaint i get is that i say "wait here" too often because i preset it. some people don't know how to let tanks pull but other get annoyed, they say "we know the drill" etc. Regarding where you say "putting your tank skills to the test," i never thought of it this way. What i do sometimes is wait for the scatterbear (love that word, thanks Kraze) to pull to center and then pull right after to try to catch the enemies before they are everywhere. this doesn't always work however.

Quote Originally Posted by apoceq View Post
    I like to give advice, Im not the best bear but I have been known to make a few pulls I try to explain to the "young" bears that more than likely, they will eventually get booted for pulling mobs to the center of the room and scatter em...
    While i boot sometimes after i get annoyed, i rarely see others boot these young scatterbears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

With a good group i do the same so that i can pull the next mob while others use their AOE to kill the one i just put against the wall. Haven't had any complaints so i keep doing. Only complaint i get is that i say "wait here" too often because i preset it. some people don't know how to let tanks pull but other get annoyed, they say "we know the drill" etc. Regarding where you say "putting your tank skills to the test," i never thought of it this way. What i do sometimes is wait for the scatterbear (love that word, thanks Kraze) to pull to center and then pull right after to try to catch the enemies before they are everywhere. this doesn't always work however.
    Took me a while to look at it this way but now that I do it makes the game a lot more fun (for me).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I am usually dex full time unless playing with no mages or in a pug (rare). I spam taunt and try to make sue I am always first into a room to get aggro on me. It is difficult sometimes, especially with a bird in custom, but just do the best you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have got booted for accidently fat fingering beckon on boss's before. It's not uncommon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Had some games with full bears with some on dual/dex mode
    thats the only kind of team i dun mind beckon, stomp all over...
    its true its fun to c mobs flyin all over.
    And actually, i rarely saw a bear dieing.
    A bit like everyone thinking i wont die in front of other bears... it would look bad
    Only bosses take more time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I totally agree with the OP... I too find it irritating when joining PUGs, for example, and other bears use beckon at the wrong time and mobs are scattered all over the place.

In saying that, I think we should also look to provide some constructive criticism and take into consideration other bears builds, as they might be lacking sufficient hit%, which could cause a similar outcome (depending on where they position themselves when pulling).

I think 85% to 90% hit is suffice, but I would personally recommend 88% to 90% hit... just my 2c

PL : xBearSpiritx (Lvl 66 Tank Bear) | xPallax (Lvl 60 Pure Int Elf) | xDarkWraithx (Lvl 61 Pure Dex Bird)
    SL: Crusader (Lvl 26 Commando) | Contra (Lvl 26 Operative) | xPallax (Lvl 26 Engineer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xBearSpiritx View Post
    In saying that, I think we should also look to provide some constructive criticism and take into consideration other bears builds, as they might be lacking sufficient hit%, which could cause a similar outcome (depending on where they position themselves when pulling).

I think 85% to 90% hit is suffice, but I would personally recommend 88% to 90% hit... just my 2c
    I have 88% hit i believe, and somtimes my beckon won't pull much of a group. Does the weapon type have any effect on this? I thought i read in one of the forums something about the weapon influencing the damage your skills do. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but your response made me think of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have 88% hit i believe, and somtimes my beckon won't pull much of a group. Does the weapon type have any effect on this? I thought i read in one of the forums something about the weapon influencing the damage your skills do. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but your response made me think of it.
    I don't think it would affect your pulling ability using beckon with 88% hit, but I believe swords are greater than any 1H Weapon at par.

It seems that the 1H Sword always gives more skill damage, as opposed to using axes.

PL : xBearSpiritx (Lvl 66 Tank Bear) | xPallax (Lvl 60 Pure Int Elf) | xDarkWraithx (Lvl 61 Pure Dex Bird)
    SL: Crusader (Lvl 26 Commando) | Contra (Lvl 26 Operative) | xPallax (Lvl 26 Engineer)