Thread: Economy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Post Economy

Hey everyone,

I'm writing this because some people don't understand what's the part of StS in the AL economy.

Let me explain you the basics:

Trade: the act of exchanging one's goods for someone else's goods. It could be item for an item or item for gold or a mix of both.

Auction: a software that helps the player finding another player that would buy his item for the price he is asking.

Now where is StS in all this? StS has nothing to do between trades. They set a liquidate price and thats ALL. StS is a team of developers that create new content for players and they are winning their life by selling their game like any game company. They seriously don't give a single "meow" about the items' value because it's none of their business. They wont't start thinking: oh the value of kershal is too low, if we release lvl41 mythics, kershal merchs will sadly lose a lot of gold and the people who spent a lot of real money on kershal are going to lose a lot of gold. Its totally ridiculous!

The value of items is set by players, and there is a natural law that most human instinctly follow which is the rule of the demand and supply. If you decide to merch something, that item's value might go up or down ANYTIME and it's all about the players who need or not those items. It's at your own risk. It happens that these days, the odds have been the worst and you got hurt the most. Let this be a lesson for you and everyone so you don't lose again later on. If you want to make certain gold in this game, you better be the seller then the buyer. Farm and sell, buy items that have a rising value... Who knows maybe the least valued item will be most valuable item in a few

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This isn't a banking game, you don't buy items to invest. You buy them to use. If you buy to invest, you take a chance. It's 50/50, maybe the item goes up in value or maybe it goes down. There is no way to know for sure.
    Small fact from another game: In Runescape, in 2001, they released a cracker that drops a party hat. All that was obtained for free and people were dropping those items because it had no value. Since then, they became discontinued and their value hit the max around 2009-2010 with 2,16 billion gold (the maximum value possible.

Another small fact: gems... They used to value 1000-1500 gold... Now see where they got. Want a good guess? Since they scale, their stat might be +5 for a normal gem and might be +8/9 for a grand gem for lvl56 gear. (Now lets see how the market of gems will go with this)

Let me explain you a last thing. When something bad happens, human often try to find someone or something to blame... And most of the times, it's everybody and everything's fault. Try finding a solution to correct yourself so it doesnt happen again because it might always change the way you want. I'm not saying to not post threads about things you dislike. Keep doing that, but also think about how YOU can change the problem so you don't fall again. Once you do that.. You'll be the winner more often.

------------------------------------------------

Few opinions from players

Quote Originally Posted by Ebezaanec View Post
    The difference between MMOs and real life is the source of changes.

The real life economy is vastly unpredictable and there are many, many indirect factors (company actions, resource supplies, political stability) that can influence market values. However, an MMO sees all that blame ultimately directed towards the developers. They are the easy bullseye for players to target because they directly manage the code behind the scenes.

It's best if people take a more casual approach to casual MMOs like AL. If people want to go the hardcore economics route, they should go play World of Warcraft or other MMOs in which stuff like "gold-farming" is an actual real-life profession. I devote a lot of time into the game and merching usually blows up in my face, but I don't let that affect me too much. In the end, it's just a game.

I remember buying a Nekro for 8.4m and watching it fall down to 5m in two weeks. I sold hundreds of my hoarded gems before jewels were implemented. My examples may pale in comparison to other's gold losses and I would get frustrated from losing that much gold, but it's still just a game. I'm not gonna quit or anything because I can always make back the lost gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinzmet View Post
    They got a BIG role on AL economy actually. Most of what you said is completely true on day-to-day basis. But remember that the devs have Q1 to Q4 plans on how the life in AL would be, if they would release the arcane weapon a week before the release the new cap what would happen? They probably won't get all the benifits they can get (players buying plat to open locks) because the arcanes would be 10 levels lower than a level 56 legendary weapon which would be on par or better than the level46 arcane but alot cheaper. They play the game too like we do, they know the market and use it as one of the basis in laying out the quarterly plans. They are also the ones who decide to discontinue items, that are relatively cheap but overtime would be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Prices are defined by both players and the updates the game receives courtesy of the developers.

Of course that's why most developers prefer nott to nerf/buff stuff, and when they do it, its termed as "fixing".

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

A good thread.

On another note, how did you post at 11:28 when it's only 11:27?

Dragoon is cthulu confirmed?
    Ign - Coolguymage

The awoken king ate me...so I guess in his stomach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Name:  PicsArt_02-08-10.00.53.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  43.8 KB

Justg has some nutella for you. Custom made for people you made this thread for.

Back to topic... +3

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greatankush For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

Very well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

The difference between MMOs and real life is the source of changes.

The real life economy is vastly unpredictable and there are many, many indirect factors (company actions, resource supplies, political stability) that can influence market values. However, an MMO sees all that blame ultimately directed towards the developers. They are the easy bullseye for players to target because they directly manage the code behind the scenes.

It's best if people take a more casual approach to casual MMOs like AL. If people want to go the hardcore economics route, they should go play World of Warcraft or other MMOs in which stuff like "gold-farming" is an actual real-life profession. I devote a lot of time into the game and merching usually blows up in my face, but I don't let that affect me too much. In the end, it's just a game.

I remember buying a Nekro for 8.4m and watching it fall down to 5m in two weeks. I sold hundreds of my hoarded gems before jewels were implemented. My examples may pale in comparison to other's gold losses and I would get frustrated from losing that much gold, but it's still just a game. I'm not gonna quit or anything because I can always make back the lost gold.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

They got a BIG role on AL economy actually. Most of what you said is completely true on day-to-day basis. But remember that the devs have Q1 to Q4 plans on how the life in AL would be, if they would release the arcane weapon a week before the release the new cap what would happen? They probably won't get all the benifits they can get (players buying plat to open locks) because the arcanes would be 10 levels lower than a level 56 legendary weapon which would be on par or better than the level46 arcane but alot cheaper. They play the game too like we do, they know the market and use it as one of the basis in laying out the quarterly plans. They are also the ones who decide to discontinue items, that are relatively cheap but overtime would be expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Well said dude