Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Shortcomings of Arcane Staff

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Default Shortcomings of Arcane Staff

Since STS is not commenting on any of the various threads about the arcane staff, I'll make a new one summarizing the issues. I hope they actually read it, and test it and give it a slight damage buff.

1) Charging the staff to proc it costs mana. It does say we are procing a new spell, so I understand that, but 6-7% is a bit excessive IMO.

2) Skill damage is significantly less than a same gemmed wisdom gun (80-90 less). Daggers were in a similar place, but got buffed.

3) The stat bonus of the arcane staff is less than that offered by the sword and daggers. Daggers get Int, dex, str, crit and hp. Sword gets int, str, crit, hp and mana (which is important for set tanks). Staff only gets 4 stats (int, str, crit, and hp) compared to daggers and swords 5. Some armor, or extra crit on the staff would be nice.

4) Unnaturally long charging time for a staff. Seeing as it is a dps weapon, it shouldn't take longer to charge than a gun. However, since the proc is so good, a longer charge time than the gun is understandable. I think reducing the charge time by .5 seconds should be enough to please most of us.

In conclusion, a slight damage buff (equivalent of roughly 60 skill damage), some stat and a slight reduction of charge time would be ideal. Also would be great if we could hear from devs whether the proc costing mana was intending, and if it was, why it costs so much mana.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofninjas View Post
    Since STS is not commenting on any of the various threads about the arcane staff, I'll make a new one summarizing the issues. I hope they actually read it, and test it and give it a slight damage buff.

1) Charging the staff to proc it costs mana. It does say we are procing a new spell, so I understand that, but 6-7% is a bit excessive IMO.

2) Skill damage is significantly less than a same gemmed wisdom gun (80-90 less). Daggers were in a similar place, but got buffed.

3) The stat bonus of the arcane staff is less than that offered by the sword and daggers. Daggers get Int, dex, str, crit and hp. Sword gets int, str, crit, hp and mana (which is important for set tanks). Staff only gets 4 stats (int, str, crit, and hp) compared to daggers and swords 5. Some armor, or extra crit on the staff would be nice.

4) Unnaturally long charging time for a staff. Seeing as it is a dps weapon, it shouldn't take longer to charge than a gun. However, since the proc is so good, a longer charge time than the gun is understandable. I think reducing the charge time by .5 seconds should be enough to please most of us.

In conclusion, a slight damage buff (equivalent of roughly 60 skill damage), some stat and a slight reduction of charge time would be ideal. Also would be great if we could hear from devs whether the proc costing mana was intending, and if it was, why it costs so much mana.

After some testing, this is my opinion.
    1. Im fine with the mana cost. 2. Yes, spell dmg is noticable lower then wisdom gun, but im not to upset with it, the extra spell kindof makes up for that.. 3.seems unfair, yes, some armor, abit more crit or heave dodge would be fair.. 4 chargetime is way to long, my ping beeing less then 200 and still way to long. On bosses we want to stay ranged, and auto attack with staff is useless on boss then, would be nice to manage one charged in between skills (use 4x dmg skills at all times).

Summary:
    Lowering charged time would pretty much fix this staff imo.
    And a little bigger area of the spell would be nice, we are mages and standing on the tank is usually not the best place to be when fighting hard hitting foes..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Another point: When Two mages uses arcane staff, charge staff spell cancel one another spell, the range of the buff is already so small why is the spell cancelling each other when cast... (someone mentioned it on another thread as well http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...g-arcane-staff

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to will0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will0 View Post
    Another point: When Two mages uses arcane staff, charge staff spell cancel one another spell, the range of the buff is already so small why is the spell cancelling each other when cast... (someone mentioned it on another thread as well http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...g-arcane-staff
    Yes its true s*ck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I tested the arcane weapon,i cant agree more,the charge buff limit our movement and it costs a lot of mana,the DoT and buff are suck comparing to tanks and rogues new arcane weapons. Arcane weapon for tanks can stun and cook all the enemies,it s op.Rogue s weapon can stun. For mage? Nothing special and suck, it s junk and even wit gun is better!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will0 View Post
    True. I admit the proc shouldn't stack, but there should be as many active as there are staffs on a team.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    377 Posts

True. I admit the proc shouldn't stack, but there should be as many active as there are staffs on a team.
    Completely agree with this. I hate when im with another sorc and im trying to stay safe within my proc circle then poof its gone and i lose my buff due to the fact that the other mage charged his staff across the map.....please sts let there be at least 2 procs at a time.ofc dont let them stack i agree.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spell For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yup. A lot of issues and it seems nobody at sts cares deep about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

The thing is, that the staff is extremely good in PvE. The best mage weapon by far.

As for PvP I can't really comment, but arcane daggers are not the best in PvP either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I agree, King. I would buff up the staff damage so that it is a similar skill damage deficiency as daggers vs. bow. The mana cost should be reduced to 2-3% and a bump in crit is also reasonable. Lets make this happen! This will still keep the gun useful and also keep the staff viable as well.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Buff the staff. Make skill damage higher. Proc cheaper with bigger range and shorter charge time. And pls add more str or crit. Also add stun on charge proc. TY

Click my sig for some Arcane Videos!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    The thing is, that the staff is extremely good in PvE. The best mage weapon by far.

As for PvP I can't really comment, but arcane daggers are not the best in PvP either
    This thread is PvP oriented. Also, I think the 500 hp the daggers give for a mere loss of 20 skill dmg makes it the best weapon for rogue in PvP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

This thread is PvP oriented. Also, I think the 500 hp the daggers give for a mere loss of 20 skill dmg makes it the best weapon for rogue in PvP.
    382 health with same gems/jewels more with daggers. . Anyway I understand that the thread is PvP oriented, but this is a primarily PvE game and it is primarily in PvE where weapons have to be somewhat balanced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

I agree a stat buff, slightly shorter charge time and a similar dmg increase like the daggers saw, would balance out these 3 weapons relatively well.
    CO-GM <THE COLLECTIVE>

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorecaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

*keep this up*

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

1. Reducing mana cost would be nice
    2. Buffing skill damage would put it on nice footing like the Arcane dags and sword
    3. An extra stat bonus would be great. Maybe armor since we have to run near mobs for staff charging?
    4. Reducing charge time would be absolutely great. With lag issues and attack-canceling mobs, a faster charge time would be much appreciated.

And allowing multiple Consecrate spells to be cast (no stacking) would be a good idea too.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself. Seeing these changes would improve my love for the staff tremendously. It's very tedious having to charge the staff for so long just to see a proc that's range is so small and mana draining. Was it worth the gold? Yes. Are we asking for a lot to be changed with the staff? Not at all. I'd love to see some of these changes take play in game. Great looking out for the smurfs of Arlor. Take care.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    382 health with same gems/jewels more with daggers. . Anyway I understand that the thread is PvP oriented, but this is a primarily PvE game and it is primarily in PvE where weapons have to be somewhat balanced
    Let's skip the PvE vs PvP debate. I say this thread is PvP based because most buffs/ nerfs come from a necessity in PvP. Some examples are the arcane maul and Elon bulwark. Sns too. My personal focus in AL is PvP, so I am naturally more interested in the PvP balance. I don't PvE enough to know the implications of all these shortcomings in PvE, which is why I am not speaking about the staff from a PvE point of view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Let's skip the PvE vs PvP debate. I say this thread is PvP based because most buffs/ nerfs come from a necessity in PvP. Some examples are the arcane maul and Elon bulwark. Sns too. My personal focus in AL is PvP, so I am naturally more interested in the PvP balance. I don't PvE enough to know the implications of all these shortcomings in PvE, which is why I am not speaking about the staff from a PvE point of view.
    Let's not talk about 2-3 years old weapons please . Game is completely changed in that time and most people playing the game now weren't around back then. Anyway most people don't PvP.

Since you don't play pve I will help you understand: if the changes you are asking for were to be implemented the staff would be extremely unbalanced in PvE, there will be no reason to even consider the gun as an option and 4 mage pts will be a viable option in all maps but arena
    Last edited by Jazzi; 02-13-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

So i just tested the staff in duel with a friend. So the Damage reduction buff doesn't stack on nekro shield and shield of mages :/ and on top of it the skill damage of staff is lesser than the glint gun. Feel kinda dissapointed, perhaps ill just buy the arcane sword for my warrior.
    Last edited by Runel Joseph Ruiz; 02-13-2016 at 07:59 AM.