Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who exactly "frowns upon" power leveling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    But you grinded 50-56 with nothing more than 1.5 pots.

Also, your a contributing player to the community. Your fine.

It's the thousands of other clueless powerlevelers who think to beat gurgux, you have to put a speed pot on, and run out of the room, causing the boss to heal...
    True.
    I remember seeing whirlz for the first time at level 55, with ~6-8k kills. Hehe.

Anyway, there are players who can powerlevel, and still play effectively, but for the most part it takes time to master your class. For most players, power leveling just hurts them and the people they play with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derajdefyre View Post
    Here is what it REALLY comes down to. No one hates, dislikes, "frowns upon" or has any other negative feeling towards power leveling. What people despise is bad players. You can reach max level in one day or one thousand, no one will care if you play well when you join their game. The thing is that bad players tend to like leveling up as fast as possible without doing any work or enjoying the learning process of leveling up traditionally. It's a stereotype, and just like all stereotypes they exist for a reason.

All you personally need to worry about is doing what you want to do. This is a game, it's supposed to be fun. Don't let other people tell you how to play a game. If they don't like you they can leave your game or boot you, if you don't like them you can do the same. If you want to power level go for it, but make sure you take some time to learn how to play well or else others won't want to play with you and you will be easily discouraged by the harder content later in the game. If that doesn't bother you and you just want to be high level to go back to forest haven and one shot zombies then that's fine too. Do what you want and boot anyone from your game who doesn't agree with you.
    I couldn't have (and didn't) put it better myself.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otukura View Post
    True.
    I remember seeing whirlz for the first time at level 55, with ~6-8k kills. Hehe.

Anyway, there are players who can powerlevel, and still play effectively, but for the most part it takes time to master your class. For most players, power leveling just hurts them and the people they play with.
    I will never level with you again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Amen to that. Meant to quote joopiduh but I forgot sooo ....what everyone else said.
    Last edited by Weak_Sauce; 07-05-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

When I see level 50s with 4-5k kills and 2-3k deaths I assume they were power leveled and I stay away.
    Last edited by Weak_Sauce; 07-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

It's the elite players that bug me.

I don't really care about PL'ed players, twinks, or even players that don't know what they are doing. I would twink and level a RL friend so that we can play together. Later, I would try to explain how to play. It's not too complicated to play the mage or the bird, and no amount of playing will make it any easier to play my bear.

Inexperienced players eventually figure it out. And, it doesn't bother me if the group fails, I just try again. Players that say to the group, "you're all a bunch of idiots that don't know what your doing, go read the forums noobs!" And, then quits the group. Which is what happened in a group I hosted this week end.

If someone plays wrong, but is receptive to discussion, then you can friend that person and discuss ways of doing things better. Some people are really nice and appreciate the help. I would rather play with a bunch of noobs than a group that likes to talk about how everyone else is stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weak_Sauce View Post
    When I see level 50s with 4-5k kills and 2-3k deaths I assume they were power leveled and I stay away.
    How is that even possible if you only get about 1 point xp per kill, and you need about 20k xp to get to 50? Back in the days when i could have a level 30 kill mummies in Keeper i only got 2 xp per kill. So, how do you get to 50 with 5K kills?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    How is that even possible if you only get about 1 point xp per kill, and you need about 20k xp to get to 50? Back in the days when i could have a level 30 kill mummies in Keeper i only got 2 xp per kill. So, how do you get to 50 with 5K kills?
    If you just tag along and let the high lvl player kill everything, you still gain xp. To gain xp, you just need to be somewhere near an enemy getting killed.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    If you just tag along and let the high lvl player kill everything, you still gain xp. To gain xp, you just need to be somewhere near an enemy getting killed.
    I guess i haven't payed attention to kill counts. I just assumed standing near the group gave you the kill count. If you do nothing you get xp but no kills? Then who gets the kills? Is it whoever got the final killing hit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Unless a player has a high lvl twink i will not power lvl either, in my exp. Many who are power lvld not only dont know their skills but many dont have class either... Example several players in a room where power lvld to lvl 50 i was the pally, though i remained alive and rezed them the constant rev me and comments like ur a noob because i was fighting off a mob and could not get to them to rez... This is just an example of many not so fun times in a room of power lvld players. Knowing how to use skills is important to future game play.

Now assisting players in their maps learn their skills and help them with some exp. Is not a problem in my view a coupke lvls is a far cry diffrent than flying lvl 1-50 or 1-56
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Had a 55 in Sewers yesterday who was asking how to accept quests and I had to break it to him that being on a quest didn't improve your chances of getting a pink. Bear with just over 3K kills and just shy of 3K deaths (in comparison, my baby 24 bear has over 2K kills and 1 death). And no, CSB, I'm about as far from being 'leet as you can imagine. And yes, I answered his questions, set him straight on pinks being random and offered to go to town with him and walk him over to the quest-givers. I may not like power-leveling folks that don't know how to play, but that doesn't mean I have to be rude to people and if I can help them, maybe they'll get better.

Derajdefyre said it best, really.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I don't really care about PL'ed players, twinks, or even players that don't know what they are doing. I would twink and level a RL friend so that we can play together. Later, I would try to explain how to play. It's not too complicated to play the mage or the bird, and no amount of playing will make it any easier to play my bear.

Inexperienced players eventually figure it out. And, it doesn't bother me if the group fails, I just try again. Players that say to the group, "you're all a bunch of idiots that don't know what your doing, go read the forums noobs!" And, then quits the group. Which is what happened in a group I hosted this week end.

If someone plays wrong, but is receptive to discussion, then you can friend that person and discuss ways of doing things better. Some people are really nice and appreciate the help. I would rather play with a bunch of noobs than a group that likes to talk about how everyone else is stupid.
    Unfortunately, the less skilled the player, from my experiences, the more likely they are to be unreceptive of any feedback.

On the contrary, unskilled players are usually the ones calling the experienced ones "noobs" and not the other way around, blaming others for their mistakes. Not all groups will "get" it; some people are just too stubborn.

I have great respect for any player that is committed to self-improvement and is willing to listen to feedback. I know that they aspire to be better than what they are. The problem here is that there are a significant amount of players who do not aspire, who do not take responsibility, and who can in many cases, destroy an otherwise good group. Power levelling has probably played a role, which is why it is under attack once again.

I am proud to say that at least in the Bandit Boy Hideout, I have never booted a player for being "too low", although I will ask players under 50 to leave in the Roach Motel and Catacombs (it's unlikely that players with anything less than void/cosmos/rift or their shadow counterparts sentinel/hate/shadow will be effective, unless they are so far in the rear that they will be unable to contribute).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 07-05-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm happy to help people who are polite but when you come at me with an attitude you're going get what you're giving right back. The problem players were talking about aren't willing to listen and grow, they assume they know all there is to know and tell you to buggar off. There is always something new to learn.

Edit: whoisthis said it better than I ever could
    Last edited by Weak_Sauce; 07-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thats quite a generalization...
    You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
    Announcing the Pocket Legend Fan Site!! Become Part of the Phenomenon!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derajdefyre View Post
    Here is what it REALLY comes down to. No one hates, dislikes, "frowns upon" or has any other negative feeling towards power leveling. What people despise is bad players. You can reach max level in one day or one thousand, no one will care if you play well when you join their game. The thing is that bad players tend to like leveling up as fast as possible without doing any work or enjoying the learning process of leveling up traditionally. It's a stereotype, and just like all stereotypes they exist for a reason.

All you personally need to worry about is doing what you want to do. This is a game, it's supposed to be fun. Don't let other people tell you how to play a game. If they don't like you they can leave your game or boot you, if you don't like them you can do the same. If you want to power level go for it, but make sure you take some time to learn how to play well or else others won't want to play with you and you will be easily discouraged by the harder content later in the game. If that doesn't bother you and you just want to be high level to go back to forest haven and one shot zombies then that's fine too. Do what you want and boot anyone from your game who doesn't agree with you.
    This is perfect.

/10 zen
    Xymorg --- Xymian --- Xymli

A E O
    Proud owner of 20 charm points! /arcane

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xymorg View Post
    This is perfect.

/10 zen
    @your sig -20.1 charm points for putting that

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmingstar View Post
    @your sig -20.1 charm points for putting that
    Wait a minute... your not Ladylove... IMPOSTER!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will not power level somebody unless it is a friend that I know already knows the roles of each class. Even then I will only take them so far, say to level 20ish.

I will, however, allow level appropriate players to play along when I'm farming lower level maps. I will attempt to give them pointers. My opinion is that this is what is missing from PL: mentoring. I actually learned how to do cruel blast by watching a higher level bird giving a friend a boost. This was before I found the forums.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur View Post
    I will not power level somebody unless it is a friend that I know already knows the roles of each class. Even then I will only take them so far, say to level 20ish.

I will, however, allow level appropriate players to play along when I'm farming lower level maps. I will attempt to give them pointers. My opinion is that this is what is missing from PL: mentoring. I actually learned how to do cruel blast by watching a higher level bird giving a friend a boost. This was before I found the forums.
    The problem is that, no matter how many times I attempt to teach a player, it seems like 90% of the time they don't even attempt to try, even once, doing some of the stuff I mention to them. Ive even gone as far as to switch characters to my bear, to demonstrate "proper" bear play, only to watch them still just wildly scatter mobs about. Mentoring can only do so much if the player just doesn't care to learn. Still doesn't stop me though, as I love the feeling when you come across that 10% who actually do give it a shot, and later down the line pm you thanking you for the help/advice.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skavenger216 View Post
    The problem is that, no matter how many times I attempt to teach a player, it seems like 90% of the time they don't even attempt to try, even once, doing some of the stuff I mention to them. Ive even gone as far as to switch characters to my bear, to demonstrate "proper" bear play, only to watch them still just wildly scatter mobs about. Mentoring can only do so much if the player just doesn't care to learn. Still doesn't stop me though, as I love the feeling when you come across that 10% who actually do give it a shot, and later down the line pm you thanking you for the help/advice.
    Well... the bear is really hard. I guess I need lessons. My 55 bear has been booted several times for accidentally scattering, or for beckoning the wrong way. Oops, sorry... boot.