Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player Discussion -- Potion GCD & Ideas to Keep Inflation Down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too. You will hear the potion glurp sound fast 3 times, then a sudden delay, then another set of fast potion glurps.

Anyways, 3 a second. Would you guys compromise for a 1-2 potion cap per second?
    2 potions every 3 seconds woulds be nice for me

Tried it out, and it's more than enough.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Sounds good, I'm gonna test some combinations when I can actually get onto a Droid (Sigh..).

What about cominations:

2 potions, health and/or mana potions every 3 seconds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Sounds good, I'm gonna test some combinations when I can actually get onto a Droid (Sigh..).

What about cominations:

2 potions, health and/or mana potions every 3 seconds?
    Ugh, that's a tough one. I think I could do 2 every 3 for health and 1 ever 3 for mana on a non disabled boss.

3 potions every three seconds, with an and? I could do two, but it's a big change. You need to play much more carefully. This was all soloing; with a group I never use any health ones, just mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree with the global potion cool down.
    First, let me make it clear that I'm not by nature a potion guzzler; I like to strategically plan my attacks in PL, drawing out a few enemies from the pack without rushing into the room, but i haven't been able to find that possible in SL.

That being said, I've gotta say that there are times where potion guzzling has to happen. If a player is playing as anything other than an enchantress or engineer, that player is to an extent, at the mercy of others for healing. I've seen, in both games, players that refuse to heal or revive other players. I understand that you can't force a player to do anything but, if I go in to fight a boss with 4 others & the 2 with the best heal abilities won't use those abilities, it's not likely to end well unless I can use a ton of pots.

I've played levels with an enchantress who, through skill respec, has given up heal & revive.

It don't make sense to put a cool down on potions just because a few people are upset that others are using tons of potions.

Remember, this is still a game and you are free to play as you wish. while I agree with the pvp option not allowing potion use & the global skill cool down, I don't want my healing to be left to another player.

I understand the base reasoning, I've been in parties where 1 person rushes a room dragging the enemies back to everyone else, and yeah, it sucks...

Here's a situation: put yourself in a boss fight, one of those huge boss fights from AO3, and imagine your party has 2 healers & neither of them will heal or revive other players (it's happened to me before). Do you still want to have a cool down on potions, or would you like the option of keeping yourself alive to finish the fight?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Good point, you are at the mercy of your Party. A PGCD would require players to use tactic, and understand their roles. So private friends games becomes a big alternative. Keep discussing guys!

So heres the worst case scenario's with both sides of the discussion.:
    Cooldown is added - Players are at the mercy of the skill of the players in a PUG. If Blackstar players are anything like Pocket Legends players, there will be a real lack of skilled players, and PUG's would not be desirable.

Cooldown is not added - Players can continue the same routine they do on Pocket Legends, rush and guzzle. Leading to lack of tactic, and boring, dull dungeon runs.

First, let me make it clear that I'm not by nature a potion guzzler; I like to strategically plan my attacks in PL, drawing out a few enemies from the pack without rushing into the room, but i haven't been able to find that possible in SL.
    Off-topic, it is still possible. I recommend you go solo some low level dungeons for a tiny bit. You will start seeing patterns and tactics to luring, and coordinated use of stuns/DOT's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde:344950
    Good point, you are at the mercy of your Party. A PGCD would require players to use tactic, and understand their roles. So private friends games becomes a big alternative. Keep discussing guys!

So heres the worst case scenario's with both sides of the discussion.:
    Cooldown is added - Players are at the mercy of the skill of the players in a PUG. If Blackstar players are anything like Pocket Legends players, there will be a real lack of skilled players, and PUG's would not be desirable.

Cooldown is not added - Players can continue the same routine they do on Pocket Legends, rush and guzzle. Leading to lack of tactic, and boring, dull dungeon runs.

Off-topic, it is still possible. I recommend you go solo some low level dungeons for a tiny bit. You will start seeing patterns and tactics to luring, and coordinated use of stuns/DOT's.
    Yes, I have noticed that there are the same types of patterns to enemies & such.

I think the group nature of SL will cut down on the potion use, I'm sure the devs did when they made them so hard to come by.

I have an alternate suggestion: provide options when we make our own levels to make it with or without a GPC, while standard level entrances will default to the norm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I say a 1.5 second cooldown on pots. Thinm about it this way- even in pug games i could go through Frozen nightmares with a lvl 30 team when you couldnt use pots. I personally think it should be 1.5 on health stims and 1 second on mana stims.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    I say a 1.5 second cooldown on pots. Thinm about it this way- even in pug games i could go through Frozen nightmares with a lvl 30 team when you couldnt use pots. I personally think it should be 1.5 on health stims and 1 second on mana stims.
    We are more experienced players than the new players are, and it's (mostly) the new players that guzzle the pots. We should play the way we want as they play the way they need, so they can survive.
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tvis View Post
    We are more experienced players than the new players are, and it's (mostly) the new players that guzzle the pots. We should play the way we want as they play the way they need, so they can survive.
    New players cant afford to guzzle. Its mynas gen type players in higher maps that guzzle.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    New players cant afford to guzzle. Its mynas gen type players in higher maps that guzzle.
    The mynas generation... curses :/
    Excuse me, should have used "character" rather than "player."
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know if I should make a new thread for this, but I think it's related to the discussion here...

Kinda branching off from my idea let night on the GPC, what about making options for 'solo levels' from the create a game screen.

This would be designed for higher level players who don't want the noobs crashing their fun. I'm still thinking this through, but I wanted to get it out there for input.

The big reasoning for GPC seems to be to, in a sense, 'force strategic play' as it were. I like the idea behind it, as SL is totally based on team play, but I spent a bunch of fine soloing today in cycorp, mostly looking for buggy things, but also working through the idea.

Here are my thoughts, feel free to share what you think about them.

1: 'Generic' games are those created by hitting the quest button, entering the elevators, etc. These would be designated, by default, as team play.

2: 'Your' games are the ones you create from the create a game screen.

3: SL defaults to low recovery rates & other ideas that really encourage team play. Don't get me wrong here, I like the design, i'm just making a suggestion.

In 'generic' games, the GPC would be enabled no matter what, and recovery rates stay low, to continue to promote team play.

In ' your' games, you can set a sliding scale for GPC in case, for instance, you wanna see if you can take on that boss alone & win, no matter how many potions you burn. Also, in ' your' games, recovery rate can become armor dependant but it's also based on a proportion of players, ie: if you are alone, your armor gives you a recovery boost at 100% of the bonus listed for the armor you have equipped - and I'm not taking the 40+/sec that can happen in PL, but something more than the base of 1/sec that we see now. If there are 2, recovery rate goes to 75%, if 3, 50%, if 4, 25% and if 5, it goes to the base of 1, ignoring armor.

It cut me off before I was done...

Anyway, changing these options when making a game forces you to put a password on the game, giving you the 'friends only' or even a kind of 'hardcore mode'.

just my thoughts, wondered what anyone else would think.
    Last edited by dcichoracki; 07-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.