Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Operative Skills and Equipment Guide

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Yeah, the 16 crit versus 7 crit is a no-brainer in my book (since having a high crit does help out with Op skills). Even though the Desert Rat set has higher damage and armor, its very, very minimal (I think it was like 3-4 points IIRC) to the point where its inconsequential. The only advantage to the Desert Rat set is the relatively large mana boost (and mediocre health boost)...plus it costs no Platinum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    I havent figured whether maxed Blur would be better than Maxed Inner Focus. I can see that once people start piling money, Inner Focus will be obsolete and people are more willing to go through stimpacks than they are now - I think then maxed Blur would suffice. But as of now its hard to figure out if one is more cost-saving than the other.
    The thing is, inner focus restores mana and health.

Blur just reduces an operative's health. Although, in the once harder levels are introduced and in PvP, I'm sure that blur will prove essential. As it stands though, money is hard to come by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Recently I've seen combos being used in SL, could you please explain what I need to do to achieve this.
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Combo info is located here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...Update-(66819)

•Suppression (Engineer) + Force Hammer (Commando) = Mez Breaker
    •Graviton Slam (Commando) + Lurch (Operative) = Ripper
    •Psychic Lash (Operative) + Transference (Engineer) = Backlash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Changes to skill descriptions have been made to reflect the most recent patch (67256).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hi guys! Back from a long hiatus due to severe boredom over PL and Apple taking it's time with SL approval. Great guide Phys because I had no clue what was what with this new game lol. I didn't go with the name Kindread this time since Grendel sounded so much cooler.

Grendel
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

In the end, I decided to buy a full platinum set except the weapon, which I am currently using strange metal pistols.

I got a lot of platinum from the devs during the changes to PL and tbh, I don't feel that resentful about the cost. Besides, I think it beats spending 50 plat on a vanity item - the Outlaw set is quite useful.

I'm still debating between a dual pistol versus rifle setup and if rifle, which rifle.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 08-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Potential build

Page 1:
    Neural Shock 1 (when a level cap comes, it will probably worth adding more points; the debuff is quite substantial)
    Sympathetic Anguish 4 (if there is a level cap raise and the max is still 6; this might be maxed out)
    Mind Wrack 6 (check out Kamikazee's thread on it)
    Amplify Pain 6

Page 2:
    Inner Focus 6
    Lurch 1

The goal is to have minimal page flipping and maximum possible damage, while maintaining moderate potion usage (expensive in SL currently).

- Blur: Personally, I find that blur only offers 6 seconds, which is not nearly enough. 6s is critical perhaps for PvP, but for sustained fights in PvE ... not enough to justify the points IMO.
    - Flames: Stun is ineffective against what needs to be stunned the most - a boss (admittedly lurch suffers from similar weaknesses, but overall it appears to be much more effective); and stun is unreliable; lurch when it hits always "works" save against bosses immune to it. Mobs ... DOT is too slow. Bosses have really high armor, so the effective damage per DOT "pulse" won't be that high.
    - Psychic Lash: Bosses are resistant to being "rooted" (for lack of a better term) in place. Does not do enough damage against mobs.
    - Psychic Binding: Does not do any damage; ineffective vs. ranged enemies. Bosses are also resistant to it's effects (as you might have predicted). Possibly useful though for operatives thinking about soloing.

Currently debating what to add the 25th point for level 26 players; either 1 more to sympathetic or to neural - which has more net effectiveness vs. boss? Neural has a serious argument here.

Other thoughts:

I think all operatives should design their builds specifically to counter bosses. The majority of mobs present little difficulty to most groups, even on Numa. Of greater concern are mini bosses like the large Vulars and tough to kill bosses like the Guardian. Amplify pain should always be used first when engaging tough to kill opponents.

There is a certain "synergy" that goes on. Cycle of attack:

1. First amplify pain increases your damage per hit and it increases your chances of crit. It has a 12m range anyways.

2. Next should be mind wrack, which increases your probability to crit. The skill damage itself will also benefit from amplify pain.

3. Sympathetic anguish should follow. Because of amplify pain, which increases damage per hit (both by buffing you and debuffing enemy armor) along with with your crit probability and mind wrack, which increases the damage done by crit in the event that you do crit, this has the potential to be the biggest single damage dealer if it crits. If there are nearby enemies (some bosses spawn "underlings"), there is a chance that they can be hit. Often regular mobs protect minis as well.

4. Neural shock - if the target is still alive (expected if the target is a boss or a mini), debuff them.

5. Lurch - flip the page and push the target away (note that some bosses are resistant to this). If damage has been sustained, because the page is flipped, inner focus can also be accessed (debatable whether this should be pressed because of the damage reduction). Flip back immediately after.

6. By the time they return, the amplify pain should have recharged.

Edit: Compare

Mind Wrack
    Lv 6: 10 energy, 6 sec. cool-down, 12m range, 15-25 damage
    Average Damage: 20

Neural Shock:
    Lv 6: 10 energy, 7 sec. cool-down, 12m range, 12-26 damage, -20 hit chance and -4 critical chance to target for 5 sec.
    Average damage: 19

Sympathetic Anguish
    Lv 6: 15 energy, 10 sec. cool-down, 12m range, 10-25 damage, can jump targets up to 2 times -20% damage per jump.
    Average Damage: 17.5

If I remember from the beta; sympathetic used to be the most powerful single attack. Now though ... only the most potent overall attack if it jumps. Perhaps sympathetic should be 1? Another thing to note is that sympathetic has a slower recharge, which negates the positive effects from jumping, yielding less effective damage, especially against a single target.

Page 1:
    Neural Shock 4
    Sympathetic Anguish 1
    Mind Wrack 6
    Amplify Pain 6

Page 2:
    Inner Focus 6
    Lurch 1

Under this arrangement, perhaps 3 & 4 should be reversed?
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 08-26-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Sorry about the thread hijack.

One more thing - with the new update, note that the skill damage range is now fixed. Equipment and points in dex have no impact on the description. This makes finding real skill damage a pain because we now don't have the ranges conveniently written for us.

In PL, we could compare with a universal constant between equipment and points of str, dex, and int - if we had a every bird with say, a blast shot at 6, the damage range would be conveniently listed for us.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 08-26-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    In the end, I decided to buy a full platinum set except the weapon, which I am currently using strange metal pistols.

I got a lot of platinum from the devs during the changes to PL and tbh, I don't feel that resentful about the cost. Besides, I think it beats spending 50 plat on a vanity item - the Outlaw set is quite useful.

I'm still debating between a dual pistol versus rifle setup and if rifle, which rifle.
    I switch between the Outlaw's Hardened Blasters and the Outlaw's Repulsor Rifle; the dual pistols can be used to quickly demolish enemies, since DPS matters less with low HP enemies versus high HP enemies like bosses. I prefer using the Outlaw weapons simply due to their Hit% and Crit%.

I've added your skill set-up as an alternative for the guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Potential build

Page 1:
    Neural Shock 1 (when a level cap comes, it will probably worth adding more points; the debuff is quite substantial)
    Sympathetic Anguish 4 (if there is a level cap raise and the max is still 6; this might be maxed out)
    Mind Wrack 6 (check out Kamikazee's thread on it)
    Amplify Pain 6

Page 2:
    Inner Focus 6
    Lurch 1
    This is the build I am running, except that I've dropped Inner Focus by 2 points and added 1 to Flames of Insanity and 1 to Sympathetic Anguish (4 Inner Focus is enough for me; I don't mind potting the rest). I will max out Sympathetic Anguish at lvl 26. When the level cap raises, I will probably max out Inner Focus, then work on Neural Shock, or vice-versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What implants is everyone using?

5% hit
    3% crit
    5 damage

I'm not sure which one to get, yet. I guess it depends on what gear you have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Hit% is of no issue to Operatives. If you're using a Desert rat set, you can use the 5 damage implant or the 50 armor implant (for tough areas). If you're using the Platinum Outlaw set, you can use the 3 crit implant to get your crit to an incredible 19%...probably the highest you can get in SL atm.

My current set up is basically Outlaw + Outlaw dual pistols + 3 crit implant. 3 Ops with this set-up and with the right skills = destruction on all maps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PolPL View Post
    What implants is everyone using?

5% hit
    3% crit
    5 damage

I'm not sure which one to get, yet. I guess it depends on what gear you have.
    Crit implant is the most effective overall, regardless of gear for level 25 ops. IMO, it's probably the best across all classes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So, even though Psychic Lash offers the combo with Engineer Transference, you still eschew it in favor of the other skills huh? I guess when you have to get picky with only 8 slots it makes sense. I've seen some combos activate, but not sure which ones and it's definitely not as common as PL.

There don't appear to even be self combos yet, right? I wonder if there ever will be. Although Amplify pain followed by Mind Rack is pretty good, one boosting the effectiveness of the other.
    PL: Jemnus - Lvl 54 Archer; Nasoji - Lvl 54 Enchanter; CaptainUrsa - Lvl 35 Bear;
    AL: Jemnidad - Lvl 30 Sorceror; Starkazm - Lvl 13 Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JemNI View Post
    So, even though Psychic Lash offers the combo with Engineer Transference, you still eschew it in favor of the other skills huh? I guess when you have to get picky with only 8 slots it makes sense. I've seen some combos activate, but not sure which ones and it's definitely not as common as PL.

There don't appear to even be self combos yet, right? I wonder if there ever will be. Although Amplify pain followed by Mind Rack is pretty good, one boosting the effectiveness of the other.
    I have not tested out what exactly Lash + Transference does but my guess would be double damage to a single enemy target + some debuffs that won't be figured out until PvP rolls along. You can opt to put a point into Psychic Lash instead of Psychic Binding though, but Binding works wonders when the party is overwhelmed by a lot of melee mob, especially in Narrows/Uncharted Ruins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The problem with psychic lash is that it would have to be timed perfectly with transference; most of the time, you won't get the combo.

Binding as was pointed out can be useful, although I personally don't use it. Most deaths I find are from Vular in Uncharted Ruins. There, lurch is a genuine lifesaver. Vular in Uncharted are very powerful and can kill an op or engie in under 1 second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The problem with psychic lash is that it would have to be timed perfectly with transference; most of the time, you won't get the combo.

Binding as was pointed out can be useful, although I personally don't use it. Most deaths I find are from Vular in Uncharted Ruins. There, lurch is a genuine lifesaver. Vular in Uncharted are very powerful and can kill an op or engie in under 1 second.
    When I run with a group I tend to plow through as fast as possible straight toward the Guardian to be time-efficient, sometimes creating a whole mess of mobs including Vulars. This is easily manageable with Psychic Binding to the entire mob, then quickly targeting the Vular and as you said, blasting it with Lurch. The team usually wipes out the mob or half the mob by the time the Vular decides to join the party again. If Psychic Lash turns out to be a great damage/debuffer when tested via PvP, then I would probably just use it instead of Binding. Or...maybe the lv 24+ skills that have not been unlocked might be even more useful than them both

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Great Guide. I do question the benefits of the desert set versus the outlaw set. Something about that extra 32 dex seems appealing and I'm wondering if there isn't some extra value to it that we might not know about. I do know it increases dps and I think damage also or vice versa. Thoughts?

Oh,and I echo that post regarding 4 skill points in the regen spell. I can get buy with that easily with little or no pot use. Better spent in Wrack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    Great Guide. I do question the benefits of the desert set versus the outlaw set. Something about that extra 32 dex seems appealing and I'm wondering if there isn't some extra value to it that we might not know about. I do know it increases dps and I think damage also or vice versa. Thoughts?

Oh,and I echo that post regarding 4 skill points in the regen spell. I can get buy with that easily with little or no pot use. Better spent in Wrack.
    Based off of
    1 point of DEX will increase:

+0.0833 Hit%
    +0.02 Crit [best stat for Crit]
    +0.012 Dodge [best stat for Dodge]
    +1 Health for 3 consecutive points, then +0 Health for 1 point; repeat
    +1 Mana for 2 consecutive points, then +0 Mana for 1 point; repeat
    +0.0769 Damage [best stat for Damage]
    +0.0909 DPS for 9 consecutive points, then +0.1 DPS for 10 consecutive points; repeat [best stat for DPS]
    +? Armor
    32 dex will give approximately the following:

Hit% +2.66, Crit +0.64, Dodge +0.384, Health +24, Mana +48, Damage +2.46, DPS +2.9

In the future when we are all richer, we can opt to completely leave out any points in Inner Focus. I suggested to max that out primarily for new players who need to save money on Stimpacks/Powerpacks since credits are very hard to come by, but once you are fairly rich those points can be removed for other skills Totally up to you if you decide to choose to place some points elsewhere!