Thread: Undercutting!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Undercutting!!!

Don't you hate it when someone undercuts your 3 day sale by 1 gold?? Everyone should boycott those sales. People at least sell a couple thousand less then the lowest price!!! I just put up a lvl 51 mega mage set up in the cs for 3 days on all of them, 2 of them got undercut by 1 gold -.-. I always buy the item that is more expensive if it only by 1 or 2 k. You should too!!! Thanks

Thanks Flowman!!!
    The best fruit in the world....PWNPEAR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pwnpear View Post
    Don't you hate it when someone undercuts your 3 day sale by 1 gold?? Everyone should boycott those sales. People at least sell a couple thousand less then the lowest price!!! I just put up a lvl 51 mega mage set up in the cs for 3 days on all of them, 2 of them got undercut by 1 gold -.-. I always buy the item that is more expensive if it only by 1 or 2 k. You should too!!! Thanks
    Well, buying the cheaper item is being a smart shopper and listing for less is being a smart seller. Personally, i dont have extra gold to buy the item one or two k higher every time i buy something. If you take the item off the cs to adjust the price based on the items listed currently, all you would lose is a little time and the listing price. My advice, dont list items for 3 days unless you are sure the price is stable and the listing price isn't really high. You dont wanna list an item for 3 days and have it undercut 2 days after you list it only to find that it expired the day later.
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

lol i usually just friend request the people with the two very close prices and see if they'll make me a deal. but for stuff that doesn't sell often, its better to try and sell on forums or just by advertising in the castle. its the risk you take with the market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Heylo! Guess what? If you buy a million items for 1G off, you save...ONE MILLION. So it's not that bad. >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I have to admit that I don't like it.

I usually memorize their names, and start undercutting them with 1 gold, as soon as I see they have an item for sale that I have too.

But yeah, that's cs. Nothing you can do about that. On top of that, if someone undercuts your 3 days sale, you'd probably best just leave it on cs. A lot of things can happen in 3 days, and your item might get sold. On top of that, I only put super rare collector items for sale for 3 days. Everything else either 3, or 11 hours.

Another trick to selling is knowing at what time of day stuff sells most. So basically, put it on cs at times when sales should be moving strong

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

it's more than a little bit your fault for putting up a 3 day auction. there are very few items rare enough to warrant such a lengthy auction time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

:O More negative feeback than i thought! Ok all your points noted. The only reason i put it up for 3 days was because I was tired of trying to sell it in balefort(not through the cs). And relisting it btw...would be the same as spending 1 or 2k more^^,oh well hope it sells within the 3 days.

Thanks Flowman!!!
    The best fruit in the world....PWNPEAR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

As a smart seller here's what to do:
    Sell stuff overnight, just like Superior Blade Steels, they get sold really low but infalte over night when there is less players doing the quest.
    Also do not sell something under 3 day unless there is at least 2 other items in it.
    Go ahead and undercut or match them.
    Undercutting is being smart, it is very annoying yes, but if both your items get sold, remember you WILL get 1 more gold than them.
    Do that 1 million times and you have earned 1 million more gold than them.

Like N00bmigo said, it takes one n00b to know another n00b^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I always buy the the other one, since it's just 1g cheaper and i can always spare 1g
    MAINS: L56 Ursan xkiilzx, L55 Avian Unxtoxic, L55 Spellcaster Nonxtoxic, L10 Avian Merchant Toxicmerchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pwnpear View Post
    I just put up a lvl 51 mega mage set up in the cs for 3 days on all of them, 2 of them got undercut by 1 gold -.-. I always buy the item that is more expensive if it only by 1 or 2 k. You should too!!! Thanks
    I don't undercut, but I often list items for xx99 gold. Lately, I've noticed several instances where traders will then list the same item in CS but for one gold more. That makes me look like I'm undercutting when I was the original lister. Maybe they're trying to take advantage of buyers who buy the slightly more expensive listing???

Also, if I have a similar but different item from an item listed in CS, I will often list my similar item for one gold or ten gold or eleven gold less. I don't consider this undercutting (since my item is different). Actually, I do this to avoid the CS bug where sometimes listings will not be shown to buyers if there are multiple items listed at the same price.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I dislike undercutters, but understand the need for some to do it. I don't think I've ever listed an item for 3 days, but I guess you save gold on the listing fee so that's your call. I usually let items expire before I remove them even if my price has been undercut (unless there are multiple duplicates all under my price). Now if there is an item listed that I need and someone undercut it by 1g, then I will get the more expensive one (it's only 1g after all) but I understand why some may go for the cheapest item. When I list items I usually beat the lowest price in cs by 10k (if it's a cheaper item then maybe 1k) unless there has been an undercutting war waged on me then I'll remove it hourly. It's quite an effective way to sink gold into cs; so if you don't like being undercut it's probably in your best interest to let it go or prepare for war!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I have to admit that I don't like it.

I usually memorize their names, and start undercutting them with 1 gold, as soon as I see they have an item for sale that I have too.

But yeah, that's cs. Nothing you can do about that. On top of that, if someone undercuts your 3 days sale, you'd probably best just leave it on cs. A lot of things can happen in 3 days, and your item might get sold. On top of that, I only put super rare collector items for sale for 3 days. Everything else either 3, or 11 hours.

Another trick to selling is knowing at what time of day stuff sells most. So basically, put it on cs at times when sales should be moving strong
    the best sell times are at night for me (european time). i insert before i go sleep, in the morning sold most. saturday and sunday night are best of all.
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

They call me the undercutter...i never lose undercutting wars.
    It was fun while it lasted.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

One gold piece less is not a big issue for me as most the time, that item sells quickly anyway. The problem I have is when people drop sales by enormous amounts, like 50k because they need quick cash. An example: I put a lv5 expert leather in cs about a month ago when they avg. 250-275k in sales. Myself and a friend had the only two leathers in and put them up for 3 days for exact same price. About a day after the item was placed, someone came in and undercut us by 100K. Thus, 4 more leathers went in at the lowered price and all those sold before ours did. We eventually sold for slightly lower than our original price but took longer due to these massive drops in prices. THAT is what gets under my skin!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I see an item for sale for 1k gold, then I just liquidate it. If I see an item for sale for 5k gold, I'll sell for anywhere from 4400 to 4800. If I see something for sale for 500k, I'll sell for 475k. I just want the quick sale, but dont' want to lose too much money.

And, anything over 5k I do a 3 day sale. Why? Because I don't want to list 20 items every day (although I only have like 2 at the moment, need to re-farm).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindmaster View Post
    They call me the undercutter...i never lose undercutting wars.
    Lol, I remember one time a guy and I were both on, and he undercut my item, so I undercut his, he kept undercutting me and wasted like 15K and had no more gold to undercut me with. He PMed me, he wasn't too happy

/Coolstoryrbro

Undercutting isn't my favorite thing when it happens to me, or at all really (since it lowers prices) but that's just part of what CS has to offer, love it or hate it, it's there. Timing is a lot of it as well. Kinda sucks when you get multiple undercuts on a 500-1M item because you have to waste another 5-10K