Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Tutorial needs some tuning

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Default Tutorial needs some tuning

Although the tutorial teaches you how to move, attack, use skills and use potions: there's still some fundamentals that new players need to learn right off the bat:

The most important thing I can think about is the stat distribution. I saw numerous new players (some as high as level 10!) With unspent stat points. I think during the tutorial after the new player levels up there should be a pop-up screen that you touch that takes you to the avatar screen and tells you to disribute your stats. That's the only thing I can think of.
    Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Yes I certainly agree. This is a highly asked for tweak. It seems to be becoming a problem with the newer players not having a clue why their name is flashing. When I am in Forest Haven I get asked that often and I explain it but I am not sure they still completely understand it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siejo:351924
    Yes I certainly agree. This is a highly asked for tweak. It seems to be becoming a problem with the newer players not having a clue why their name is flashing. When I am in Forest Haven I get asked that often and I explain it but I am not sure they still completely understand it.
    Glad you agree!
    Another thing that bothers me is the ones that even out all three of their stats. But, of course that's up to the player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

I tell em that each class has a default stat but it is up to them to choose their path carefully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very true.

Starting a new char, I was giving away what I didn't need and a few players couldn't actually use anything of their level and were stuck with some early items...

But tutorials have been greatly improved already, nice job guys. Few lines of explanation should do the trick.
    (and maybe an in-game access to the forum guides

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recklessfa:353711
    Very true.

Starting a new char, I was giving away what I didn't need and a few players couldn't actually use anything of their level and were stuck with some early items...

But tutorials have been greatly improved already, nice job guys. Few lines of explanation should do the trick.
    (and maybe an in-game access to the forum guides
    Yup! Agree with it all. I think samhayne said that they will improve the tutorials.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne:353492
    Good advice and feedback, peanajitie. In the future, look for changes to the game to make finding your stats (and adding your points after you level) easier.
    He said this on my other thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Indeed...
    These past weeks have been telling a lot to new players to 'update stat or skill'.
    Some have hard time to understand to just simply click on the flashing buttons.
    Its a pain to c them lvlin with lvl 1 stat or also when they dont understand why they can equip the drops they get.

So adding something in tutorial might be good thing or make the flashing more visible like red?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91:353876
    Indeed...
    These past weeks have been telling a lot to new players to 'update stat or skill'.
    Some have hard time to understand to just simply click on the flashing buttons.
    Its a pain to c them lvlin with lvl 1 stat or also when they dont understand why they can equip the drops they get.

So adding something in tutorial might be good thing or make the flashing more visible like red?
    Red would be more noticable indeed. (: But would they know it means stat points?

10.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

We have a number of improvements in work to help with the new player experience and leading players toward what to do next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Eh good to hear that sam!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

They should also make babraz drop a weak item just a lil bit stronger then they make a tutoriol of it showing how itworks and also store npc amd other crucial features
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking:354142
    They should also make babraz drop a weak item just a lil bit stronger then they make a tutoriol of it showing how itworks and also store npc amd other crucial features
    Like a broken sword?
    I agree; that'd teach nooks the basics of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

it should also suggest they increase their main stat unless or until they know better. because too much playing w/ stats means they have to wear lower level equips. for people who understand, that's fine. for new players who don't know what they're doing, that's probably not so good.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea deff needs improving

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    it should also suggest they increase their main stat unless or until they know better.
    a default option maybe.
    If [first character] and [level]<15 make [add skills automagically] option checked by default.
    But there may not be that many players concerned...

As for tutorials, once you're suddenly thrown in forest haven town, you have to ask around...
    I guess there should probably be an area devoted to help clueless players. The elders temple, loads of npcs for combat / trading / questing etc FAQs, even some with a summary of our best forum guides. Pretty sure some of us would end up in that temple giving away hints and items... among avid guild recruiters ;o)

Discovering combos for example by yourself is nice but even if npcs where to give away this information there'd still be a lot of players missing it. So I guess it d be safe to even add some boss strategies buried deep in those FAQs.
    I remember it took me time to find out I could buy some potions... even more time to realise I could save some gold buying them from ellie...

provided STS, give them the in-game display constraints, I'm sure our most dedicated players would be delighted to see npcs in that temple named after them and work on a few most frequent Q&As...

- how to be a good bear
    - My role as a mage

ie: Yanis's npc

Last edited by recklessfa; 07-23-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh well. Thought it was an idea that could benefit the overall game experience.
    Took me some time to discover forums and i find 'giving hints' to 'new' players isn't always easy, since, however cautious you are, it may sound like 'you're not doing it right'... Same with admitting you don't know and ask a question or two when you're new and called your toon 'hellraiser' or 'iknowitall'...
    Bear's 'how to' in the swamp or ao1 differs from ao2 or lost expedition.
    Im discovering all the changes you guys brought to lower levels, new towns I hardly set foot in. Really great. But being a 35 ish bird now, I can tell that even few new 35s know the fun ways to play, Talk while playing, enjoy working with other players.

As supposed team leaders I'd say most bears don't have a lot of fun from lost expedition to ao2. Birds and mages basically know how to live without'em and lead the way.
    In 35 lvls i met and instantly friended only one bear that had understood how he could have fun with mob control, grouping mobs for us to nuke. Found pretty much by himself the 'quick, got the whole map baddies on my tail'.
    Another common experience: I'm spreading roots every time the skills are avail, and don't have too many lightnings combos... Nevermind.

Nothing new here I know, but since platinum ambassadors npcs are becoming more present in the game, how about having some 'gameplay or team building ambassadors' as well, for the sake of tutorials.

Not sure, technically, that a quest could be based on how much combos you're making in one run but that would have ppl wondering about how to create them and learn these mechanics in the process.

Npcs wouldn't have to explain everything in length if you guys prefer and could just give directions for each classes 'role', each skills uses etc...
    "Beckon ? Yes a powerful stomp right after makes a lot of damage. But how about trying beckon close to a wall, and them move away a bit before you stomp... Btw I wonder what would happen if your enemies were to be frozen before you do stomp"
    Maybe those npcs should be located in really difficult maps. Croc's or frozen nightmares idk

Only downfall of this temple of elders idea will be to find which privileged forum member gets to be in. Maybe not such a good idea after all, since they are quite a lot of worthy and dedicated contributors.

But I sure would like to help, as many others I'm sure, to find the right formulation to fit some valuable information in so few lines, buttons etc, if there were to be some kind of a contest.

Having to leave the game to browse the 'knowledge arcanes of the ancients' on how to play or gain access the real addictive fun you'll discover eventually at some point (some at lvl10, some others at 41) is quite a big step.

Ok I'm done, sorry thread, seems like I killed you. rest in peace.