Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Comprehensive: Why bears have the short-end of the character stick -- Long read.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

After a few weeks to think this over, read the discussions, and look at different builds in-game, my conclusion is simple:

Raise hit% and damage through gear.

Most bears in-game do not complain about anything but hit% and damage (or the lack there of). This is why we see so many dual specs. I still like the idea of swapping one skill out for some kind of ranged attack or a "charge" attack, but any changes don't mean squat without the ability to consistently land them. Even if we changed beckon to 100% land, stomp is still reliant upon hit% and means there still lies a chance of landing your combo only 50% of the time. A revamped version of the Hate set would make me happy. This set had a little of everything (although could have used a little more armor.) They came close with the Fortified Gemstone Sword set, however, the hit% and dodge take away from decent crit, and good damage and armor.

Just my two cents worth but I think the effectiveness of the numbers leads to more effective tanking.

.....and I'm spent!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post

Raise hit% and damage through gear.

Most bears in-game do not complain about anything but hit% and damage (or the lack there of). This is why we see so many dual specs. I still like the idea of swapping one skill out for some kind of ranged attack or a "charge" attack, but any changes don't mean squat without the ability to consistently land them. Even if we changed beckon to 100% land, stomp is still reliant upon hit% and means there still lies a chance of landing your combo only 50% of the time. A revamped version of the Hate set would make me happy. This set had a little of everything (although could have used a little more armor.) They came close with the Fortified Gemstone Sword set, however, the hit% and dodge take away from decent crit, and good damage and armor.

Just my two cents worth but I think the effectiveness of the numbers leads to more effective tanking.

.....and I'm spent!
    +1.

That, or do the other end of the spectrum, make us more of tanks!

I was testing the other day, a bird with a cyber/void set just using Blinding Shot on me brings my Hit % down to 68. With just his cyber/void gear and evade buff on, he would dodge my beckon 2 times out of 3. Lol. Cyber/void versus a fort set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I just found why bears have a harder time against birds most especially.

I knew Blinding Shot had a 25-30% Hit debuff, 25 at 5 and 30% at 6, but I noticed my Hit % drop way more than that against a bird.

This happened within a couple of seconds. I asked a bird to keep normal attack on me while spamming Blinding Shot.

I have a 93% Hit rate, yes, that's a -80% Hit debuff. 30 from Blinding Shot, 50 from 2x Blind proc from a Recurve bow.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I'm sad.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know what you mean my pure str bear was so weak i changed to a bow bear and seen a drastic change, liked it so much i went to dex bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pockettankk View Post
    i know what you mean my pure str bear was so weak i changed to a bow bear and seen a drastic change, liked it so much i went to dex bird
    Lol! That definitely helps my case. If we have to go bow bear to be good, why don't we all go birds instead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

New bear fun fact for the day:

Recurves, blind proc.
    Auto-bow, most range.
    Gemstone Wand (staves?), Nightmare proc.
    1H Swords, nothing.

Oh, and I found my biggest Hit % reduction today. 93% hit to -12% Hit in an FFA match.

Yay!

Will there be any confirmation of bear changes in the near future? I won't stop lobbying for changes and pointing out flaws until I see them.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 08-17-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

New thought, how about higher skill/attack hit rate for bears if they are nearer the target?

Take for example Beckon, 12m range. If used from 10-12m, your normal base Hit % applies. But the moment you get nearer, say maybe, 8-9m, your Hit % increases for that skill.

Same thing applies for other skills, at max range, your normal hit % applies, but the nearer you are when you use it, you get a bonus hit increase.

Pure str bears become more potent because going up close and personal actually effects hit rather than dex alone, while hybrid str/dex bears would still be a viable option for those that want to play from afar.

Just thinking out loud.